Golden Sun Hacking Community
December 14, 2019, 11:29:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building an RPG engine in GML  (Read 18607 times)
roger
a programmer that likes supertramp
Jupiter Clan

Coins: 20

I am: chillin'

« on: February 03, 2016, 11:41:50 PM »

I've had this idea for an RPG engine for a while so I've started building it out. I'm using GS sprites for the visuals since it will use a similar graphics engine for the battles.

Currently I just have the basic rotation effect working, but it's pretty rad. I have it for download here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/am7kanqpujj5rj9/gsdemo.zip?dl=0

File's still uploading while I write this but yeah.

View Profile WWW
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Global Moderator

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

Coins: 200

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.
Emblems: Have a nice day.

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 11:49:45 PM »

Nice work! I do believe I will take a look pretty soon, provided I don't forget.  Sweat Drop

Are you planning a whole new game with this engine?

Edit: Took a look, and it seems like a nice start! For those who decide to check it out and can't understand it, the speed of your mouse decides how much the camera will spin (and how fast). Horizontal movement.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 12:14:34 AM by Lord Squirtle » Logged

Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
roger
Jupiter Clan

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 08:13:45 PM »

Yeah, I'm building a game out, I just want to have the basic animation functions for battle ready. Currently I have the following working:

> Camera rotation (fixed a lot of the issues)
> jumping
> Zoom for critical hits (sort of working, still need to figure out how to center the camera

Once I finish doing moving from one character towards another, I can set up basic attack animations and start building the actually battle engine. The stats are there but they don't really do anything.

View Profile WWW
roger
Jupiter Clan

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 04:49:55 PM »

Update:

Working on attacking animations right now, but I got this humerous bug:

Clearly that jupiter djinni just wants to get out of there.

View Profile WWW
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Global Moderator

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 05:39:55 PM »

Well yeah, they have been stuck in that room for days now. :P

Looking good! I'm also pretty excited to see what sort of game you're planning with this engine; should be fun.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
roger
Jupiter Clan

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 11:27:09 PM »

Alright, I've updated the link again. New features:

- Title screen with music.
- Jumping attack with critical animation.
- Battle entrance animation by pressing enter.
- Showing a little off with the music engine changing songs.
- Restart the demo by pressing shift.

EDIT: Totally forgot this forum had an upload feature lol

* colors_demo.zip (3808.8 KB - downloaded 158 times.)

View Profile WWW
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Global Moderator

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 12:03:21 AM »

Going to check it out later, but I already downloaded; looks good so far!

Also lol, yeah. Uploading is fun. :P

View Profile WWW
roger
Jupiter Clan

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 12:07:50 AM »

Updated the dropbox link again, if you really need the old version, you can download it from the above posts.

Updates:
- Have attack animation. You have to press enter twice to get through it entirely.
- Expanded sprites and backgrounds by 4 times, they will be replaced by the next release
- Names above the Battlers (representing their future sprites)
- Text below the battle scene
- Locks rotation when attacking.

There are some bugs regarding depth, shadows and some attack angles and the critical hit I'd like to work out a bit better. But it's looking a lot better than before.

I'll update this post with some pics of it in action.

EDIT: Images

The game's tentative name is currently "Colors".

Spoiler for Hidden:
Title Screen

Enter Battle

Attack

* colors_demo.zip (3991.33 KB - downloaded 148 times.)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 12:23:08 AM by Seto Kaiba » Logged

View Profile WWW
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Global Moderator

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 02:38:47 AM »

Looking good! I just tried it out, and everything seems to work okay enough as well.

View Profile WWW
roger
Jupiter Clan

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 01:46:14 AM »

Here's a preview with some new sprites.

View Profile WWW
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Global Moderator

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 01:50:25 AM »

Looking good! An army of Mikes and a Uniwyvern?

View Profile WWW
roger
Jupiter Clan

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 01:57:40 AM »

Right now I'm working on getting the stats to load into their proper places. Since there's no real general party objects defined yet, the party just spawns a bunch of empty battlers, which defaults to Mike.

The birds are called "Skullbird" and the Unicorn thing is called "Tricorn".

View Profile WWW
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Global Moderator

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 02:01:02 AM »

Awesome, nice work! I'm really interested in seeing how this develops; the "aura" in the upper left in particular.

View Profile WWW
Luna_blade
The last member of the Luna clan
Luna Clan

Great Member

I am: Timeless. As in, i don't have much free time.

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 06:36:32 AM »

Great stuff.

"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"
View Profile
roger
Jupiter Clan

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 07:53:56 PM »

To answer your question Salanewt, the Aura colour is a colour that is used for your team's "aura", which is a combination of the colours in your party.

The algorithm is this:

If the colour's individual red/green/blue values are under 127, it subtracts from the current value. Otherwise it adds x - 127 to the current colour. It clamps between 0 and 255.

