News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Help with the editor!

Started by isaac3000, 11, November, 2015, 07:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isaac3000

Hello you guys!! I hope you enjoyed Halloween! (Americans at least)!!

I need your help, about following problem of mine.

I am working on a present for my cousin, that is, translating Golden Sun in Greek, since the editor does not recognize the Greek alphabet though, I use greeklish (Latin alphabet, rearranged to make sense in Greek, like this: kalimera which is Good Morning).

Everything was fine, until I decided to include a joke, I made Garet at some point say too much, and the editor semi-crushed. Everything was a blurry and did not make sense, it was easy for me to fix, I just opened up another editor with an original English version, and translated as always...

Anyway here comes the problem, as I went on translating, I noticed that a certain line does not change, no matter what I do.

It is after the 3 years, where Garet says: But, [17][6]..!  ([17][6] is Jenna I think, anyway this is not of importance)

When I try to give the Greek word for but, which is ma, it does not change. The editor keeps the above. I tried to patch a new file, but the problem remains. And I calculated, this problem keeps for about 250 lines of dialogue, not much compared to the 6000 lines, but still it bother me though...

Is there any way for me to fix it? Please, I do not want to start over, I have translated everything else, apart the dialogue of the game, but I also want to give a proper translation to my cousin.

Anything would help!

Thanks in advance!!

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Golden Sun 1?
Does the editor say anything about not being able to compress it? (Atrius's Editor does not rewrite char tables, so only certain letter combinations work... And those are the letter combinations used in the original text. If the letter comibnation doesn't exist in the original text, it's unsupported.)

(Tried capitalizing the 'm' maybe? ("0x00" to m is a char combo, and so is "ma", and "a," ....and I'm asking because most lines start with a capital letter.)
I haven't checked, but if that is the case, you could have two options:
-Use gstoolkit - It saves the text as uncompressed to the ROM.
-Use one of our compressors that rewrite the char tables. (Which means that it is better compression than not doing so after editing. i.e. Atrius's editor) (If you scroll up, you may see a version of mine in C# that works faster than approxies's, but I think I only have mine compatible to GS2 (U)... By swapping address values, though, it could be easily compatible with GS1/Mario Golf/Mario Tennis. -(Oh yeah, and use of my editor may result in larger patch files than Atrius's because everything was repointed, while Atrius's just repoints edited sections, I think. Not sure about approxies, though... since didn't investigate.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)