News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

New Feature Preview Topic

Started by Atrius, 30, October, 2008, 02:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrius (He/Him)

[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Atrius (He/Him)

That does not make sense...

You can't open a ROM from the editor, so you have to open a ROM with the editor to get it to work?  What part of these two things is different?

Also, this is not the error reporting thread.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

I thought it was sad to see this page fall back to Page 3, so I decided that maybe I could update it with a little something.

Meanwhile, while I was looking through the Map Editor code, and thinking about how to display the Event Initialization data, I decided that I should display more of the tilemap data. Ones that are associated with events, doors, and other interesting things you can interact with. Etc.

Basically, the data works like this.

00 = No boxes / Walkable space
FF = A box without a number.

All others are boxes with a hexadecimal number.

P.S. = I probably should note that I left the height map alone.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: Teawater on 07, February, 2013, 08:14:18 PM
P.S. = I probably should note that I left the height map alone.

Hence why the [2] on the elevated platform in the last screenshot looks like it's two cells lower than it should be.

It looks nice, does new layer 1 button at the top right of the map view toggle it's visibility?

Yeah, I know. If I had it so all the tiles go to the top of the height map, it wouldn't look right. See the [28] in the 2nd image? Yeah, that one would be raised as well. (I know because I un-commented a piece of code you had based off the height map calculation of the tile that's being mouse-overed.)

Not to mention that it would be difficult to edit tiles in places that you cannot see to begin with.

---

Yes, it does. I only did it with the surfaces feature though. (Aka: User Defined 3) (Is the alternate method (See User Defined 2) for displaying maps for crappy computers?)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Rolina

Well, maybe there could be a heightmap toggle?  That way, you could click the toggle and it'd line up with the height map, so it's easier to read.  When you need to work on it again, click the toggle and it's a flat display...

Perhaps, however, right now I have it so that when you mouse-over a tile, the tile at the top of the heightmap would be highlighted. None of the screenshots in the above picture show this, though. - I just had to modify Atrius's commented code just a little bit to get this going.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: Teawater on 07, February, 2013, 08:47:05 PM
Yes, it does. I only did it with the surfaces feature though. (Aka: User Defined 3) (Is the alternate method (See User Defined 2) for displaying maps for crappy computers?)

Yes, some older graphics cards don't like surfaces so I had to write alternate drawing code for everything that used them.  Unfortunate because surfaces speed up drawing of some things quite a bit, and computers that don't support them are already probably slower.  I made it draw "Graphics card error" in red on the map editor if it was unable to use surfaces.

QuoteI just had to modify Atrius's commented code just a little bit to get this going.

Speaking of commented code there's a beast of an algorithm in User Defined 1.  I think it's from when I was experimenting with importing GS1 map data into TLA, or something to do with map editing...  It's been a long time.

Kioll

Get the map editor working and we might could just MAKE the original GS map in TLA.
I am the almighty emissary of fire...  the Mars Adept Kioll.  Oh, and did I mention that I'll see you long before you see me?

Yeah, that would be a good idea, except, even in just one file (Ex: Map code file)  there can be a lot of stuff to edit when just replacing the file could be a simple procedure. I might want to warn you that GS1 has a higher unique tile limit than GS2, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, I have thought about this a little more... and what I'd like to try to do with the editor eventually is this.

-Maybe make the width of maps based on the data, and not their in-game size. - If I remember from my research a long time ago, I think there were some tile events outside of the map's boundaries? (I believe Mercury Lighthouse grabbed these via a Tile Mod.)
-Create a temp file for all the 8x8 tiles. (Which will be made from using the 2 in-game files.)
-I might include a unique tiles counter, so when replacing a tile, first check all tiles along with the old tile to determine if the counter should be decremented. And then do the same with the new tile to see if it should be incremented.
-Perhaps when you change to a new map or save, generate the two game files from using this temp file. And then load the new map.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Mion Sonozaki

I'm a little confused by discussion in this thread. Is the editor dead? And what are its current capabilities? I've been away for a few months (years?) so I'm wondering what has changed. Any map editing capabilities? Scripting? Objecting-editing? Capabilities to create new puzzles and content? and so on? Do we still need Role's class fix patch?

