News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Project ??? -> overworld map

Started by dive_darkness, 16, February, 2016, 01:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dive_darkness

Based on the one seen in Lemuria. Will add the rivers later. Then I'll color the lands. Also twice makes a better place to talk about the map and GS2's geography than the story thread.

Some elements don't appear on the map seen in Lemuria. They are respectively Izumo and Apojii. All the others can be seen.

Ps: please don't mind the construction lines.

Luna_blade

This is some great stuff.

I made an ancient Weyard map a year ago with Paint.net, but I have a feeling yours is going to be better.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

dive_darkness

Haha, paint don't compare to my pencil power !!!

Also I looked at it already. Good stuff to help me put the main places at the right location. I also used it to help with the shape of the crescent-like huge continent.

dive_darkness

Small update to the map. Did do the rivers first finally. Red dots are the important places for alchemy (lighthouses, Aleph, Air's rock, aqua rock and Gaia rock). Haven't placed magma yet because I'm not really sure where to place it for now. Pink dots are the towns/cities I know where they are precisely. It can be hard to distinguish pink from red though >< I'll replace the pink by purple later.

Deserts are placed, karagol too, some mountain ranges when I knew where to place them.

Salanewt

Looks like a pretty good start! Did Vale exist pre-alchemy seal, or is that a different town? Just curious.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

dive_darkness

I thought it exists. It's one of the few places where there are adepts left, so I think yes. (Very few other adepts in other cities. None in Tolbi for exemple. Nor xian, Kolima, Bilibin or any other town like that. Comparatively, it must be old. (and sol sanctum was built out of nowhere too, so people lived there before.)

dive_darkness

Zoom on Lemuria, Apojii and Izumo. These regions count a lot of relatively flat lands. No real mountain ranges, just a few heights following the volcanic lines in the underground.

The city of Lemuria, which gave it's name to the island, is the one northeast. It is separated in two: the old town and the new town. The new one is on the east side of the bay, the old town on the west. Boats entered the bay and took the great stairs, or entered the great canal south and got into the underground port. The entrance into the cave were always done by a Lemurian Captain, and they always kept the path a secret. This is the only reason that Kept Lemuria from being attacked directly and dragged into a war. The stairs are too hard to climb for a whole army, climbing the cliffs wasn't an option, and the Port was the only way for warships to enter. But, pirates' assaults on their ships happened regularly.

Izumo has always been an isolated place. They are allied with Ankhol, and it is said that their warriors were some of the strongests. It is ruled by an emperor, who reigns on Izumo and apojii.

Apojii is a Province of Izumo. It consists mainly of Fishermans and artisans of the wood.

Luna_blade

Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

dive_darkness

Worked a bit on giving a less "empty" look to the map. (Mainly adding blue everywhere, lol.) give colors to a few more little islands. Added the "deep see cliff" to the big continent (see if you find it) and the "coral circle" (that one's easy to find).
I added those with an idea of maybe having:
- deep see cliff: an optional boss to help the port town that will be there.
- coral circle: you'd have two visits of aqua rock. First gives "Parch", second gives "dive" (no relation with my pseudo). "Dive" is exactly what it means: you can dive in certain spots. Just thought it was a good idea and added them.
They're both just ideas, but I still added them.

Luna_blade

Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

dive_darkness

Thx luna ^^ the only post since saturday ><

Ok, on another note: all the north part is done. As you can probable guess, Mt Aleph is in the morts part of the world. Yup. It's the same in the GS and GS:TLA
Also added the mountains in the south part of the crescent. Will color the forests/plains later.

Also: in the north, light green is used for thundra. There's practically no grass there. I just didn't want to let the north blank >< and didn't have other colors. Sorry.

javi3

buen trabajo! tienes pensado pasarlo al juego de alguna forma?

dive_darkness

No idea if i understood your question right, but yup, I'd like to make out of all this work.

And thanks!

dive_darkness

Another update !

The South Tip of the continent is done. The oceans have their definitive shapes and sizes.
I tried to add filters on the pic, because, well, it's hard to differentiate the light-blue from the darker one.
The worst part comes now: still haven't figured out where precisely I'll put the mountains. Will put them in place tomorrow or Saturday.

Not much to say, here you go !

Luna_blade

Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

dive_darkness

Okay, we're getting closer to the end of the map (finally !)

Atteka done. Indra done. Only west Gondwan, hesperia and South Angara to do and we're finished.
Now for the bad news: I actually made a huge mistake on Indra. If you look closely and compare it to the GS2 map, you'll see immediately that the mountains are wrong. I tried to correct it but... Too late >< small mistakes were unavoidable, but I failed pretty badly on that point.
Still I'm satisfied with my work so far.

Last update this week-end I hope. Just one hour to add to my 10 others on this thing (10 hours of actual drawing and coloring, not just looking and comparing with the official map.)

I'll also make a Scan of the map for a much better quality for the last update.

dive_darkness

Yo guys, Last update for the map. Everything is done and coloured. Total work time is around 10 hours of pure work (not counting the time spent lost in my toughts while drawing.

Thanks guys for the feedback.
Feel free to use the map as a model/basis for a real in-game one.

Here you go: scanned HD pic so you guys can zoom on everything.

Now for a small full description:

- Northeast island - Treasure Isle
- under treasure island stands Izumo, with it's well known Gaia Rock
- east of Izumo is the Illusive Forrest.
- Continuing to the east, Strago archipelago, and next to it the Coral Ring
- South from all that is the Apojii Archipelago, with the mysterious Aqua Rock
- Southeast stands the Frozen Island
- Lemuria doesn't need much explanations. You can see the old town and new town on the easter peaks, standing above the fjord. The legend says that you need a lemurian Captain to lead you to the port, because the path in the giant cave is extremely dangerous. On the southeast of lemuria you can see the Cave of Time.
- Continuing with the islands, but on the west side of the map this time. At the top you can see the small Snowy islet.
- the biggest island on the west side is Kalt. A cold microclimate there gave the island it's name.
- In the water you can see one of the many reefs on the map. but further south you can see the small island of Lahiho.
- the last island on the west side is the Old Forest. A place considered by many as sacred, and extremely dangerous.

Now for the big part ^^

- Norther red dot on the main continent is the Mars Lighthouse.
- Straight to the East stands the Mercury Lighthouse with the town of Imil.
- You can see a purple peak higher than others between those two, a bit south. This is the Aleph Mount, with the free town of vale at it's foot.
- Straight east from aleph mount, south from Mercury Lighthouse, you can see Kolima, and mogall just under.
- walking west of mogall will lead you to the Altin Peaks and the Lahmakan Desert.
- Just south of Lahmakan, you can see Champa and Ankohl. Two great and powerful cities.
- center-north, clearly, the Karagol sea.
- Just under Karagol is Suhalla, the desert, on the town with the same name.
- Just east of the desert is the Venus Lighthouse.
- Going a bit back up on the map, north-west of Karagol, you can see the Wild lake, and the wild mountain range. Legend says that tribes lives deep in the mountains.
- Now straight west from Venus Lighthouse, west of the great Fjord, stands Jupiter Lighthouse, and just a bit to the south (not on the map) stand Anemos, with it's big temple, built in honor of Luna and Sol.
- Now back on the east side of the continent, below suhalla, you can see the Lake Mist.
- Southeast from the lake, below the "^" shaped mountains, stand the Dehkan Mountain range.
- If you go southwest from there, you can't miss this gigantic plain. This is the Fields of Wind
- if you go west from the southern exit of the plain, you'll see the Great Mangrove. A small fishing town stands there.
- now straight east, you'll see two things. the first one is Yampi, a desert, and the second is the plain in which stands Air's Rock.
- Straight south from Air's rock, in a Valley, stands Garoh.
- East from Garoh, once you've crossed the mountain range there, you'll see a misty place. This is the Taopo swamp.
- under taopo, you'll see a big forest. This is Mar Forest.
- Continuing east, across the plains, you'll wind up in another desert-like place. This is the fields of sand.
- The southernest moutain range is called Toundra. It's peaks are always frozen, and snow during summer melts only a little bit.

all places aren't marked by red dots/pink dots. I just named the places on the spot, so you can name them however you want.
thank you all, again !

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Good job.
One small problem though... is the dimensions of that image suppose to be 1,024px × 841px? (Since your last image is larger.) I know that photobucket resizes images down. (Which makes it nearly useless for large image projects.) I have noticed others that keep the original size, though... like tinypic (Edit: imgur). (And urls are small enough too.) So just those two things alone could make it easily replace photobucket, if you know what I mean. (Except I do still use photobucket.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

dive_darkness

Absolutely no idea what it's dimensions are ^^'
I used photobucket because i have an account on this site. I'll look at Tinypic.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Actually.. no.. it wasn't tinypic.. they have the same issue as well.
It was imgur.com... that's what I meant.... I completely forgot/got them mixed up. (Shame on me for not realizing until I looked it up myself...)
[small]I use to use tinypic a LONG time ago... before I moved to photobucket... I don't use tinypic anymore, though. And I strongly recommend to NOT use it... because you're images could get deleted in the long term. (At least when uploading as a guest, anyway.)[/small]

Mistakes happen... but now you know!
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)