News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Balance Philosophy?

Started by Salanewt, 17, December, 2015, 04:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caledor

Despite being the most fervent supporter of reverting terms to their japanese original (when the change to english is meaningless) i'd never touch this one.

Energy was changed to Psynergy because the name wasn't exotic enough for english speakers. Psynergy, on top of fulfilling said goal, is similar to the japanese name AND coherent with the power it represents.

Moreover, changing the name wouldn't change what it represents one bit, since it's clearly described in-game.

Rolina

Mostly the ties to GS are what's stopping me.  At the moment, my system is being made for Golden Sun fans.  If I do wind up using this though, I'm probably going to make exactly those changes, since I'll be using my own IP.  That is an eventual end goal, after all.  Luckily, I can finally afford to go to college starting this year, so I'll be able to start getting the education I need to help me not only get back up to speed in terms of math and computer science (I've forgotten so much over the last decade it's depressing), but I should also be able to learn modern programming and design techniques.

leaf

Well, yes. I should probably clarify, when I said "what's stopping you from doing that now?" I was referring to creating a non-adept with a resource. I don't think you should rename PP if you're staying within the GS framework. I was trying to convey that changing the name to EP wouldn't change anything about your problem.

Congrats on entering college btw.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Rolina

Heh, I haven't entered yet - it's my job that's helping me afford it, so once I get a year down full time, they'll pay for half my college.  I'll be able to start college in the Summer Semester as a result, gonna use the shorter session to catch up on the remedial courses I'll need to get back up to date.  Thanks for the wellwishes, though.

Aile~♥

Since GS currently doesn't have Spell Offence/Spell Defence stats, I just use the Base Damage Multiplier patch to make PP an offence stat and use the ratio of HP/Defence for spell damage tanking vs. physical damage tanking. High HP but low Defence = eat spells all day, but fall to physical strikes. High Defence but low HP = eat physical attacks all day, but fall to spell damage.

If Caledor were to make a patch for his "Delusion prevents unleashes" modification, I would gladly abuse that to make spell damage weapons properly-balanced as well.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

Well yeah, but... this is about balance philosophy, so the idea here is that if you could, what would you do, and why?

Rolina

No idea where a question about this would go in the new forum layout, so I'm gonna put it up here.  Catman over in Golden Sunrise had come up with a type of support that I think is interesting - "Auras".  These would behave a bit differently than your more traditional spell type, and would have their own ups and downs.  I came up with a quick scratchpad-style idea for how they'd work, and I'd like y'alls opinions and suggestions on the topic.

Auras only affect the user.
Auras would work as a toggle, and would have a low initial PP cost.  As a toggle, activating/turning off auras doesn't use up the turn, and further action may be done on that turn (ex: Activate 3 auras, cast Liquifier.)
Multiple auras can stack, so long as they affect different stats/have different effects.
Stat boost auras take up a buff slot for that stat, and behave much like a buff.
With an aura active, any time you'd take damage, you take PP damage in proportion to the damage you'd take (damage is applied for each aura in play.
In the case of defensive auras, you'd take damage as if you didn't have the aura (though buffs from other spells would work).
Auras have a recurring cost equal to the cost of the spell (at the end of each turn, they lose PP equal to the cost of all applied auras).
Once an adept no longer has enough PP for upkeep, the auras dispel.
PP regen is cut by half when an aura is active (does not compound with multiple auras).  PP restoration items and djinn are unaffected.

Auras come in two types - those that increase in effect as PP goes down, and those that decrease in effect as PP goes down.

Enraged Auras:  As PP goes down, the aura gets stronger and stronger.  For stat boost auras, the stats go from 12.5% → 25% → 37.5% → 50% at each quarter remaining.  For effect auras, the chance increases from low, to mid, to high for each third remaining.

Diminishing Auras:  As PP goes down, the aura gets weaker and weaker.  For stat boost auras, the stats go from 50% → 35.5% → 25% → 12.5% at each quarter remaining.  For effect auras, the chance increases from high, to mid, to low for each third remaining.

Limitations:

You cannot have both the Enraged and Diminishing version of an aura for a certain stat or effect in the same class.
Auras cannot affect an area - the can only affect the user, or in the case of counters the attacker.
Auras can be dispelled via break-type effects.
Psy Seals disable the ability to toggle auras, but do not outright dispel them.  If an aura is active when sealed, it cannot be turned off until either the seal ends or the adept runs out of PP.
HP/PP Regen and Drain are not available as auras. HP/PP damage, however, are.

Things of note:

Auras are not limited like buffs, debuffs, and ailments are, and are basically "pick as many as desired for as many slots as you have available"
Auras hypothetically could outlast standard buff, or could only last a very short amount of time.  It all depends on how much PP the adept has to spend.
Be careful when stacking auras.  Sure, you could have six different auras active at the same time, but you take 6x the PP damage when you get hit if you do that.  This is very much a risk vs reward type of situation, as though you could be super powerful, you can also get drained of fuel quite quickly.

tl;dr - Auras are a self-target only buff that has no set duration, but consumes a bit of PP each turn and triggers PP damage upon PP damage.  When out of PP, auras end.  Auras work as a toggle, and toggling auras counts as a "free action", and you can have multiple auras active at once, but the PP consumption effects stack.

More traditional buffs work instead by targeting anyone on the party/the whole party, and last a set number of turns.