News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Is there anything you generally dislike about any GS game?

Started by Salanewt, 06, November, 2015, 10:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caledor

Quote from: Fox on 18, November, 2015, 09:31:55 AM
Correct!

ePower boosts physical attacks as well... But I think it is by half as much...if I remember correctly...(i.e. Added Damage/Multiplier types...etc.) If your Relative Attack is around 0, then ePow-only spells could maybe be around ~x2 stronger, in that case?
Yes, epower affects physical blows half than it does to base damage/summons. But that's another story. The main complain to the epower system for spells is that, unlike for phys. attacks, it doesn't have the magic equivalent of attack and defense. A power/resist system for elemental proficiency is great, but it can't stand on its own. it desperately needs to act as a mere multiplier to more generic stats (that increase with level), or extremes like wooden stick stronger than grand gaia inevitably pop up.

Salanewt

While they certainly aren't very good to start with, in theory they could be much better if every stat was actually balanced to avoid the huge attack/agility slant that encourages physical attacks. Mainly because the idea seems to be that while everyone can be a spellsword, characters will generally lean one way much more than the other in stats and equipment options; that's why even classes that are geared towards fighters can still have some good healing spells and ailments in them, for example. The way enemies are balanced doesn't help either.

Actually, now that I think about it, I had a relatively simple solution for this that works pretty well. I halved the starting ePow/eRes stats (so ePow in your base element starts at 50 rather than 100; others went to 25 from 75) and doubled the power of base power and other non-physical and non-healing psynergy (leaf's suggestion, but I like it for the most part). This essentially halves the effectiveness of ePower on other ability types while keeping those ones the same, but it also makes their maximum potential higher; even more so with caps raised from 200 to 250. I did this in Disco Sun, but I think I still have to balance enemies to fit these new changes... Oh well, maybe I can do that when the term ends.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Caledor

it's still nowhere near enough. i can tell because before the pp multiplier i tried a similar but opposite approach: raising base power spell by an amount dependant on base power itself. something like bp=bp*1+bp/1000. while your approach is obviously better than mine cause it has a lot more room for making adjustment, mages will still suffer from power spikes: strong as soon as they learned their latest spell, then weaker and weaker. this is even more noticeable with dual and 3 element classes, where the level gap between new spells widens.
The game really needs a magic stat that grows with level, there's no way around it.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Hmm... Thinking of a game where physical attacks should rarely be priority... (For Attack's weaker power, it could maybe have a fast animation compared to spells?)
-What if you gained a spell for every level, and your latest spell was at level 99? .... Both physical and magic stop growing at that point.
-How about better management of PP cost? (So that once you get a useful spell, the max amount of PP could maybe allow you to use it only once...(i.e. If you max PP is 100, you can make PP cost as low as 51... for this random theory.) By the time you get your next spell, maybe 2+ times... etc. When you first get the spell, it's obvious the lower spell would still be more useful if it already takes a couple turns to defeat the enemy. (Imagine one ability costing 10 PP that does 10 damage, and the next ability costing 20 PP and doing 15 damage... as a random example.)
-Not sure if including a formula to make your physical level have an affect on magic-only spells...  Or more generally, a way to artificially calculate magic stat without storing it in RAM. And if it is stored in RAM, where would it be/how would you do it? (I mean, sure there's enough space if you store it in certain locations, but anyway.)

The worst part is that when you start complicating things, you can get to a flawful/unbalanced game pretty easily... unfortunately.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

Caledor: Haha, well, maybe. I think we may be comparing apples and oranges though, since I'm also changing how most stats are balanced and/or distributed in order to make sure my method works out. Also items and djinn/summons (the former is WIP, the latter is most done already). Testing so far seems to have everything work out well enough, but I'll probably need to release a patch so you (and/or others) can see for yourself. May work on some of the finishing touches tonight actually...

You definitely raise a good point about dual and tri-elemental classes though. Especially because the maximum damage multiplier you can get in the highest tier of a dual class would be about half that of a mono class... which explains why you can pretty much beat the game without utilizing the class system at all. My plan is to have a lot of gear to get around that, but it'll need some work. Maybe a lower personal djinn cap as well, but I don't know. That does remind me of something though:

Something else I dislike: GS1 was really bad for this, but the djinni count/distribution in all three games is pretty bad. In GS1 for example, you can use every summon right after Lamakan Desert if you can find every djinni up until then. Lamakan as in shortly before the midpoint of the game. After which you can get all but three of the remaining ones between the ship and the end of the game (two micro dungeons and one optional). That means, if you cut out Colosso and the Karagol trip, the rest of the game can give you up to nine djinn with only five dungeons remaining (Suhalla Gate is more like a mini-dungeon for how short it is and Babi/Venus Lighthouses are joined together). Two of those dungeons are also entirely optional and only yield one djinni each, and on top of that at least a handful of the remaining djinn just hang out in towns. In broad daylight.

So... GS1, once you get Vine following Lamakan, gives you a whopping 12 djinn over three optional dungeons, three mandatory full dungeons, three mini/micro dungeons, and two battle gauntlets (Colosso and Karagol). And 4-5 towns. For reference, the remaining 16 came from about 9 towns and 9 full dungeons (discounting multiple dungeons within the same world map location). If you discount the gauntlets, then you would pretty much be able to speed through the rest of the game and almost double your djinn count in less time than it took you to get the first 16.

GS2 wasn't that great with it either, but at least it was better in that it maintained a relatively consistent supply of them until you hit Lemuria (about 6 of each upon entering for the first time). After which the game swamps you with opportunities to collect more again, but at least it can be somewhat harder to find a number of them if you don't explore and/or revisit old areas. It's worse in GS1 because that game is more linear, meaning that you are more likely to find almost all of them even if you don't revisit old areas. I think there are all of 2-3 djinn that require you to revisit towns with new psynergy, and 3 that are hidden on the world map. 

I hope that little "rant" made sense...

Fox: Um, like an entirely different game? I have to admit your post is confusing me a tiny bit! As for artificially calculating a general magic power stat, maybe something more like a magic proficiency value based on the sum of every ePow/eRes that acts as an additional multiplier of some sort?

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Caledor

QuoteCaledor: Haha, well, maybe. I think we may be comparing apples and oranges though, since I'm also changing how most stats are balanced and/or distributed in order to make sure my method works out. Also items and djinn/summons (the former is WIP, the latter is most done already). Testing so far seems to have everything work out well enough, but I'll probably need to release a patch so you (and/or others) can see for yourself. May work on some of the finishing touches tonight actually...
Good to know then, and i'm really interested in how it will turn out.

QuoteFox: Um, like an entirely different game? I have to admit your post is confusing me a tiny bit! As for artificially calculating a general magic power stat, maybe something more like a magic proficiency value based on the sum of every ePow/eRes that acts as an additional multiplier of some sort?
Remember that the main point of having  magic power/resist stats non related to power is for them to be changed by classes. Sure, it can be calculated artificially (after all... everything is "calculated artificially" if you think about it), but for the best result you'd need the 8 chars magic stat growth tables, and another table with 243 entries (one per class slot) that multiplies said stat depending on class. and you'd still not have a single piece of equipment that affects it.

@Entirely different game - Sort of, yeah... but still using GS's engine. (Which doesn't mean that it is necessarily a GS game... Of course, unique remakes count as well... I don't expect those to be limited by only GS-standards, depending on the type of remake it is. - i.e. turn Golden Sun into a Mario game with the same plot as Golden Sun... battles could still be different, etc. - Might be fun to think about? Jenna could be Peach because she's kidnapped in the beginning... and because of Isaac vs. Jenna marriage might fit with Mario vs. Peach? - And Sheba? Maybe Rosalina or something.... (Because I'm thinking of Anemos as a planet, and it references Super Mario Galaxy.) (Whether these people would be the same element, I haven't decided, but I'm sure their personalities would/should be different.).

"calculated artificially"... was bad wording...I think? (Implying to "fake" the magic stat by not having it as a RAM value, but with a similar effect.) Pretty much, I meant calculating it every time you need it rather than calculating it and storing in RAM for later use. - You could still do that with a level-up table.... and equipment checks... But if you have anything like Apples, Hard Nuts, etc... that you use.... then you'll probably want some RAM values... -- Although I know I wasn't direct, I believe that part of the post was more referring to helping with Caledor's hack... but I will have to check if Caledor wanted such a thing for whatever hack it was....
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Rolina

The thing is, if you have proper stats for psynergy, it opens up a hell of a lot of things.  Added Damage no longer applies only to physical attacks - you could have spell versions of those.  Imagine if the Fume series acted like a caster-version of Raganarok - growing powerful in level and tier as you get stronger yourself.  Now, don't get me wrong - there's definitely a point to base damage spells.  While I think there should be some influence from Casting and Warding, I don't think it should be too much.  Enough to make it so natural spellcasters will have an edge, but not so much that natural warriors shouldn't bother.  This would also help with the max cap problem - spells used to hit their cap super easy at 200, and there's no way to boost it further.  Physical attacks not only got some power from that, though - they had a cap of 999 in TBS/TLA, and 1999 in DD.  Parity here would help spells not only keep up, but give us tons of fun and interesting options as to what we can do with them.

And I'm not saying that spells should just be another attack command, either.  There should be pros and cons to both.  Physical attacks have a 0 cost alternative, and can not only crit, but have a chance of unleash as well.  The downside of physical blows is that they should be more focused - lower magnitudes and smaller areas.  Spells strike wider areas with greater magnitude.  The downsides for them is that there is no 0 cost spell, and they don't quite reach the point damage that an equivalent physical blow could reach.  So there's easily ways to balance this that would not only give spells a freaking use in battle, but that would also give you reason to use one over the other.

Caledor

Quote from: Fox on 20, November, 2015, 11:30:05 PM
"calculated artificially"... was bad wording...I think? (Implying to "fake" the magic stat by not having it as a RAM value, but with a similar effect.) Pretty much, I meant calculating it every time you need it rather than calculating it and storing in RAM for later use. - You could still do that with a level-up table.... and equipment checks... But if you have anything like Apples, Hard Nuts, etc... that you use.... then you'll probably want some RAM values... -- Although I know I wasn't direct, I believe that part of the post was more referring to helping with Caledor's hack... but I will have to check if Caledor wanted such a thing for whatever hack it was....
for the most part, i'm VERY satisfied with the pp multiplier patch. despite being a mere workaround if compared to the more proper magic system we're discussing, it exceeded all my expectations due to being amazingly simple and for having some positive side effects i didn't take into account at first (making offensive caster favor pp increase and healers pp regen to name one). So i don't think i'd change it now, but it's definitively worth to keep discussing this matter further for something like open golden sun.

QuoteNow, don't get me wrong - there's definitely a point to base damage spells.
I don't even think this is even possible... base damage would be to spells (with proper stat support) like base attack is to weapons after all. :D

ps: we should think about a "healing" stat as well IMO

Okay, fair enough.

Quoteps: we should think about a "healing" stat as well IMO
No idea? What if healing psynergy is removed in an effort to make healing items more useful? - Or maybe go even further... (If thinking about a difficulty hack).... basically no healing psynergy nor healing items... so that Inns can now be useful for the first time ever. (@first time ever:  Then again, with Salanewt's time hack, I think Inns would allow for bypassing time?)
Do that, and get rid of Cure Poison/Restore.... and Antidotes suddenly become valuable as well?... so raise their price! Heh. - That, and some other... heheh.... sneaky tidbits... like all items should be unstackable... and.... You know, that might actually be fun... hm...
Following that strategy, I could still see maybe being able to buy healing items like at the last town (as unstackable), maybe... depending on one's taste... (Might add some flavor to back-tracking... but I doubt it's necessary.... would be more useful for the final boss. Including training for it.)

base attack being  "Added Damage" I guess? - So yeah, if we had all three... then we'd need different naming conventions than Atrius's Editor. (I bet Camelot actually had other names for them in their source code, anyway.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Rolina

Oh, I think Base damage should definitely have influence from a Casting and Warding stat, but not a full influence - I currently like a 1/6 influence from the stats.  Enough to grow and to let mages stand out, but also enough to give warriors purpose behind using them.

@Healing stat:  No?  Healing's actually OP in GS. The way it's handled right now is pretty good, I think.  Who does and doesn't get healing is a matter of dev philosophy at this point, so all you really have to do is better balance the cost to power ratio.