The closer each red/green/blue value is to either 0 or 255, the more of a stat boost you get, depending on what value it is. It goes up to 7 and applies to attack, defense, magic, resistance, agility and MP recovery.

In addition, if the aura colour is in a certain range, you also get special field effects that correlate with that colour's element. For example, red burns all non-fire type opponents for burn damage at the end of each turn.

There are two ways to change colour in battle.

Basically, each team has a colour modifier list, that you can add new colours to. It applies the same algorithm, in order, from the team's base colour calculated at the beginning of the battle through all the colours in this list.

You can add colours to your team by "dipping the paint", which adds the character's colour value to the current aura. Or, your enemy can "throw the paint" at you, which will add their aura colour to yours. Some monsters have special abilities that can add colours to your or their aura as well.

The catch - you can't see your opponent's aura and vice versa. You can only tell what it approximately is from the elemental field effects that are applied.

The colour changing effects decay after 2 turns, and only one member of either team can "dip the paint" or "throw the paint" a turn (however any other effect that adds colours can still apply)

In addition, each character has a weapon that basically adds a special chance effect to their ordinary attack. For example, people with canes have a chance to attack 3 times in a row, swords can cause the bleed status while guns can cause an enemy to flinch.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 07:57:27 PM by Seto Kaiba » Logged

View Profile WWW
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Global Moderator

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 07:57:22 PM »

Okay, cool. I think I actually remember you discussing this colour thing over Skype a long time ago; maybe over a year ago now? Pretty neat to see it coming to fruition, so good luck with that.

Any progress updates?

View Profile WWW
roger
Jupiter Clan

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2016, 08:03:22 PM »

You're totally right Sala, its the same thing. I've worked out a lot of the issues, and I've got the plotlines for the main characters set up. I've also thought of a few different ways the story can play out, so there are different paths (there's currently a 100% ending, a regular ending and a genocide ending).

The basic plotline is that you play as Black, and since black is #000000, in that culture that's really bad because essentially you can't predict your future. It's explained in more detail once I get the demo up. Anyways, your friend Red, who also faces discrimination because of the colour of his soul, discusses with you some of the problems with this and wishes for a world without colour. Well, the next morning you wake up, and all the colour is gone! Only the people who can "dip the paint", or touch the colours of their souls, are able to get out of bed. So you and Red go on a mission to discover why and see what can be done about the situation... as well as reversing society's trend of discrimination.

I'll have something out tonight most likely. I currently just got the colour thing working, but there's a bug where the display counter does this annoying thing where if it's 255 it goes to 0 and vice versa.

I REALLY wanna see if I can get the battle workflow running by the end of the week though. That'd be awesome.

Also, there's a new enemy. Meet Dipper:

« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 08:06:58 PM by Seto Kaiba » Logged

View Profile WWW
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Global Moderator

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 10:10:44 PM »

Sweet, nice work! Sounds like an interesting story as well. I'm particularly curious about the genocide ending now, given that one of my new favourite games has something similar and this makes me wonder if there's a connection between the two. :P

Also, Dipper is cute.

View Profile WWW
roger
Jupiter Clan

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2016, 09:10:44 AM »

Here's some progress I made:

The aura now updates properly, and depending on what your aura is when you enter battle, the music changes instruments!

colour update demonstration

song change demonstration

Oh, and the background track for the battle theme, for your listening enjoyment:

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 04:57:37 PM by Seto Kaiba » Logged

View Profile WWW
Luna_blade
The last member of the Luna clan
Luna Clan

Great Member

I am: Timeless. As in, i don't have much free time.

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 09:05:31 PM »

You're totally right Sala, its the same thing. I've worked out a lot of the issues, and I've got the plotlines for the main characters set up. I've also thought of a few different ways the story can play out, so there are different paths (there's currently a 100% ending, a regular ending and a genocide ending).

The basic plotline is that you play as Black, and since black is #000000, in that culture that's really bad because essentially you can't predict your future. It's explained in more detail once I get the demo up. Anyways, your friend Red, who also faces discrimination because of the colour of his soul, discusses with you some of the problems with this and wishes for a world without colour. Well, the next morning you wake up, and all the colour is gone! Only the people who can "dip the paint", or touch the colours of their souls, are able to get out of bed. So you and Red go on a mission to discover why and see what can be done about the situation... as well as reversing society's trend of discrimination.

I'll have something out tonight most likely. I currently just got the colour thing working, but there's a bug where the display counter does this annoying thing where if it's 255 it goes to 0 and vice versa.

Damn, that sounds interesting. Is it going to be an abstract game or something?

