News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

New Feature Preview Topic

Started by Atrius, 30, October, 2008, 02:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicktallica

Quote from: Atrius on 01, February, 2009, 02:46:00 PM...eventual compatibility with other language versions of TLA, and ... uh... Shhh...
This doesn't mean... Golden Sun Uno??

Atrius (He/Him)

What!??  No, of course not!  I meant Mario Golf, see for yourself.

A Golden Sun: The Lost Age Editor that edits the original Golden Sun?  Now that's just silly.  

>_>

No one's buying it, huh?  Well... That screen shot with Mario Golf open on the sprite viewer isn't fake either.    
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

MaxiPower

Quote from: Atrius on 03, February, 2009, 09:32:00 AMA Golden Sun: The Lost Age Editor that edits the original Golden Sun?  Now that's just silly.   

??? a golden sun the lost age editor that doesn't edit the original but it edits other non golden sun games?

Charon

Well, first off, Golden Sun is half the size of TLA... so that might bring up some issues...

And second, I went through the rom the other day. I don't know for sure, but it seems a lot less is compressed compared to TLA. So there might be compatability issues there.

MaxiPower

lol you made me sweat there for a moment... cough cough... find a way to export them original GS things lol end of coughing
Atrius your a darn Genius

Atrius (He/Him)

Is it seriously that not obvious that I was joking?

Tolbi, from the original Golden Sun

The Field from Mario Golf

Now if only I could locate the data in Mario Tennis I need to in order to make it compatible with that, then it'd work with every game Camelot made for GBA.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Charon

That must be interesting to see Felix running around on a Mario Golf map XD

Anyways, that sounds pretty awesome. Although it'd be a little weird seeing all those goofy maps in GS...

Nicktallica

One cool thing to maybe add to the Map Viewer would be a map editor..?

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: Atrius on 01, February, 2009, 10:28:00 PMRight now I'm doing editors for all of the data that isn't compressed, and just viewers for the stuff that is.  Eventually I will work on cracking the compression formats well enough that I can write algorithms to compress things back into them.

MaxiPower

Quote from: Nicktallica on 04, February, 2009, 06:27:00 PMOne cool thing to maybe add to the Map Viewer would be a map editor..?
copied and pasted from http://atrius.kousougames.co.uk/GoldenSunT..._NCFCbooth.html

The ultimate goal is to create a program fully capable of editing everything in Golden Sun: The Lost Age including:

Items, Enemies, Attacks, Dialogue, Maps, Graphics, E.T.C.

its safe to say Atrius will give all he can to his project

Nicktallica

Uhm.. yeah.. Didn't see that. :x
xD

Well, I feel stupid now..  

Charon

Well, we all have stupid moments, so don't feel so bad.

Like when I was trying to figue out how to change monster groups  

Atrius (He/Him)

On a related note, just out of curiosity is there any remaining confusion about the fact that the editor will eventually be compatible with the original Golden Sun?  That I was showing the map loaded from Golden Sun, and not importing it into TLA, and showing it from there?

Charon

Understood. Sounds pretty nice.

Interesting how you can make them both work, considering the size difference.

Man, almost all that data has to be compressed in order for that game to work. It's amazing there's any free space at all in the rom... There's like, what? 5 little pictures uncompressed? It's crazy...

BTW, I noticed that there's a little number by the upper right hand of the screen. What exactly is this number for?...

Atrius (He/Him)

The more calculations the editor is doing, the lower it gets, and as a result the less responsive the interface is.  The main reason it's dropping for me is because the slot for my video card died on my motherboard, so I have to use the really crappy one built into it instead of the really good one I have sitting in a box collecting dust beside my computer  

Charon

Oh, okay. So it's good if it says something like 30 or 28? Because that's usually what it says for me...

BTW, Atrius - is there any way I can easily extract the tilesets as 16 colour bitamps? I may want to use them in Jupiter, like I did for some of the maps:

But I don't want to go through the entire game to extract them (that came from Venus Lighthouse if you're curious - I've used a GS tree in the rom as well, but I really want to add more to it)
In the map viewer, a tileset extractor would be nice.

Charon

Cool. Sound's great. I'm already importing some of the tiles (via VBA)

Obviously not things like houses but little things like grass and trees.

Atrius (He/Him)

Yeah, around 30 is normal.

I suppose I could put in a way to extract things, no guarantees on if it'll be in the next release though.  If not it'll be in the one after it.

weckar

Atrius, are you still making this in GM? If so, I could help out with code optimisations (and you might want to crank up that room_speed to 60 or so)

Rolina

Wow, I've been gone a while.  Anywho, what I'd think would be neat is the return of old sprites that never made it into GS2 (Deadbeard, anyone?).  Since we won't necessarily have the size restrictions for the GBA, we could perhaps have a way to import things like sprites from one game into another.  Of course, debugging would be "fun" for that little bit of code, but I'm sure it'd be worth it in the long run.

GS1+2 combo pack, anyone?