Kain

Editor's done.  Atrius will no longer be updating it.  I do not know it's capabilities because I don't use it but I'm sure there's a list of what it can do somewhere.
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

Quote from: Lishy on 15, February, 2013, 08:53:48 PM
I'm a little confused by discussion in this thread. Is the editor dead? And what are its current capabilities? I've been away for a few months (years?) so I'm wondering what has changed. Any map editing capabilities? Scripting? Objecting-editing? Capabilities to create new puzzles and content? and so on? Do we still need Role's class fix patch?
Kain is correct that Atrius stopped working on the editor. http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=2116.msg37980#msg37980

However, I wouldn 't say the editor is done, since there are plenty of things that the editor obviously doesn't support. (Like assigning music and battles to rooms... etc.) I'm planning on eventually making more updates to it, but I decided to wait for me to make a major release before announcing that I will be the next person in charge. Makes more sense doing it this way since I tend to procrastinate with big projects like this a lot.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Mion Sonozaki

A 'major release', Teawater? Is  that a hint, or do you want to see other projects too? ;)

Clearly, it means that if I'm unable to get a major release out, then there is no point on getting peoples hopes up...

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Mion Sonozaki

Alright, thanks Teawater. I'll continue to work with what I got. But just to confirm: adding new, custom boss fights are currently impossible? What about auto-linking the game? (Or is there any way to improvise the link-game events like the gladiator boss while still allowing the player to collect all djinn?)

Exactly what do you mean by boss fights, anyway?

If you mean things like assigning music, or multiple enemy slots to each turn of an enemy (Which is assembly coded, if I recall correctly.), then I guess it is not possible yet.

Also, I believe the data relating to the six events are held in storybook flags, so you could just simply use the debug menu tool in GS2 to enable them. Not that I actually tested it or anything. I will probably have to look up the Gladiator boss to remember exactly what you may be talking about, though.

Edit: Other than that, I think the answer to your question is no.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Mion Sonozaki

Quote from: Teawater on 16, February, 2013, 01:29:01 PM
Exactly what do you mean by boss fights, anyway?

If you mean things like assigning music, or multiple enemy slots to each turn of an enemy (Which is assembly coded, if I recall correctly.), then I guess it is not possible yet.

Also, I believe the data relating to the six events are held in storybook flags, so you could just simply use the debug menu tool in GS2 to enable them. Not that I actually tested it or anything. I will probably have to look up the Gladiator boss to remember exactly what you may be talking about, though.

Edit: Other than that, I think the answer to your question is no.

Example boss fight: Star Magician. Interacting with it will trigger a fight with unique music. It could be something as simple as an NPC blocking your way in Airs Rock as long as it triggers a boss fight. Another example: Chest Beaters (the 1st boss.) Still not possible?

Also, for the events, is there a way to enable it without debug menu? I'm not fond of bandaid fixes. A player should be able to pick up a hack and enjoy it without cutting corners in my opinion. (By gladiator, I mean the GS1 Colosso guys ambushing you at Shaman Village.)

I'm also curious what could be done with flags, to say for example, force the player to do Inner Anemos Sanctum before receiving the ship wings, and disabling the door which requires all djinn without needing Djinn?

@1: Oh, so you mean NPC/Event editing?

I think all that can be done by editing the map code. Which is editable with Atrius's editor (See Map Editor's Disassembler and Hex Editor.), but unfortunately, you'd have to understand some assembly.

@2: This should be doable by using assembly code to write to the flags.

@3: I assume that is also in the Map Code as well, but I would have to look into it to make sure, though.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Mion Sonozaki

Thanks for clearing that up, Teawater.

I have.. Some experience with ASM. But never with Golden Sun before. I'm sure I can get stuff done by copy pasting code and tweaking values though...

You wouldn't happen to have a guide for using the editor to do this, would you? Q_Q