News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Hello there

Started by Johnstir, 04, November, 2015, 10:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnstir

I'm kinda new to the editing scene, and to be honest, I don't even know what version of the tla editor I'm using, as I'm still trying to get the ropes of it, BUT anyhow, hey everyone!

Salanewt

Hey there, welcome to our little hacking community! Let us know if you need any help with anything.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Hello, and welcome to the Golden Sun Hacking, Editing, and Socializing Community... We are glad to have you here... And... uhh... What Salanewt said. Oh, and um... did I forget to say welcome?!

:Kraden: I know you are trying to lecture him,... But it's not working.... Because it's MY job!!! Mwahahahaha!
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Johnstir

Thanks. Also,*To Kraden* I know lecturing is your forte, Old man!

Rolina

Welcome to Golden Sun's one and only modding community~

Knight of Purgatory

Welcome welcome! Hope you enjoy your time here!
MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES

rooky711

Hi guys,

I am very new to this community but I have come across it multiple times. Every time i have an urge to play the Golden Sun games, I look for a new way to experience those unforgettable adventures. It has been a great place for taking a glimpse at the GS Editor, taking a look at hex editing, and looking for rebalanced versions of the game. I think it is now time I joined and tried communicating and learning from what people share in this site. And hopefully, be able to share anything I learn with other on this site in the future. Nice to meet you!

Rolina

A hero walks into the room. There's a breeze coming from the opened window, as the hero goes to close it, he sees a sheet of paper on the table. He glances at it, and sees what was written on it... It says:
QuoteHello, and welcome to the Golden Sun Hacking, Editing, and Socializing Community... We are glad to have you here...
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

Hey there, welcome! Hope you enjoy yourself here; feel free to ask around if you need a hand with anything.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

rooky711

Thank you Lord Squirtle. I am looking for a good hex editting guide, so I can start tweaking the Golden Sun games. Nothing I have found has been too great. What I am looking to do in the future (which I know will take me a very long time) is to recreate Felix's adventure in the first Golden Sun game. I think it would be an awesome way to replay the first game. But in order to even come close to achieving this, I need to learn how to modify the game code. Any good place to learn this? If I succeed, I can maybe try doing the same thing for Isaac's story for GS:TLA. I know it is a very ambitious and time consuming goal. But I will try my best to make progress and give updates. Any resources will be greatly appreciated!

It'd take a pretty long post to guide you into right direction, I think... But I can at least point out a few things....

In my signature, there are links to what we have been documenting in GS1 and GS2... Both of which are incomplete, but GS2 has been studied/documented much more than GS1.
But that doesn't help much if you don't understand some of the basics....
VisualBoyAdvance comes with a Memory viewer, and a Disassembler... You can find these under VBA's Tools.
The disassembler is used to view code.... but you need to know the address of the code you want to read. (Since not everything is code.)
One of the most useful resources I like for GBA/DS info is GBATEK (http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm) - i.e. http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#thumbinstructionset has information on how code works.
Basically r0-r15 are like register variables.... So if you have something like "mov r0, 0x10"... It's like r0 = 0x10. (Setting var r0 to 0x10.) Usually the result goes in the first register listed, and the following registers/numbers listed are ones used in an operation.)
VBA-SDL-H is also useful as a breakpoint debugger.... (I recommend using it (alongside GBATEK) if you are just learning... because that way you can see what each register holds... and how instructions affect them.)
You must also understand that data can be compressed... and for this reason,... a decompression/compression algorithm is good to have. (I think there were like 6~7 different compression algorithms for Golden Sun (Basically any GBA game made by Camelot.)... that's quite an unusual number compared to most other non-Camelot games I've looked at... - Basically bringing this up in case you thought you could get away with a single hex editor. (But anyway, some of those compression algorithms you most likely won't need... for example, item/ability/status icons have their own compression... battle backgrounds have their own as well....)
Text has their own compression as well... but resources are already available to deal with that. (gstoolkit will store the text back in the ROM as uncompressed, or you can use one of other tool(s)... like Atrius's Editor... if you want to keep the compression.)

@Memory Viewer: Basically everything at 0x08000000-0x09FFFFFF will match what you see when you open the ROM in a hex editor. (Max 32mb, but GS1 is 8mb, and GS2 is 16mb.)
RAM is at 0x02000000-0x0203FFFF (WRAM), and 0x03000000-0x03007FFF (IRAM)
As you can see, IRAM is very small... (Internal/fast RAM)
Sometimes I feel that there are things that are common among many games...
The stack is commonly near the end of IRAM. (Around 0x03007800-0x03007F00 in most cases.)
And I think keypad presses (0x04000130 (from I/O)), are usually also transferred and stored in IRAM... from games I've seen. (Not sure if there are any games storing keypad presses in WRAM?)
I think some music-related arm functions/decompression arm functions/etc... are usually transferred to IRAM as well...

WRAM may tend to have decompressed data... like map data, etc. (For what isn't directly decompressed to places like VRAM.)