Caledor

Healing is op in base GS due to its high base power coupled with being EXTREMELY undercosted. after some much needed balancing, the healing stat would simply be used to make some classes better than others at it or even to make it scale with class "rank" itself.

Aile~♥

Quote from: Rolina on 24, November, 2015, 08:26:12 AM@Healing stat:  No?  Healing's actually OP in GS. The way it's handled right now is pretty good, I think.  Who does and doesn't get healing is a matter of dev philosophy at this point, so all you really have to do is better balance the cost to power ratio.

On that note:
— Flat value healing. The Tales series sans Zestiria does healing the best out of any RPG I've played, and it's the only series I've run into that does all healing that way. While in Golden Sun strictly percent-based healing has the problem of ignoring the Elemental Power stat, that could easily be factored in anyway. Calculate the amount healed based on percent of target's max HP, then multiply by (Elemental Power/100) as normal. (Though you get effectively the same result by multiplying the percentage by (epower/100) and then taking that percent of the target's max HP. For example, with the usual base 104 EPower in primary element, 30% x (104/100) = 31.2%.) Though perhaps something like ((EPower + 100)/200) might work better for the sake of balance.
(That would be a really cool patch to have, by the way. Replace the current "restore X% of HP" effects with one that actually uses the ability's power value to determine the amount healed, as (base power/10)%, and factors in elemental power with heal% * ((epower + 100)/200). This would be even cooler if it diminished over area as the healing/base damage formulae normally do.)

In fact, the flat-value healing is an even bigger issue in GS's engine due to the lack of dedicated Psy Attack/Psy Defence stats, since that means that tanking base damage vs. tanking physical is based on max HP relative to Defence.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

If nothing else, you can do what Disgaea does and tie it to the spell defense stat - Warding by my terminology.  Without thorough testing though, I don't really see the point of applying this to healing.  For all I know it could be necessary, but for now I'll stick with my adjustments.

Aile~♥

— GS1's intro scene, where the Boulder falls and strikes Vale. The whole scenario is badly executed, and that has a lot to do with the large Psynergy Stone at the centre of the plaza.

• First change: Vale does not have a large, permanent Psynergy Stone in the plaza.
• Second change: Even if an individual possesses the potential to develop Psynergy use, if that potential is entirely untapped (such as in the case of a very young Adept) then that individual will not absorb the smaller Psynergy Stones on contact.
• Third change: The people of Vale (or Adepts in general) have developed tools to allow Adepts to transport small Psynergy Stones without absorbing them. This would probably take the form of specialized containers and a lift system of some sort to pick them up with, quite possibly just a seesaw-like lever device that can be easily transported, accompanied by a large board used to push Psynergy Stones onto the lever so they can be deposited into the containers.
• Fourth change: Very minor eruptions of Mount Aleph are common. There's not really much ceremony to them: there's a tiny amount of lava flow and the volcano spits Psynergy Stones all around the immediate area.
• Fifth change: The plaza contains a storehouse where Psynergy Stones the volcano spits out are stored, along with the equipment used to collect them.

Suddenly, a lot of things are able to make sense. Dora sends an unnamed NPC to go to the plaza and bring back Psynergy Stones for the rest of them so they can save Felix. She sends Isaac in the same general direction, telling him to leave the village and get to safety. As in the original scenario, Isaac encounters Garet along the way. Upon arriving in the plaza, Isaac and Garet overhear a conversation between the unnamed NPC and the mayor in which it is revealed that one of the many smaller boulders crashed into the Psynergy Stone storehouse and wrecked the transportation equipment. The unnamed NPC then notices Isaac and Garet and requests that they carry some Psynergy Stones back to Felix's family, since the pair haven't tapped into their Psynergy potential yet and thus can carry Psynergy Stones without absorbing them. The NPC then heads into the storehouse to replenish his own Psynergy with one of the stones, then immediately runs off to the north again. Isaac and Garet each grab a Psynergy Stone, and the player is left to take them back to Dora and co.. Scenario proceeds basically as normal from there. (Though a full-village camera pan after the boulder falls to show the full scope of the devastation might be in order.)