"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"
View Profile
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Today at 01:31:38 AM
Fox: In my opinion, even with the old system where it was set up so you could only coin people once per hour... I think it would have been far more fair if we could have also coined ourselves hourly.... since people have favoritism for certain people.... I feel like that could mitigate it some. At least to get badges that people care about the most. - Unlimited coining sounds like a step further than that, which is interesting... :)
Today at 01:12:00 AM
Fox: Do note, that people can't coin themselves... but I feel if you got someone who's willing to transfer the coins you give them back to you... it is as though you have that coin option on yourself anyway....
Today at 01:07:29 AM
Fox: Go to any of my forum posts, look for where it says Coins... under that, you'll see [increase] , clicking that will give me coins. You won't lose anything for doing so. Click it as much as you like... Under that, you should see Send Money (a faster option if you got the coins). Use that link to transfer your coins to me of any amount you want. (e.g. Put in 2000, means I get 2000, you lose 2000... but if I've already given you 2000+, you don't really have to see it as actually losing anything.)
Yesterday at 03:42:39 PM
Foreclosure: How do I return favor, sir?
Yesterday at 03:12:25 PM
Fox: After review of the affiliate sites, and not seeing where they link back to us, I nominate removing both of them? Hm.
Yesterday at 01:33:03 PM
Fox: If you don't feel like clicking, you can probably just use the Send option, and I can give you more.
Yesterday at 01:21:21 PM
Fox: Alright. Mind returning the favor?
Yesterday at 01:11:26 PM
Foreclosure: Gimme! >D
Yesterday at 08:51:30 AM
Fox: Obviously, those who more active may get more.
Yesterday at 08:42:35 AM
Fox: Santa has came by to give a bunch of you at least 20 coins. :)
December 04, 2019, 11:48:57 AM
Fox: (Uh... Ignore "Love" at the beginning... I think I started to say it in a different way, then changed my mind.)
December 04, 2019, 11:47:50 AM
Fox: Love gsiconcompressor has been updated... Mainly an attempt to make icon editing a bit more straight-forward than ever before. Although, the coding wasn't exactly that straight-forward.
November 14, 2019, 01:50:02 PM
Fox: So like... a layers offset might normally be located at +0xC, but in Tennis, it is at +0x10)
November 14, 2019, 01:48:51 PM
Fox: (Talking about the data in map header thingy.)
November 14, 2019, 01:48:10 PM
Fox: So took a look at Tennis.... Seems Atrius's editor displays all maps incorrectly because he forgot that some stuff was offsetted by 4 (You know with everything from layer offsets and files/etc.)  Fix that, and it seems to display properly. Hm.
November 14, 2019, 06:18:29 AM
Fox: That is a quote I found somewhere. How amusing. xD
November 14, 2019, 06:18:06 AM
Fox: only canadians give up dont be a canadian
November 11, 2019, 03:27:02 AM
Salanewt: Especially since there might be a v0.5.1.1 in the near future, if any bugs are found by people playing the demo.
November 11, 2019, 03:26:38 AM
Salanewt: Oh yeah, so for people who aren't aware; v0.5.1 of the AI Overhaul is available on the Discord, but I'm delaying the creation of a downloads page + topic until I finish the demo.
November 02, 2019, 12:05:31 PM
Fox: And yeah, there's a topic for the Discord. in News & Announcements (http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=2831.0)
November 02, 2019, 11:55:00 AM
Fox: Went to go study some German a little earlier. (Using duolingo to give it a try.) ... And. Huh. German capitalizes all nouns? (Not necessarily pronouns, though.)
November 01, 2019, 07:49:25 AM
thenightsshadow: Didn't realize there was a Discord at all.
October 31, 2019, 07:22:02 AM
Fox: (Which I guess not having Special badges in inventory was by purpose.... So I'll ifnore that bit. Just whats with the dup Halloween badge in inv?)
October 31, 2019, 07:18:26 AM
Fox: Question about badges = Why do I have two of the same Halloween badge in my inventory... but not on my profile? And by two, I mean the Honk badge is not there.
October 31, 2019, 06:56:26 AM
Fox: Does tns want to join the most active part of GSHC? - Its Discord? :D  And welcome back!
October 31, 2019, 06:52:17 AM
Fox: (Ofcourse it would be capitalized if it were the name of a system, and anytime that system would be referenced... but I'm more going with why we *never* see Psynergy and Djinni not capitalized.)
October 31, 2019, 06:49:58 AM
thenightsshadow: Yeah, just kinda got an email out of nowhere and it reminded me.
October 31, 2019, 06:42:40 AM
Fox: and main reason I said "not intended to become part of English" ... was because I thought of words like "animals"... and they can technically still be lowercase at times.
October 31, 2019, 06:41:17 AM
Fox: group/type/thing/whatever
October 31, 2019, 06:38:54 AM
Fox: Not saying it is exacly that... but it is a thought, at least.

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise