News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Is there any storyline indicating the amount of time elapsed in GS1 & GS2?

Started by Triyence, 18, November, 2015, 07:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triyence

Do we know how many days/months/years elapsed from leaving Vale to lighting the Mars tower?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

I have no idea?
But I really doubt that there is an exact number... because of the fact you can use the Inn as much as you want...
Perhaps it is more useful to know the minimum number of days...
-Colosso - when you wake up in bed.
-I think you sleep at Garoh.
-It gets dark when you first get to Kibombo (Town with the Gabomba Statue)
-Surely Lemuria works on a different time schedule?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

I think someone hints at it almost being a year since the first game started (I want to say during the post-Jupiter Lighthouse reunion), but I can't remember for sure.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

Actually during the reunion of the two parties they still mention the storm from the prologue of the first game as having been 3 years ago, so I would guess the whole adventure after leaving Vale lasted less than a year.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Parents? But...your parents died[3]three years ago, in that storm...[2]

^This line? - Any proof whether the characters were actually keeping track of time after they left? (Less than a year does feel about right... especially since appearance changes since leaving Vale doesn't happen.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

Oh yeah, they actually mention the storm. Beyond that and the mention of the volcano/Wise One stuff on Mars Lighthouse (which I don't think has any indication of how long their adventure has been), there's very little to go on. However, given what Atrius point out, it's probably closer to 3-3.5 years with the length of the adventure being rounded down. And three of those years are just from the early prologue. I can't imagine the two games take much longer than a year at most because no characters show any signs of aging throughout the first two games, barring one or two characters dying off screen.

Also, Apojii is super tiny and you can see every house on the world map, placed relative to where they are located in the town's actual map. You can also see them all within the same map. So the world isn't exactly so vast that it would take years to travel the whole thing.

So much confusing info though. Also, wow, my fun actually good more realistic slightly odd game theory is long. Feel free to ignore it if you wish, it is slightly off topic but it still contributes a fair bit to the discussion on in-game time and stuff!

One person in Alhafra says that winter is coming (when talking about boat repairs) and that they are worried about being unable to finish before it comes...
Another in Contigo says that winter just ended, shortly after you light Jupiter lighthouse...
Someone in Mikasalla seems to think [Mind Read] that the current time of the year is nicer than harsh winters...
Alex mentions Babi dying, but says that people in Tolbi may still be looking for you; as if it happened recently and they suspect you of having done it...
It's also possible that the calendar year itself has changed if going by what one of the Colosso gladiators thinks [Mind Read] with transfer data (Isaac beat them "last year" apparently).

So this info, combined with my calculation stuff in the spoiler, really makes me think that Ham(m)a and the rest of the people in Contigo are being melodramatic about wind chill. The world is not freezing over from an imbalance in alchemy, it's just getting colder because it's still March and people in Contigo live near a wind dungeon. That was just activated a couple hours before. That's why nobody who lives outside of Contigo (excluding Prox) seems to acknowledge that it is getting colder. As for the person in Alhafra, they live just north of a desert and probably never experiences any real winters. Colosso was probably around December and could be a part of an annual tradition for them, which also explains the pale grass in Tolbi. Oh, and spring came early in Mikasalla because they also live relatively close a couple hot deserts, even though it should still technically be winter (and their flyover town has a really poor tourism industry).

As for Prox, only three people seem to acknowledge the lit lighthouse as being somewhat responsible for the wind while nobody else who talks about the wind even mentions the lighthouse. That makes me think that, having been near Contigo when the lighthouse was lit, Karst & Agatio basically just told them that the lighthouse was responsible for the harsh winds and the townspeople took their word for it. The funny thing though is that, if you visit Kalt Island and speak to the couple there, they talk about their historical trade relations with Prox until the harsh winters froze the northern seas and made trade impossible. They say this before even lighting Jupiter Lighthouse.

Why do I go on about this? Because the post-reunion stuff likely only takes a couple weeks; much too short to know for sure whether the world really is freezing or if it's just a particularly bad case of wind chill that is prolonging the end of winter. I mean, not even a single dwarf in Loho mentions it getting colder...

So basically, that reason for lighting the lighthouses has been invalidated by yours truly. If you actually take it seriously that is. :P

[spoiler=Rough estimate based on calculations and a WIP hack]So, um, we'd have to calculate this ourselves somehow. Gamefaqs says that the first game takes an average of 40 real hours to beat while TLA takes almost 50. So 90 hours total. If we assign a real-life allotment of time to represent a game day, then we could do some basic math for a rough estimate. The tough part is deciding on how long an in-game hour takes in real time... I have a WIP time hack that uses 12 minute days, so:

90x60/12
= 450 in-game days is the length based on average playtime according to Gamefaqs, which is definitely over a year. The 12 minute thing was a temporary decision that would probably just apply to the world map though, so if going by 24 minute days we would have 225 days on average.

However, this is also including battles in this estimate. And in-game conversations (for reference, the WIP time hack makes the whole pre-control part of the prologue, with Jenna/Kraden/Alex, take half a day). According to this, it would take a few days just for Kraden or Alex to say what they want in a given cutscene, and at least several more for the number of battles you have to do. So it might be fair to round down a little bit and bring it closer to 175-200 in-game days.

Which is a fair estimate, but again largely based on how long it takes for the average player to beat and disregards players who get through it slower or faster than the average. I personally like the idea that the entirety of the first two games takes place in half a year though, and one of the dialogue/script guides on Gamefaqs doesn't seem to prove otherwise.[/spoiler]
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Radamanthys

That dialog in Kalt is the biggest hint we get regarding the current time in the real world, it's basically "Winter is coming!" (or well more like, winter is already here)

When you start the game it is Spring or Summer I'd imagine and by the end of the game it's winter so I would think it takes place in 9ish months at most