Golden Sun Hacking Community
January 17, 2018, 01:14:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building an RPG engine in GML  (Read 10650 times)
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2016, 03:26:03 PM »

Well, I'll look into that... But what I assume is If the code be executed at all... and as long as the code exists on your hard-drive... (i.e. not executed across the internet on someone else's server.)... then one form of decompiling should be possible... even if it does not match the original source code format. (In that case, I would find decompiling desirable for even my own GM projects... if I had any.)

I know that there is such a thing as code obfuscation... but I have not checked how that would make it impossible? (And maybe such a technique would slow down execution speed? I dunno.)

If you have any information that suggests how it is impossible... then I would be very interested in exactly why... (Besides Atrius's Editor (back in the day)... I suppose that I can't really think of any project that I'd really want it for... but I can see the possibility of myself decompiling a number of other games (maybe?) if I want to understand their bugs/or interested in their code structure/whether it could cause bugs and such... maybe... but can't say I'd do any editing as far as that goes/since I'm not really interested in GM in that way... at least not right now...  but um...)

--- Actually looking it up for a short moment suggests that some versions of GM actually had the source code (and structure) in the exe itself. ---
What do error messages look like when done on Studio-compiled apps?

I start thinking how we have to study GS's decompression routines before we can make compression ones of our own... and I haven't figured if it'd be the same via studying the compiler code to make a decompiler. (Not sure if a number of people would go that far.)

---
While I may check to see if other people have done it... I myself (even if by the small chance that I might have the capability of possibly getting somewhere...(with research, anyway.))... I probably won't waste my time with trying for right now... I think my M&L and GS editor projects have a higher priority.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 04:11:23 PM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Remember kids! Before you go on that interview, remember to wash your hands in teawater! *Coughs on hand* (Excuse me, I just coughed up a little teawater, so they're still clean!) You wouldn't want that hiring manager to be unimpressed.

May the force be with you!
Shoo! Why does it smell in here?
Maybe that's the wrong kind of force. *smirk*
View Profile
Luna_blade
The last member of the Luna clan
Luna Clan

Great Member

Coins: 0

I am: Timeless. As in, i don't have much free time.

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2016, 07:14:53 PM »

If you have any information that suggests how it is impossible... then I would be very interested in exactly why... (Besides Atrius's Editor (back in the day)... I suppose that I can't really think of any project that I'd really want it for... but I can see the possibility of myself decompiling a number of other games (maybe?) if I want to understand their bugs/or interested in their code structure/whether it could cause bugs and such... maybe... but can't say I'd do any editing as far as that goes/since I'm not really interested in GM in that way... at least not right now...  but um...)
http://yal.cc/on-gamemaker-studio-game-decompilation/
Atrius' editor wasn't written in GM:Studio.
Actually looking it up for a short moment suggests that some versions of GM actually had the source code (and structure) in the exe itself.
Yeah.
What do error messages look like when done on Studio-compiled apps?
That's a good question. I think it depends on the error. But most of the time it will be a silent crash, I think.
I start thinking how we have to study GS's decompression routines before we can make compression ones of our own... and I haven't figured if it'd be the same via studying the compiler code to make a decompiler. (Not sure if a number of people would go that far.)
Let it slide. I don't think we really have to worry about stolen source code. Most people come here to help, not to steal.
I think my M&L and GS editor projects have a higher priority.
Yep.

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.
View Profile
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2016, 07:32:07 PM »

Thanks! That was the page I was looking at, in fact... but I don't think I read every word of it.. While he may know more about the subject than me right now, I did have the feeling the guy who wrote that article may not know just how deep things can go... (That's just the feeling I had, not that that is actually so... I could be completely off.)

And yes, I know Atrius's editor was not written in Studio... besides... Studio didn't even exist back in the day.

That is true as well... for the most part... but I still like the technical/educational side of things. i.e. Building a decompiler may not be stealing in itself... but some people would probably use it for such... Even though a totally legitimate use for it could be to help one to rebuild their own project if they ever lose their own source code. (And believe me, there will be plenty of people who will want it for that.... the majority of which are most likely non-professional programmers.)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 07:59:37 PM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Remember kids! Before you go on that interview, remember to wash your hands in teawater! *Coughs on hand* (Excuse me, I just coughed up a little teawater, so they're still clean!) You wouldn't want that hiring manager to be unimpressed.

May the force be with you!
Shoo! Why does it smell in here?
Maybe that's the wrong kind of force. *smirk*
View Profile
Luna_blade
Luna Clan

Great Member

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2016, 06:28:28 AM »

Quote from: Fox
Even though a totally legitimate use for it could be to help one to rebuild their own project if they ever lose their own source code. (And believe me, there will be plenty of people who will want it for that.... the majority of which are most likely non-professional programmers.
That's right.

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.
View Profile
roger
the blind-oriented developer
Jupiter Clan

Coins: 3

I am: chillin'

« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2016, 07:09:16 PM »

Update:

- Overworld has no menus yet, only one NPC. Also sprites/backgrounds obviously are temporary.
- Item menu doesn't have any function in battles yet.
- I haven't done anything with the stat upgrades so that is probably buggy.
- Party colour is currently random to show off the music change mechanic.
- 1 in 4 battles will be harder and will have different music.
- Fleeing always works
- Some sprites are missing/gibberish
- Possible crashes (please report to me all crashes with copy/paste of what it spits out)
- No animations in battle. I might not even get this in by the time I get a crowdfunding demo out. The way the battle's animations are programmed make setting up certain things complicated (pseudo-3D graphics). I have an idea for an engine but it's so time consuming to make sure it works properly that I want to develop it after the rest of the engine is complete.
- Camera spin sometimes does this overlay glitch, it's because I'm not done with it yet ;)
- Loss isn't programmed.
- You can restart the game by pressing shift, and spawn a battle in the overworld with backspace.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/txsc2drr8569sey/colors_demo.zip?dl=0

View Profile WWW
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

Coins: 32

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.
Emblems: Have a nice day.

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2016, 04:40:50 PM »

Nice work! I like where that background is heading as well, looks calm and stuff.

Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
roger
Jupiter Clan

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2016, 04:09:45 PM »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/txsc2drr8569sey/colors_demo.zip?dl=0

Demo Update:
-You now have an inventory. Main bag + individual character inventories.
-Menus!!!!!
-Party menu – you can equip items, move your party around, check your moves and check your stats. Talk menu currently WIP.
- Inventory – You can give items to characters and toss. Use doesn’t work yet but none of the items provided have uses outside of equipping yet anyways…
- Option – Just two at the moment.
- Saving!!! You can load a game by pressing shift while in the overworld, and it will load from a previous save file.
- A few minor balance changes, most notably dipping costs more MP
- Characters have abilities, although they’re invisible to the player. Richard doubles experience gained from battles and Mike autotargets and has a chance of dealing triple damage.
- bug fixes, bug fixes everywhere

To Do:
- Currently working on a way to have leveling be more balanced. Right now if you battle the same characters over and over you get the same amount of experience.
- Display friendship stats on the menus, lol forgot to do that
- Sprites, visual bug fixes, ect.
- Victory screen has some visual bugs if you equip stat-boosting items.
- Battle item effects (Orgonite, Scrolls, Arrows and Potions) as well as bag equip (use a turn to equip an item)

View Profile WWW
roger
Jupiter Clan

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2016, 03:07:28 AM »

Dialog trees:

View Profile WWW
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

Coins: 32

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.
Emblems: Have a nice day.

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2016, 07:43:23 PM »

Nice work, Seta Metta! I can't remember if I asked in Skype (I think I did), but were you planning to add voice sounds when they talk?

Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
roger
Jupiter Clan

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2016, 06:47:28 PM »

Thanks, Sala.

Here's another update for ya - Name screen and a lot of cleanup work in the presentation department:

View Profile WWW
roger
Jupiter Clan

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2016, 06:07:03 PM »

Demo is out:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/31p3m3yy2n7dsgg/Colors-Default-1.0.0.35.zip?dl=0

View Profile WWW
roger
Jupiter Clan

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2016, 06:02:47 PM »

Better-er demo is out:

DOWNLOAD ME

contains a lot more features and stability stuff, try it out! :D

View Profile WWW
Luna_blade
Luna Clan

Great Member

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2016, 11:20:17 AM »

WOW!!! Exclamation
This is a nice demo! I definitly see this becoming a good game!
EDIT: this game makes me think of Mortis Ghost' OFF.

Also, did you primitive drawing in some of things?
It looks nice.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 12:34:12 PM by Luna_blade » Logged

View Profile
roger
Jupiter Clan

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2016, 01:02:41 PM »

Every asset in the game is made by me, outside of the SAPI5 extention which is used for blind accessibility. However I'm trying to hook up with a decent 3D animator to do the overworld sprites, kind of like how Golden Sun's overworld sprites are derived from 3D models.

View Profile WWW
roger
Jupiter Clan

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2016, 12:34:04 AM »

slightly better-er-er demo is out:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6z5f6g632l267o/Colors-Default-1.0.0.92.zip?dl=0

NOTE: Taking a break since I'm starting out at big bloo, so once things settle down there expect more regular updates.

View Profile WWW
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Yesterday at 08:44:56 PM
Fox: I must say... life can be complicated..... when you have question(s) (via email) ... and it seems like they sort of get ignored. :D ; Fun, (And sometimes, a person may respond, and completely not answer the question.... so like... 3-person conversation.) Hahahaha!!
January 15, 2018, 07:26:16 PM
Fox: (path) 1 text=(address) char=(address) free=(address) ; << Well, closer to this... but yeah... even if I do choose to have defaults in the code, I could still use this method for overrides.
January 15, 2018, 07:24:28 PM
Fox: So like (path) 0 text=(address) char=(address) len=(number) ; (path) 1 free=(address) ; Or something. But that's just a quick example.
January 15, 2018, 06:59:14 PM
Fox: Hopefully. I was wanting to make it so you could put in the addresses/etc. as one of the arguments in the path. Hm?
January 15, 2018, 03:37:07 PM
KyleRunner: Nice! I hope you'll add compatibility with others games (GS1, Mario Golf and Tennis) soon.
January 14, 2018, 11:40:09 PM
Fox: Okay. Posted (in Downloads section) an initial cutdown version for now, for my text compressor. Basically to separate the code from my Editor for anyone who wants to mess with it. It only supports GS2, because I still didn't add the addresses/etc. for the other games.
January 14, 2018, 05:01:00 PM
Fox: Okay! Going to need to think how I want it to work. Initial thoughts is maybe have a number of arguments in the filepath thing. And have a number of shortcuts (files) to be used as examples. Assuming there are no problems.
January 14, 2018, 10:38:24 AM
KyleRunner: Well... I'm used to editing text ina a text editor, so... yes! Thanks in advance!
January 13, 2018, 11:38:43 PM
Fox: (Text editor = Text Document like notepad.)
January 13, 2018, 11:38:21 PM
Fox: Would you prefer during the text editing in a text editor? (Like what gstoolkit lets you do?) I could probably make a separate tool or something to compress it.
January 13, 2018, 10:10:02 PM
KyleRunner: Ok. Once I finish my Lost Age translation, I'll try a Mario Golf one. Thanks. (But I'll need help).
January 13, 2018, 10:03:17 PM
Fox: If you want to make it "permanent" (part of a hack), then you'd edit code in the ROM that writes to this location of the IDs you'd want to change. (You can find these locations by using a breakpoint debugger like SDL-H or no$gba.)
January 13, 2018, 10:00:11 PM
Fox: Reload/switch = Recommended to be done through Debug mode/warp menu, ofcourse... since doors seem to appear as if they were disabled? ; 03001238:01 and B+Start to get to warp menu.
January 13, 2018, 09:55:39 PM
Fox: @Kyle Runner = It might be, but you'd have to use the correct addresses for Mario Golf, rather than for GS2 as I have it right now. ; @raijinken = Yes. 02000454 = ID of leader. (Change this and reload/switch room you are in, enjoy.)
January 13, 2018, 02:23:29 PM
raijinken: Hey guys, is it possible to somehow change the lead character on the map? Was wondering. I remember there was a cheat to use Jenna, but what if I wanted Isaac, or Piers?
January 13, 2018, 02:10:03 PM
KyleRunner: Hey, Fox *
January 13, 2018, 02:09:37 PM
KyleRunner: Hey, is your text editor compatible with Mario Golf (GBA)?
January 11, 2018, 08:33:13 PM
Fox: But if it isn't an oversight, I still can't imagine it being that useful.
January 11, 2018, 08:28:24 PM
Fox: part, ofcourse.
January 11, 2018, 08:28:15 PM
Fox: 0200274C = Hmm... Stuff happens here when you use Cyclone around bushes. (These cause tile replacements, and setting event 0 to those tiles.) - And I guess this kept here so it can be scanned after battle. (To re-update the map.) So here is my fun thought (assuming if it is even possible, or even convenient if so.) ... Are there any events from other maps that could be disabled do to using Cyclone on bushes + Retreat glitch? I'll need to do some testing to make sure this isn't an oversight on my

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise