News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

New Feature Preview Topic

Started by Atrius, 30, October, 2008, 02:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weckar

Something very interesting just sprung into my mind: Since we can use psynergy and even monster attacks as unleashes for weapons (and even things like reveal, though that doesn't do anything in battle), would it be possible to get certain unleashes as attacks on the psynergy list?    

Atrius (He/Him)

[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

weckar

That could lead to some interesting classes...

Rolina

That could lead to some very broken classes.  Only those without skill would think it cool, really.  As for those with skill?  They'd complain about the patch being broken...

I mean, look... they whine enough about healing as it is already.

Keep in mind, just because something is possible, doesn't mean you should do it.  Maybe sure, to test stuff out or for your own amusement, but if you do make it, make sure you think twice before sharing it.  Afterall, balancing is one of the most important parts of a game.

By the way, when I the next usable version of the Editor gonna be available for us to fiddle with?

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: Role on 08, November, 2008, 03:25:00 PMBy the way, when I the next usable version of the Editor gonna be available for us to fiddle with?
Sorry I took so long to respond, also sorry I'm taking so long on the next version.  Since my brother's girlfriend, and her 3 kids moved in things have been kinda hectic.

Um... Letsee, I've still got to finish the party member stat editors, and I'd like to get it working with some of the other language versions of TLA.  (Working actively on Spanish, and German right now.  Since the Chinese hack is based off the English version it's already pretty much working except for some rather large problems caused by the complexity of the Chinese alphabet.)  I haven't gotten around to putting the map viewer in yet either...
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Drick9

what about being able to change the names of enemies?

Atrius (He/Him)

Again, horribly late to respond.  I'd intended to sooner, but completely forgot.

Name changing is still a ways off, I'm putting off cracking things that are compressed until I have most of the other stuff done.

I hadn't had really any time at all to work on the editor the past month, but now that I have had some time here are some new screenshots.

I finally worked out the problem I needed to before I could make it so you could switch item, and ability icons.

I think I've mentioned that the portraits are actually assigned to sprites, and not in the message box script.  Now if a sprite has a portrait assigned to it, you can change it, but for now you can't add a portrait to a sprite that doesn't have one.

A few oddities concerning portraits:
- They're in 2 categories: Party Members, and NPCs.
- Party members can use NPC portraits, but NPCs can't use party member portraits.
- Pier's portrait is pushed back one slot compared to the rest of the party members, there's a slightly modified Alex portrait in the slot his should be!  

And of course I had to test these new features:

My father told me he ordered something for me for Christmas that would have allowed me to play my hacked versions of Golden Sun on my actual GBA or DS, but the store is being terribly slow, they haven't even shipped it yet!  I'll take some photo's of Kraden fighting, and other stuff I've done when I do finally get it though.

weckar

Think you'll manage a new release for Valentine's day? Really looking forward to it either way  

Atrius (He/Him)

I'm hoping to get it out some time between now and then.  I'm working on the Map viewer currently, then I have some stuff to fix in the party member stat editor, and that should do it.

I'd wanted to have it compatible with different languages of the game in the next release, but that might not happen.  I really don't want to make people wait too long for it though, so I'll probably just do a small release after wards to add the extra language support.

MaxiPower

A nice update.

just as you mention that about Alex face being were Piers should have been. When i first played GSTLA - (i played the lost age before orignial) i got mixed up between Alex and Piers. and seeing Alex at the start of the game i thought he was the same bloke in the jail in Madra.

Atrius (He/Him)

It still needs some work, but it's nice to have it mostly working in the editor now, so here's a screen shot.

For some reason, there is a Mercury Lighthouse map in The Lost Age...

Matrim

That's for the cutscene at the end. but cool!

MaxiPower

looks amazing, like jdmj90 said Mercury lighthouse appears in the closing parts of the lost age when the children are talking to Mia...

awesome so lets recap

Ability Editor
Class Editor
Weapon Editor
Sprite Viewer
Psynergy Editor
Character Avatar viewer + Editor
Map Viewer

Atrius (He/Him)

If you want a full list of the features for the next version as it's planned right now:

Item Editor
::+Swapping icons
+Ability Editor
+Party Member Stat Editor (no screen shot yet, Still WIP)
+Class Editor

Enemy Editor
+Map Viewer (Still WIP)
Sprite Viewer
::+Viewing/Swapping portraits
Text Viewer
+Code Patches
::+Change maximum party member name length
::+RNG Patch (Attempts to fix the predictability of the Battle RNG that people take advantage of)

Other features
+Search boxes on most lists
+Groundwork for eventual compatibility with other language versions of TLA, and ... uh... Shhh...

Charon

You say you'll have a text viewer, but will that ever evolve into a text editor? That would be really nice.

Atrius (He/Him)

Right now I'm doing editors for all of the data that isn't compressed, and just viewers for the stuff that is.  Eventually I will work on cracking the compression formats well enough that I can write algorithms to compress things back into them.

MaxiPower

Quote from: Charon on 01, February, 2009, 08:09:00 PMYou say you'll have a text viewer, but will that ever evolve into a text editor? That would be really nice.
Rome wasn't built in a day... nor could it be what it wast without the foundations it stood on.

Atrius is paving the simple (hard stuff) before moving into the hard (hard stuff).

Atrius (He/Him)

Charon is a skilled Rom hacker too, I'm sure she understands.

Charon

Yeah, I understand. I'm just curious if it's on your "to do" list...

Maybe if I could tweak Advancetext to accomidate GS:TLA's character map...

Atrius (He/Him)

GS: TLA's character map is pretty much the same as ASCII once you decompress the text.