----
I really need to document my ideas before I forget them.... Including a Harry Potter version of Golden Sun... (That I have not thought much about at all.) - And of course it doesn't have to have the school of Hogwarts in it, either....

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

rooky711

Thank you soo much Fox. All of those resources look quite promising. Just my luck though, my computer broke down, but just in time to maybe get a new one for Black Friday. And then I will start playing around with the game code. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I dont want to keep spamming on this thread if this isnt the right place to discuss this stuff. If there is a better place in the site to do so, please let me know! Thank you!

You are welcome. Let us know if there are any specific questions you have.... (Since concrete questions are usually easier to answer than abstract ones, but abstract ones are okay too!)

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

It's okay. Introductions is mostly a spam forum anyway. (My opinion.) Anything posted in it will likely get lost, so you are free to choose a topic (or make your own)... in places like the Golden Sun Hacking forum.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

rooky711

I've been doing some reading on GBA games codes but sadly no tweaking yet as I havnt managed to replace my computer. But after playing a balanced (age) version for GS1 on my phone, I noticed a single command felt useless... defending. Everyone who has ever played Golden Sun, understands why. I've been thinking of a way to increase the usefulness of defending, by making the "defender" heal a little HP and PP (maybe 7%) and make the defender immune to status ailments for that turn. I would want all this in addition to cutting damage by 50%. I have yet to try and code this behavior in the game, but I know it would be a great addition to the game. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

@healing HP/PP: Hmm....  I could see healing PP as it gets healed on the field as you move around anyway... As for healing HP, I am not sure.. the worst it could get is making healing psynergy/items useless..., but there's still a possibility... (Even if it ends up being just 1 HP.)
@Status ailments: Complete immunity, or would just simply increasing immunity without having complete immunity be a good idea in some situations? (One idea is that It could vary from 50% to 100% immunity depending on some variables.)

But anyway, let's invert that, since they are based on success rates instead of immunity rates:

QuoteAilment Success

(((((((Attacker's elemental level - Defender's elemental level) - Floor(Defender's luck / 2)) * 3) + effect's base chance + (vulnerabity's 25)) * multi_arg) / 100)  >= rnd())

Where "rnd()" is a random number from 0-99 (x00 to x63), and "multi_arg" (previously known as "unk_arg") is for diminishing success rates based on the amount of targets the effect can be used on:
First (Primary Target) = 100%
Second (Next to the target) = 60%
Third = 30%
Fourth = 30%
Fifth = 30%
Sixth = 30%

Notes:
x52 = "82 - May force target out of battle" is always 0% when class is not NPC. (0% for player characters?)

These generate three random numbers... This would make, for example, a chance of 50% (one) to be 87.5% (three), I think.
x43 = "67 - Inflicts Seal"
x50 = "80 - Inflicts Death Curse"
x55 = "85 - May inflict Stun"[/spoiler]

Base success rates (assigned in the function at 080B0514):

080B0660 - 70% (12/13 - Def debuffs)
080B0664 - 75% (16/17 - eRes debuffs)
080B0668 - 30% (22 - Charm)
080B066C - 35% (24 - Sleep)
080B0670 - 55% (18/19 - Poison/Venom, 25 - Seal)
080B0674 - 25% (26 - Haunt)
080B0678 - 20% (27 - Instant Death)
080B067C - 65% (20 - Delusion, HP Drain)
080B0680 - 35% (21 - Confuse, 34 - HP to 1)
080B0684 - Flat 60% (56 - Revive to 50%)
080B0688 - Flat 90% (57 - Revive to 80%)
080B068C - Flat 70% (73 - Revive to 60%)
080B0690 - 60% (8/9 - Attack debuffs, 28 - Curse, 32 - PP Drain, 80 - Curse)
080B0694 - 50% (35 - May ignore 50% of Def)
080B0698 - 40% (23 - Stun, 85 - Stun)
080B069C - Flat 100% (Def buffs, eRes buffs, Regen, Reflect, Break... seems to be the default for anything that either shouldn't fail or has its success rate calculated differently)
So by my "+50%"..... there are possibly a number of things we could do...
-We could cut base rates in half (Or subtract 50%)
-Cut final success chance value in half (Or subtract 50%)
-Increase luck's effectiveness by something like x2+. (I haven't checked to see if that works or sounds good or not. And don't think it equates to the +50% immunity, however it does get rid of the ineffective odd number... but not to worry, odd numbers may still be useful in ailment recovery... making odd numbers have effect for success rates does make me want to choose this one, but not sure whether any other stuff should also be modified. Like doubling/halving the rest of the parts of the equation.)
-Etc. (Use your imagination.)

(Well, depending on what you're going for, cutting half could be worse case scenario in an equation you might have for calculation Defend immunity..)

QuoteFloor(Defender's luck / 2)
This is actually just luck>>1, but we wrote it like that for ease of newbies understanding...

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden