News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

New Feature Preview Topic

Started by Atrius, 30, October, 2008, 02:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxiPower

Aile~♥

LOL Life Shear without scissors. You could make it like... KAMEHAMEHA or something similarly stupid. HADOUKEN!

It would be REALLY nice to just have the sprite, artifacts, and shop editors already. So can you stop trying add new things for a while and just finish and release those features first? Pleeeeeeeaze?
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Atrius (He/Him)

Whenever I get bored/frustrated working on one/more feature(s), I start working on a different one to mix things up while still being productive.  It's just part of my process.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Yeah, I think even I would do that... There is a disadvantage to that, though... If you leave part of your code for too long you forget a lot of things about it and have to look at it again... (Thus the reason we should comment our code as direct as can be.)

Also, what if you forget to finish one of the features you were adding? I would recommend putting it to one of them "points where it is okay to make public even if it is not complete," if you can do that.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Rolina

So any idea when we can get a public beta of the update or something to work with?  I mean, it has been half a year...

Atrius (He/Him)

I do have an idea, but it'd be against my nature to say.  Sad to say, it looks like the sprite editor won't make it into the next release though.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Well, you can always tell us when it WON'T be released... like If it won't be released in May or June.. In which case, it just means to us that you have plenty to do. Otherwise, if you are not sure, then we could expect the editor any time at all, whether soon, or much later.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

Please do not worry about it Atrius, you should release it when you feel that it is good enough for us to use. I am sure that everyone can exercise some patience and let you release a good version instead of a rushed one. Of course, you could be a trooper and release an early version to be used for the Community Hack carefully select some bug testers if you want some help, you have several trustworthy members here.

Oh yeah, the new animation feature looks wonderful, keep up the good work!
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

I had to rework a bit of the interface in the party member editor.

Awec

I. Am. A. Spoon.
Yes, a spoon that is awesome that is a Jupiter adept that is one of the Anemos that lives on the freaking moon.
What of it?

Griever

Wow, even better than before! (Even if the innate psynergy hadn't been there.)

Also, I have a question about this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/AtriusV/Games/Golden%20Sun%20Project/GSTLA_editor38.png

Specifically, the call toward the first function of an NPC.. there must be arguments given. As R0, and I notice that sometimes they move this value to R5 . and when it is to be used, this value can be moved into either R0 or R1, etc. (add r0, r5, #0x0, or add r1, r5, #0x0)

Well, would it work to replace the ? with the register number?

Like..

shop_display(3, R5)

So that way, you can make your own values (constants.) Or simply use the values in registers. Edit 1: (Usually not constant(?), why else would you grab them from a register?)

shop_display(R5, R5) as something random would be interesting. (Lol.)

Edit2: I'm sure you can also include formulas like shop_display(R5-1,R5+3).. etc. and loading values from an address if a register is an address could be shop_display(2,[R5]) That would be ldr, you could put an h or b beside it for halfword and byte.

Think of it like the way you code an editor.. Do you always have the arguments constant? I don't think so.. If you are skilled, anyway.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Atrius (He/Him)

I think you're missing the purpose of that feature.  The editor still doesn't have any assembly compiling functionality, you can't edit the arguments themselves at all right now.  As such it'd be pointless to fill them in if they weren't constant since the only thing you can edit is what they reference  (Basically since dialogue_display uses argument 6199 it knows to open up a text editing window with string index 6199 loaded, but you can't change which string index the function uses.)

Also the algorithm that detects the values is rather robust.  Even an argument were set to R5, or calculated from an equation like R5 + 6 * R4 the editor would be able to figure it out as long as it could back trace an absolute value for all of the variables involved in the equation.  Only once it reaches a point where it can't reasonably trace backwards any more does it give up, and fill in a question mark instead.

QuoteI think you're missing the purpose of that feature.  The editor still doesn't have any assembly compiling functionality, you can't edit the arguments themselves at all right now.  As such it'd be pointless to fill them in if they weren't constant since the only thing you can edit is what they reference  (Basically since dialogue_display uses argument 6199 it knows to open up a text editing window with string index 6199 loaded, but you can't change which string index the function uses.)

Also the algorithm that detects the values is rather robust.  Even an argument were set to R5, or calculated from an equation like R5 + 6 * R4 the editor would be able to figure it out as long as it could back trace an absolute value for all of the variables involved in the equation.  Only once it reaches a point where it can't reasonably trace backwards any more does it give up, and fill in a question mark instead.
If the values were used for informational purposes, wouldn't it be helpful to use the Register Number instead of a question mark? (And if the register is unknown, then use the ?.) Atleast then you could know it is non-constant right away, and not just totally unknown.

As for "right now" ... Do you think maybe they will be editable one day in the future? I'm sure it may be a couple years.. however, that's pretty much the direction my previous post was hinting. (If it should ever be done.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Atrius (He/Him)

I don't really see why anyone would care, it's pretty simple anyway Argument 0 = r0, Argument 1 = r1, Argument 2 = r2, and so on.  Trying to make the editor display anything beyond that for unknown values would be wasted effort.  If people know enough for it to be useful they'd probably want to see the code for themselves anyway, and the editor identifies & colors recognized function calls in the code listing as well so they're easy enough to find.

You're making me nostalgic for all the suggestions people gave for v0.1:  "If you can view it with the editor plans are to eventually make it editable."

Quoteit's pretty simple anyway Argument 0 = r0, Argument 1 = r1, Argument 2 = r2, and so on.
I knew that, I do not mean the argument registers.. but I mean the register the data was placed from.

add r1, r5, #0x0
shop_display(2,r5) and not shop_display(2,r1)

QuoteIf people know enough for it to be useful they'd probably want to see the code for themselves anyway, and the editor identifies & colors recognized function calls in the code listing as well so they're easy enough to find.

I like that, so the right away part, is much faster now..

Edit: I forgot to ask if clicking the Editable Function Calls brings you down to the bl code as it is seen in the code list?

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Atrius (He/Him)

Like I said, the argument detector tries to find absolute values even if it has to recursively check other registers.  Even if r1 were set to r5 it would find the value of r5 if it could.  Programming it not to go so deep, and just accept references instead would be counter-productive to the end goal here.

Clicking it opens up whatever editor interface is relevant to the data the function references.  dialogue_display opens a text editing box, shop_display opens the shop editing interface, e.t.c.

QuoteProgramming it not to go so deep
I meant only for the values that were found to be ?. It would still go as deep, but if it was unsuccessful, then it should find a reference... that was my point..

Oh yeah, you did say something about a text editing window, but you weren't exactly clear about the "clicking" part.. Atleast now I understand.

Edit: I think I see your main purpose for this now, it is specifically so the editor knows what to have in the interface that opens up... I wonder how non-constant values would work for that? (You simply just use 0 as a place-holder?)

It's after 3am, so I may be a bit slow.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Atrius (He/Him)

Non-constant values don't work for it at all which is exactly why trying to identify them beyond "I don't know what this value is" would be wasted effort.

Atrius (He/Him)

FINALLY squashed a bug in v0.4 that was causing ROM corruptions.  The release will be before the end of June assuming no more program breaking bugs show up.