Salanewt

Honestly, I would prefer a text intro to deal with all the past stuff, but I can definitely agree with your fan prologue being better than what was actually in the game. And also the way you resolved some of the other issues with the plot as well.

QuoteDora sends an unnamed NPC to go to the plaza and bring back Psynergy Stones for the rest of them so they can save Felix.

Although in this instance, Dora sending Jenna out would probably be better than some random NPC. She could even be attacked and/or halted by some monster, which would explain why she never returned in that scenario.

Also, everything that happens with Tret and the purple-haired chick may be a tad harder to explain unless you trim those parts of the story a bit. It would probably make the plot better as a whole if everything could be trimmed down a bit, but still.

Um... I don't know about young kids not being able to absorb them... Perhaps it'd be better to say that the ability to absorb is slow enough to bring them...
They might not have any learned abilities or any class, but they do have a small amount of PP, right?

Edit: Oh, and then there's Eoleo.... forget how old he was.  (I assume he used psynergy at one point? But I forget.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Aile~♥

Quote from: Lord Squirtle on 25, November, 2015, 04:56:20 PM
Honestly, I would prefer a text intro to deal with all the past stuff, but I can definitely agree with your fan prologue being better than what was actually in the game. And also the way you resolved some of the other issues with the plot as well.

QuoteDora sends an unnamed NPC to go to the plaza and bring back Psynergy Stones for the rest of them so they can save Felix.

Although in this instance, Dora sending Jenna out would probably be better than some random NPC. She could even be attacked and/or halted by some monster, which would explain why she never returned in that scenario.

Also, everything that happens with Tret and the purple-haired chick may be a tad harder to explain unless you trim those parts of the story a bit. It would probably make the plot better as a whole if everything could be trimmed down a bit, but still.

Dora sending an unnamed NPC (the same one who, in the original prologue, is already at the plaza Psynergy Stone when Isaac gets there) works better because Jenna wouldn't be sent to retrieve Psynergy Stones for the same reason Isaac wouldn't be: she's just a kid. Having Jenna be told to go with Isaac and get out of the village would work as well, though, since it results in the same scenario but with one more kid to carry Psynergy Stones and explains why Jenna's still in the village rather than being rescued and held hostage post-boulder impact as with her parents.

Forgot to add an "under ordinary circumstances" to my second point regarding not-yet-Adepts not absorbing Psynergy Stones. In this case, being hit on the head by a Psynergy Stone traveling at a high enough velocity to shatter on impact even without being absorbed would not be "ordinary circumstances".

Quote from: Fox on 25, November, 2015, 05:11:48 PM
Um... I don't know about young kids not being able to absorb them... Perhaps it'd be better to say that the ability to absorb is slow enough to bring them...
They might not have any learned abilities or any class, but they do have a small amount of PP, right?
That's pretty much what I was getting at. Mostly that the rate at which they absorb them is super low; so low as to be basically nonexistent with essentially no development of Psynergy ability or training.

Okay, then... Although I sort of doubt "super low" would be correct enough...(?)

@
QuoteForgot to add an "under ordinary circumstances" to my second point regarding not-yet-Adepts not absorbing Psynergy Stones. In this case, being hit on the head by a Psynergy Stone traveling at a high enough velocity to shatter on impact even without being absorbed would not be "ordinary circumstances"
.... would this be talking about Eoleo?
A  moment ago I was thinking about Eoleo.. (http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Eoleo)
Basically, he's a toddler, and when he was hit by a Psynergy Stone, it resulted in him.... well... he ended up getting adept powers... (Telekinesis)
Just to point out just how powerful Psynergy Stones are... even for just a toddler!

I am not sure what to say about speed of psynergy stones, or what evidence there might be to support any theories... Aside from the idea that Psynergy Stones seem to have an effect on everyone. (Maybe I should check the werewolves out.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Aile~♥

I'm not suggesting it works perfectly with canon as-is, but then canon doesn't really work perfectly with itself so not much is different there.

Regardless of whether or not Psynergy Stones affect everyone, the idea is that only someone or something with trained (or otherwise "unlocked") Psynergy will absorb all the energy from them (thus causing them to destabilize and shatter) with mere physical contact.