News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Zman's Remake Golden sun in minecraft project

Started by zman9000, 20, September, 2015, 06:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

...Huh.

Seeing it laid out in minecraft like that really hits home about how small many of these maps were...

Aile~♥

Quote from: Rolina on 30, September, 2015, 06:07:33 PM
...Huh.

Seeing it laid out in minecraft like that really hits home about how small many of these maps were...
Yeah, TBS and TLA were really good at making you take the long route through a room, or doubling back through the same room multiple times.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

No, I think it was the small screen.  Because you could only see so much of it, it made it feel much larger than it really was.

zman9000

Actually It was a combination of both of those, not letting you see large areas of the map with out doubling back.

As for an update. i haven't been updating on here every day like i wanted but I'm still working on the map. I've actually finished Tret's inside dungeon (not the out side because it doesn't fit.) and i'm having trouble figuring out what i should do about it.

I'm thinking about going through every map in both golden sun 1 and 2 to find all the dungeons/areas that have something in them that don't fit (aside from towns/inside of buildings)

There aren't many areas like that luckily, but the ones I've found so far are the following:
Tret, babi lighthouse, Altin Mine, and lumpa thief hideout...
I realize these are all in GS1 but GS2 is mostly clear, Though there may be one or two parts of aqua rock that don't fit and are off one block, but i'd have to check on that, its not exactly easy to get the right number of tiles counted on a single map, let along across multiple maps.

I'll either do all those areas before i post again or i'll do the Gabomba Statue cause I've always wondered about that one... in fact that might be one of the ones that made me realize the maps fit together (for the most part)
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

zman9000

Day 9 Update.

Not sure if i should refer to the updates by days anymore. I'm still working on this every day but i'm not updating it here every day. Well I guess it doesn't matter too much. Cause today I have a big update.

I'll keep the descriptions short

Tret's dungeon Inside complete
[spoiler]

Its only the inside because the outside doesn't fit
[/spoiler]

Great Gabomba Dungeon complete
[spoiler]

It actually looks like the outside dungeon, and the entrances and exits are in their relative respective places despite the dungeon being much bigger on the inside. I was impressed by this one more then any others so far
[/spoiler]

Crossbone Isle complete
[spoiler]

This one is so bit it goes from bedrock to above the clouds, and it has everything except for the boat at the end... I will go back and build it once i figure out how too, though I won't have a picture for that update but i will let you know when it happens.
[/spoiler]

Tundaria Tower First floor incomplete/work in progress
[spoiler]

The dungeon has an issue on the first and second floor where it doesn't align perfectly unlike every other room so far, but a few people I've been talking to have said i should build it anyway just altered sightly to make it work. I won't go into detail, but if you look at the first floor layout you should see the issue.
[/spoiler]

If you have any questions please ask. (Download link has been updated on first page)
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Rolina

Oh wow, throw together some nice decorative outside parts and the Gombaba statue would be totally legit, inside and out.  That's pretty cool.

zman9000

Yeah it totally would. Although the only thing i'm unsure about is the distance between each floor.

The way its shone in game the floors as I've built them could easily be right up against each other. but going from outside even the way i built them i looks like the mouth is way to close to the eyes.
If this is the case, not only is the distance between the floors off, each floor may in fact be a different distance apart from each other.

Still this is why I've been building multiple floor dungeons with plenty of space between each floor. enough room to separate the rooms with something like MCedit if someone wanted to, and also just enough room to put in redstone to make their respective puzzles.

Filling everything in is a job for another day. like i said before, for now i'm just going to build every dungeon in the game. Then if i feel like its something that i can do, or that it needs to be done i'll fill in the parts you can't see. But as it stands someone could totally edit these dungeons into another world to build golden sun if they wanted... as I've already gotten asking if they can do just that... lol

zman9000

Day 10 Update.

Not feeling good today so i most likely won't be doing anything but resting in bed trying to not get any more sick then i already am.
So i'll leave you with this. enjoy

Mercury lighthouse Complete
[spoiler]

Ran into a few issues, mainly dealing with the stair cases to the next floors being to small to actually build a staircase so i just put ladders for now. I also didn't build the very top as you technically teleport there and i'm not sure where to put it... though i may just add it in at a later time.
[/spoiler]

Only reason I ended up doing the lighthouse is because i got into a... sorta argument with salanewt/lord Squirtle about how big the lighthouse actually is. In the end he was right that it was much smaller then i thought but its a bit bigger then he was thinking,
I bring this up simply because if anyone is interested in making a round base around the finished lighthouse or at least calculate exactly how big that would be, i'm very interested in how many blocks/tiles/meters high the mercury lighthouse would be.
its not as easy as it seems cause if you were to build the roof where it is now, it would be shorter then it is wide... which clearly isn't the case for a lighthouse...

Rolina

What version of minecraft is this, by the way?

zman9000

The latest Official release version, 1.8.8
I plan on keeping it at the latest version when 1.9 releases, unless there is some reason not to, related to the project.

Majora

I'm liking it.
Will you make the world files available for download? I can use WorldEdit and replace the Minecraft blocks with equivalent textures from Golden Sun. Maybe get a few Djinn walking around...

http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=2645.0

zman9000

Hm... Since people keep asking I must have goofed when i tried to explain it before...
All information related to the project is in the first post, including a link to the world download, its even set up on this site so just clicking the link i have on that post will download it.
or you can go the downloads section of the site and in the page for it it has instructions on what to do with the file.

If there's anything else i should include in the first post let me know. I like to try and keep all related information in one place for easy viewing, since that's how i'd prefer to have it presented for me.

O and I'm not too worried about what you do with it... I'd rather see it built then have my name on the title of the completed thing... although it would be nice... lol

I'll be starting up working on it again tomorrow since i'm about over my cold, and i'll have a new update then or i'll hold off until i complete a new entire area like i have been doing.

Rolina

Ah, so it is 1.8+...

Why not use some of the ocean temple blocks in the mercury lighthouse?  I felt it kind of odd it was all diamonds.

zman9000

I'm not exactly sure how i want to go about adding detail. sure the diamond blocks are roughly the right color but i understand that having the entire thing one block type doesn't look the best.
Trust me it was something i had on my mind the entire time. in the end i just decided to get the layout down and add detail later.

I think i might at some point soon pick some small example rooms from a few different places and try building them out of a few combinations of blocks. see if i can find something descent for the few builds that are mainly built out of the same block.

Rolina

It's not just that - diamond is too... "clean".  Sure, it may be roughly the right color, but it's completely the wrong texture I think. 

zman9000

Little update here. This project isn't dead. Just taking a break.
I'm in the middle of making another desert and the lumpa fortress.

The reason i stopped was because i almost finished the fortress but realized i messed it up in a way that i have to delete it and remake the whole thing. in this project I've had to do something like this 4 times and i didn't feel like doing it again at that time, but i will end up doing it at some point.

The other reason is that the desert while almost finished is missing a small area because the map is corrupted in the editor, the picture in my guide is too small to make out accurately, and the location  is a bit more then half way into the game so to get the information i need to finish it i need to play through the game, but i haven't had time to sit down and play the game just to see a small map area.

Since i really need it to be as perfect as i can get in minecraft i ended frustrating my self.
But i should have these two maps done and the file updated some time this month, after which i "should" be back on regular updates for a good amount of time.

Thanks.

Rolina

Ah, that's fine.  I figured if nothing else, you're waiting for 1.9.  It'll sure as hell make building the Jupiter Lighthouse easier thanks to those lovely purple blocks~

zman9000

Ah that's right... I totally forgot that the next update has those blocks...
Well there isn't really a reason to wait since there are still a ton of places to build that don't need stuff from the next update.

But... I'll tell you what. Judging by how many times you have posted in this topic you are somewhat interested n this... So i suppose it wouldn't be too bad of an idea to make my first project after the next update comes out the Jupiter lighthouse.

For the Jupiter lighthouse, I've been both worried and excited to build it. The reason being that build will truly test my theory that all dungeons could be built in real life. this dungeon (aside from airs rock) might be the most complicated interweaving dungeon. not to mention there are also many things that need to align vertically.

I'll admit i had to fudge the construction ever so slightly in the mercury lighthouse to get that drop aligned up. but not by much, and it didn't change anything except the area between rooms, not rooms them self's. (basically it has a longer 'straight' hallway between the room you drop down, and the room before it)

I'm also excited to compare the Jupiter lighthouse to the mercury lighthouse. It might give me some insight on exactly how tall they should be and stuff with its other exact dimensions. I get the feeling i'll notice some interesting things.

Rolina

Well, between spiraling stair cases and more horizontal ones you see in modern places, I'm sure that that should be easy enough to do.  I mean, stairways give you a lot of room (pun entirely intended) to work with, so do what you need to do to get them to line up as they should.

zman9000

QuoteWell, between spiraling stair cases and more horizontal ones you see in modern places, I'm sure that that should be easy enough to do.  I mean, stairways give you a lot of room (pun entirely intended) to work with, so do what you need to do to get them to line up as they should.
I'll keep this in mind. for some of the more resent Buildings I've given up on using stars, even if i do have enough space, since in most cases there isn't, and a ladder can be used to the same effect.

But with that, its onto the update.

Day 11 Update.

Lunpa Fortress
[spoiler]
Aside from having to rebuild it (resulting in me taking a long break), the construction went rather quickly...
I'll admit there may be a few issues, ones that if i hadn't just finished rebuilding it, i'd go back, destroy it and rebuild it AGAIN. Aside from one room on the second floor that doesn't perfectly align (by one block), though you wouldn't notice it easily, while typing this i realized that i may have off set the entire second floor (by one block) which, in this case may be the cause of the error. So hey... thats... um... a thing.

Aside from that nonsense, I noticed some interesting things while building the fortress, and while i won't get into them here, its construction and layout is oddly detailed. something I've noticed in other structures. something i need to look into[/spoiler]

Day 11 bonus (Unfinished Lamakin Desert)

[spoiler]
Before the break This was going to be the next update. the larger area was complicated to get right and had to rebuild it a few times. it was frustrating, but once i got to the unfinished third area, i realized I couldn't finish it yet. In the editor, which is mainly what i use as a building guide, since the map view is detailed and even has a grid for the tiles, however the map for the third area is corrupt in the editor. not only that but the guide I have for reference, so i can tell how more complicated dungeons fit together, has a very small map for that third area. Meaning if i want to finish this map I'll need to play through the game up to this point just to get the map. I have no issues playing through the game normally since I've done so like 40 times. however it won't be much fun since i'll be rushing to this point just for the map. either way, this map should be done by the end of the year.[/spoiler]

I should have another update soon, With the next update i'll update the world file on the site, not doing it this time only because all it has is incomplete buildings and and complete ones i need to fix... constantly apparently. (also haven't noted their locations at the spawn area)

edit: updated front page of this topic, all information for this topic can be found there.