News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Question about Messed up map data.

Started by zman9000, 20, September, 2015, 12:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zman9000

I'm currently working on something that i need the maps from golden sun for.
I decided to download the editor again for the first time in forever so i could view the maps from there.
Before i say anything else I should make it clear I'm using a fresh GS rom and the 0.4 version of the editor.

I think this may have been a problem in the past but i'm not sure. I noticed that while most maps are fine, very few are glitched or corrupted. for an example, maps number 2, 3, 4, 10, 16, and 28 in GS1 are messed up. (number 2 being the world map and not displaying at all)

My question isn't so much how to fix this problem as i'm wondering what is causing this.
I both got a new rom file and tried a few different ones from different sites, and while i know i'm not using the newest version of the editor, i don't need anything else then to just view the maps (preferably with the grid overlay).

Is my issue caused by the editor, since it is an outdated one, or is my rom messed up? I'm pretty sure i've had issues like this in the past but it didn't happen every time, and either reloading it or getting a new rom fixed it.

I think something is different from the last time i used the 0.4 editor. I checked out a GS2 rom file and i'm having the same problem with the maps, including the over-world map, but i know for a fact the last time i used this editor that the over-world displayed correctly...
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Pretty sure it's not a ROM issue... I think it's the editor's fault.

@World Map - It's formatted a bit differently than the other maps, and compatibility was never added for it. (I never heard of it ever working before, so it is interesting to hear that last sentence of yours... Perhaps I was mistaken and need to check the code to make doubly sure....)
For 3/4/10 (Vale maps.) - Map tiles (The graphic indexes) in GS1 are 12-bit, however, Atrius's editor reads them as 11-bit, because 11-bit is what map tiles are in GS2. It's pretty obvious he didn't know GS1 did them in 12-bit at the time. (From some convos that occured in cbox a long time ago, I can say that I'm pretty sure he knows now, though...)
For 16 (Sol Santum map) - I'm not sure, actually... but I should look it up... (No idea when I'll look it up, though....))
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Luna_blade

I'm suprised there are almost no screenshot-maps of GS around the internet.

"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

zman9000

QuoteMap tiles (The graphic indexes) in GS1 are 12-bit, however, Atrius's editor reads them as 11-bit
this I'm now starting to remember... I think i may have asked something to the same effect in the past... but i know at one point i had some of the maps that shouldn't have worked working... more and more i need to go back and get into my old computers files... so many things i only realize now i could totally use.

QuoteI'm surprised there are almost no screenshot-maps of GS around the internet.
when i got GS2 i also bought a complete GS 1 and 2 strategy guide that had every area map in the game, it even had every door chest, and activation point in the game in each area marked with letters and numbers. as long as you went through the doors and did everything in the order listed you would make it through everything, and more or less would have a perfect run.
although even with this awesome guide i still couldn't figure it out for a few years  leaving me stuck in airs rock for months... i was like level 30+ until i got out.

Given all this I am surprised the maps aren't anywhere online... (though judging by the fact you can see little bits of isaac or feilx in every map, i'm pretty sure they just took a crap ton of screen shots of everything and stitched them together which is how they got all the maps... which that's a lot of work for a guide.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Quotebut i know at one point i had some of the maps that shouldn't have worked working...
Any chance it could have been a different version of the editor? - I went back to check my bugfix (Since it seems I forgot some of the fixes I made.), and I have one bug fix mentioned in a changelog.txt about the 12-bit map tiles in GS1... http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=2163.0

It doesn't include fixing the overworld/World Map map... (I never got that working... But I'll probably code that in my new C# program some day, anyway... I think I know most of what I need to know, so shouldn't be that difficult... I guess I'm just lazy at putting it together, sometimes.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Luna_blade

Quote from: Fox on 20, September, 2015, 12:54:31 PM
It doesn't include fixing the overworld/World Map map... (I never got that working... But I'll probably code that in my new C# program some day, anyway... I think I know most of what I need to know, so shouldn't be that difficult... I guess I'm just lazy at putting it together, sometimes.)
You could seriously write a code that would let you view the golden sun overworld???
Once you can view it, editing is just a few steps away right?
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

QuoteYou could seriously write a code that would let you view the golden sun overworld???
Yes... At least the map data without sprites... which is in the Master File Table... (I'm pretty sure I could do sprites as well... but i have not focused on how they were done much.... Yet!)  I am afraid the image will be so big, that doing a virtualized method would probably be the way to go, but in either case, non-virtualized is better than nothing at all.
(@virtualized = Basically dealing with only the blocks of data you need at a time.... so basically you make a new image anytime you scroll.... And by non-virtualized, I mean creating the entire image on load..) Imagine how much data that is with 32bpp, the format I use.

QuoteOnce you can view it, editing is just a few steps away right?
Umm... Yeah.... Pretty much.... Whether those steps are hard or not, is up to the coder to decide. - Doing compression where it needs to be done, and repointing data for data that is variable. (Compressed data is usually always variable.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

zman9000

QuoteAny chance it could have been a different version of the editor?
I joined the site just before version 0.4 was released, and I've never used version 0.5.
So really i don't know what to tell you.

Atrius (He/Him)

It's most definitely the editor not reading things right.

All maps are stored as a single two dimensional array, but the layers in the map have different tile offsets so they have to be interpreted differently.  Often larger maps programmatically alter the positioning of layers in the array as the player walks around making it difficult for the editor to figure them out correctly.

Quote from: Luna_blade on 20, September, 2015, 03:32:38 PM
Quote from: Fox on 20, September, 2015, 12:54:31 PM
You could seriously write a code that would let you view the golden sun overworld???
Once you can view it, editing is just a few steps away right?

I had ripped the whole thing at one point, it just never made it into the editor because of the complexity of streaming sections of the map into and out of memory as you scrolled around it.  It was just too large to load all of it at once like the rest of the maps.

EDIT:  About the 12-bit tiles, I can't remember if I ever realized that... I seem to recall having made the editor read them as 11-bit instead of 12-bit for a reason, but it was too long ago for me to remember exactly what it was and all of my notes are hidden away in a backup I have stored elsewhere now.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

QuoteEDIT:  About the 12-bit tiles, I can't remember if I ever realized that... I seem to recall having made the editor read them as 11-bit instead of 12-bit for a reason, but it was too long ago for me to remember exactly what it was and all of my notes are hidden away in a backup I have stored elsewhere now.
From the cbox:
QuoteSeptember 09, 2012, 07:12:30 AM - Teawater - That'll make importing Vale into GS2 that much harder, unfortunately.
September 09, 2012, 07:01:57 AM - Teawater - Yeah, that might be it. I forgot to check out GS2's.
September 09, 2012, 07:00:01 AM - Atrius - Or maybe it's GS1... In GS2 there is not enough RAM allocated for 12 bits worth of tiles.
September 09, 2012, 06:55:57 AM - Atrius - Vale is wierd...
September 09, 2012, 06:53:43 AM - Teawater - The code itself said it was 12-bit. = http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/charleysdrpepper/perfectvale.png
September 09, 2012, 06:47:17 AM - Teawater - Vale maps.
September 09, 2012, 06:46:58 AM - Teawater - Then why is it that when I made an edit to the editor that it displayed correctly in testing?
September 09, 2012, 06:43:51 AM - Atrius - What maps are you looking at anyway?
September 09, 2012, 06:37:12 AM - Atrius - Especially considering you can grab them and drag them around in the editor.

Wait, wait wait... You're telling me the tile values are 12 bit?  MADNESS!!  MADNESS I SAY!  There is not room enough allocated in RAM for that many tiles.
September 09, 2012, 06:22:03 AM - Atrius - I think the black /tiles in the Dekan maps were something else.
September 09, 2012, 06:18:15 AM - Teawater - This doesn't fix the black tiles in the DEKAN maps, though... Which is to be expected.
September 09, 2012, 05:51:59 AM - Teawater - *Check Editor* Yup, Atrius reads them as 11-bit.
September 09, 2012, 05:32:20 AM - Teawater - If you remove the "8"s... I get the result of the messed up tiles...  So I assume that's the problem.
September 09, 2012, 05:25:31 AM - Teawater - I'm looking at Vale in GS1 at position 0201A800.
September 09, 2012, 05:23:00 AM - Teawater - Hmm.. So the maptile numbers are 12-bit. And I've noticed some of those messed up tiles are in the x800s...
(Note that the last version of Atrius's official editor was released February 2012)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden