News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Zman's Remake Golden sun in minecraft project

Started by zman9000, 20, September, 2015, 06:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

So... when you get all the dungeons done, are you gonna tackle the overworld?

zman9000

I'm not saying no to that... but if i can get like... 100 people to help me over the coarse of like 3 years, then maybe...

After dungeons I may do towns. I've thought it over and I've realized, this is a fan project. even if you can't go in the tiny buildings, it would still be cool to have the town.
besides, is there any building in any town that's more memorable then the town its self? there may be a few but they are generally at the and of a town, so those could be built, but smaller normal houses in the middle of town won't work.

Then after towns are done (assuming i still care as much as i do right now) I'll begin connecting dungeons and towns that can connect. example being lunpa fortress and the town.

After all of that, i have an idea of what i could do. I've thought of building the dungeons and towns into the world, not having them floating and above ground like they are now. while i wouldn't make the whole world, i would make the world, in the area around each location. like the main one i'v been thinking about would be "mt aleph" the town of vale, and the sol sanctum, all connected in a world. I think it would be cool to walk around that. and really once i build vale i could easily do it, but i think i'll wait until i have the locations finished.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

zman9000

So... I went and did (the outside) of a dungeon I've been avoiding...
here you go...

Day 12 update
Air's Rock Exterior Complete.

[spoiler]
So this was planned to be a 3 day project but it ended up being a 2 day project. its only the outside so its not the whole thing completed yet. The inside is so complicated (mainly because there's an area that won't match up perfectly right at the entrance which judging by how it looks was one of those last minute end of development changes) in short it will take a while for me to even get started on it due to experimenting so don't hold your breath, it might be a while before i finish this one.

Other then that the weird shape of it has got me thinking, though that's not important for this topic, yet.[/spoiler]

Again I'm not updating the World download yet. My schedule looks like this...
21st: play through the first golden sun to be able to better view the maps so i can finish the desert i was having trouble with.
22nd: Finish the desert and plan next project.
23rd - 24th: small project i haven't picked yet. (edit: gonna most likely be kibombo mountains)
25th: experimentation with airs rock if i have time/feel like it
26th: update world file on site. and relax for the end of the year.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Rolina

OH man... good luck getting the interior to match up.  I'm cheering for you!

zman9000

Day 13 Update.
Lamakin Desert Complete/fixed
[spoiler]
Took an... ungodly amount of time to finish the last part of this map. between using the in game screen, the editor, and my game guide, all in combination to get a tile accurate version of the map...
Let me just say I've never been more thankful for the editors map viewer then now...
to put it in perspective. all i had left to do on this map was less then a third of it. the first part i had done a while ago took around 6 hours... for less then half of this last part, it took that same amount of time... total time for this map is around 15 hours of non stop building. the most time I've spent on any map so far by at least 5 hours. (Edit: should mention there is an area again in the desert that doesn't fit, its the area between the two halfs of the final area of the desert, i just have a make shift path there. Note that there's a chance that i may be able to fit it in and i'm just mistaken but it will take some experementing)[/spoiler]

I stayed up all night finishing this... though to be fair my sleeping schedule was already messed up due to holiday stuffs. I suppose when you can't sleep, building something in minecraft is a great way to tire you out... especially this freaking map... lol.

Caledor

I never tried minecraft nor i'm intrested in doing so, but man, you deserve props for your dedication alone. Plus the they all look amazing! Congrats and keep up the good work!

Ps. Additional props for your avatar

zman9000

Early end of the year update. I was going to post new updated world file after Christmas but lets just say i'm frustrated with what i thought would be a small, simple project, ended up being my new longest project time wise at about 18 hours, due too two mess ups and being complicated due to the detail it has. here you go...

Day 14 update, Kibombo Mountains.
[spoiler]
This was made more complicated mainly be my own mistakes. it was a little confusing with it having so many different levels and those levels moving from area to area. in the end the thing that finally let me finish it without much more issue was actually taking a bunch of screen shots of the editors map view and stitching them together so i could see in one image of the connection. This is a first and it was way more helpful then i thought, i'd even say it was totally worth the hassle to stitch them together given how much trouble i had before i did it. Something to keep in mind for the future.[/spoiler]

Last thing i should note, The world file has already been updated with this updates world file, and if you didn't know you can get to it from the first post in this topic.

(while i say this is the last update of the year... chances are i'll get bored and work on another project, so there might be another update on the 1st of the year ;)

Rolina

Took me a while to recognize it - it's not one of the more memorable areas in GS to me.  I got it after a while, though.  Looks pretty decent.  Of chance we can see the daylight version of it?

zman9000

QuoteOf chance we can see the daylight version of it?
Here you go, and at the normal north facing angle too.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Honestly I wanted to post daytime pictures, but some times i forget cause I normally do these at the end of the day and it can get quite late.

If you have any other things you want to see or have me do like this let me know. also if you have a better idea on how to take these pictures (like at what angle or maybe how many.) let me know.

Knight of Purgatory

Correct me if im wrong, but aren't there a pair of braziers at the first main staircase? Or are you not includng those details for now?
MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES

zman9000

There are actually a few details i'm not including, mainly because... well... while i plan to add them in at some point, they are generally in the way, stuff like the pushing blocks/pillars... basically for now i'd like to have you be able to actually walk around, since you can't actually push the blocks to get them out of your way. i also didn't include most of these kinda details on air's rock for the same reason, its a cliff face where its hard to get around on already, and these pushing pillars on one block ledges makes it confusing to see the actual mountain's detail.

But again i plan to add these details back in at some point.

However as for the Braziers... oops, i may have missed them. they show up in the sprite tab in the editor, and with how the editor works when you switch to a different map of the same area you also have to switch the sprite tab. now i was originally paying attention to it but after rebuilding the mountain like 3 times because of mess ups, due to frustration and the fact i wasn't including the push blocks that also show up in the sprite tab... i may have just turned it off... so that might be something i need to go back and add sooner then later... lol

zman9000

Piers ship is here and its looking... kinda plain... huh...
[spoiler]

Honestly there are several issues with this map, but i think i'll get into them at another time. for now i think i'll focus on the good things about the map. it looks amazing, it actually looks a lot like a ship, in fact i'm pretty sure i can build it into a ship... which i may do very soon. other then that, nothing i really learned from this that's different from other maps other then the fact base wood texture looks like crap[/spoiler]

Update of the world file will be on hold for now, mainly because there's some other work i need to do on it.... fixing things i had planed to but never did, fixing up the spawn area, adding some directions and messages that makes it easier to get around on the map. maybe some other builds that will be cool. you should see soon.

Lastly... i'd like an honest opinion from everyone who reads this. i don't like the solid wood texture of the ship. while i'm sure it would look better with some of the smaller details added in, i'm wondering if any of you think a different 'VANILLA MINECRAFT BLOCK" would look better in place of the floor or even the walls. maybe a lighter shade wood or a darker one. i don't know.
If you read this, please comment. if you have an idea for a different block, think it looks as good is it can for vanilla, or is fine, or you simply comment "I don't know" all of that is valuable input... cause honestly i'm lost with what to do when it comes to colors on these builds anymore.

List of things to look forward to:
piers ship full model (different thing then what i just posted)
updated detail on maps (should have been done before)
changes on blocks used thanks to 1.9 coming out (thank god)
Jupiter lighthouse (purple brick blocks 1.9 yay)
more regular updates (hmmmmmmmm...)

Luna_blade

Nah, keep the blocks this way.
I think another block will make it worse.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

zman9000

So its been a little while. Figured i'd give an update.
I have a job now, which turns out to be similar to this project in nature. so that's currently taking up all my time.

Not that much more has been done so i'm not planning on updating the map just yet.

I'm in the middle of building a full size version of piers ship with the full dungeon inside. I wasn't happy with how it was turning out because my creative skills in minecraft are limited to copying something, not so much building from scratch.

If someone is really interested I might update the map so you can check it out anyway or try your hand at building the dungeons into their surroundings or whatever you want, but for now...

zman9000

Update: Since its been a while, i decided to just update the upload link.
Piers ship is now in the world, along with a... poor, half done, recreation of the ship with the dungeon inside of it.
I originally wanted to made the dungeon, and then have a full size recreation of the ship you could walk on and inside of, but my designing skills for building ships is, not that good, and i don't even feel like showing it in a picture.
if you want to find it or even try your hand at building the ship better, there's a stone path from the spawning platform that leads to what was going to be a full recreation area.

Now...
This project isn't dead. I may have gotten a little frustrated with my lack of building skills and quit for a while, but i'm actually planning on starting again. My goal is to build the remaining lighthouses in their entirety, and finish up any builds i may have only half finished for whatever reason.

After that i may get on the world with one or two people and attempt to build the outer shell of the lighthouses and their surrounding landscape. just because I feel it would be cool to have a full 3d model we can walk around, and also finally get a true idea for the scale of the things. (cause there has been some debate over that)

from there If anything comes out of this, like that idea of building the world of golden sun... then that's up to someone else.

O ALSO. Not setting a deadline this time. Since i kinda have a part time job now, which doesn't have defined hours, i can't really say when i'll be able to work on this. so don't expect it any time soon.

Rolina

Oh, here's a question - when you remake towns, will you be scaling the outside to match the inside, or the inside to match the outside?  I'm actually super interested in checking out a town that's been expanded to have a block-to-tile ratio to match building interiors.

zman9000

I've actually considered making both but....
Well the short answer is it depends on the town, some work better for one type over the other. but either way, the idea was for the final product to include the interiors in their entirity in some way.

My very first idea i came up with was having the town its self being normal size, and when you go to walk into a building it teleport's you to the neither or another dimension, which contains that building interior.

however then i realized some dungeons actually fit within their outward appearance, like one of the towers you get one of the pieces of the trident. and still others like the Gabomba statue/dungeon, while smaller, has the exact correct proportions inside relative to the town. even going so far that the hidden entrance is in the same place in the town relative to the statue as it is to the dungeon inside. But for the Gabomba village, the statue is huge, but the town and insides of the buildings are small. so the town would end up getting a complete rework.

So what i ended up realizing is the best set up if someone were to do it would be building focused on the outward style of the buildings, with teleportation inside, UNLESS you want to get creative and make a more artistic recreation. however not every case is the same.

Also Like i said before, the Jupiter and Venus lighthouses are kinda amazing. they for the most part resemble a tower in their room design, getting smaller as you go up, with Jupiter going so far as having the outer walls of the lighthouse clearly defined from the inside.

but then the Mercury and Mars lighthouse have square rooms, and actually getting slightly bigger as you go up. with few actually vertical floors (though the mars lighthouse is a ton better about it then the mercury lighthouse.)

for example some builds like piers ship dungeon, actually resembles the shape of a ship, so building a ship out of it isn't impossible. then there dungeons like tundra tower that at first glance looks to be in the perfect shape of the tower... but has a dungeon floor that is impossible to build due to an over site.

I think i may actually write up a report with images before i finish work on this, just because staring at these maps for countless hours on end, i've noticed so many things that i've never seen brought up before. Like i have a theory that there was an extra room added to the Sol Sanctum later in development, after the dungeon was originally finished, which would explain the "odd level of detail" it has while still having one single room that is out of place, out of the way, and doesn't follow the entire rest of the dungeon's "odd level of detail".