News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Hack Competition (discussion on themes, guidelines, etc.)

Started by Salanewt, 17, February, 2016, 05:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salanewt

Thanks for the pointer! I may just check those out later, although I have to admit I have a different sort of game in mind in terms of starting from scratch; I imagine those would only help for getting a handle on a language. I may mention a couple points on Skype later, but I'm still working out a battle system in my head...

Competition: Giving it some thought, it may not be a good idea to stick with a theme for the first one. It may be a good idea to have it be a sort of free-for-all where you can do whatever you want with it, and then guidelines can bet set up if there are more of these in the future.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

@Zed/videos and stuff: That's like what I did with Superstar Saga back in the day... I don't do it much now, though... And I rarely ever did it for Golden Sun. (But there were one or two videos or so... Remember The Jump Patch?) Although I'd say that Atrius's two video (On Link and the custom map) were more of interest. - Perhaps I should make more videos at some time... but dunno. (I do want to at some point, at least... but the question is will I ever get to it. / Be a high enough priority to get to it. Etc.)

@Game from scratch: Sounds good... We can always practice with getting a few projects up in general... even if not directly about Golden Sun... But then... Do you also remember the Djinni Battle RPG topic? And the RPG things we did at Yoshi' Lighthouse near the start?

free-for-all is good... But then we also need to know what everyone generally wants to do... just in case. (At least I think, anyway.) - Like should it even have hacking at all... and by what limits... or maybe it can even be not restricted to editing the GS game(s) and include other things.  Etc. Pretty much would mean that we should move this topic to another forum, in that case. Creative Works competition?
And with the idea on not being restricted to Golden Sun... Maybe we could be further ahead by starting the competition off-site (or look for one someone else already started) and then bring it here at some point?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

zman9000

QuoteUnity has support for both c# and javascript. Unreal has support for blueprints (visual scripting) and c++.

if you want to get into programming, i do agree that you should start with those. they are super easy to learn and easy enough to understand at a glance. javascript its self is easy enough to learn that even if you are only mildly interested in the subject, that's the one you might want to check out.

When i was learning programming in high school, javascript is the one i did the best with, c++ was up there but javascript was the one that was easiest to learn.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Salanewt

Competition: Exclusively hacking, since doing it that way at least makes it so everyone who participates can be on level playing ground before additional knowledge is factored in. It's a matter of accessibility vs. knowing how to actually code or remembering a language, while at the same time keeping people locked within the limitations of the original game(s).

Everything else: That's cool. Thinking of trying C++ at some point myself.

Scratch/remember older RPGs: Sort of? Not sure.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Luna_blade

Great idea. A real activity booster.

I would participate with the 5 teams idea.

The only thing I'd like to see before it starts is a full map modding tutorial.

About the size: I think it shouldn't be big hacks. Big hacks should have at least a year, or a huge team.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

The only thing I'd like to see before it starts is a full map modding tutorial.
Exactly that! To me... If we stick to the hacking business with Golden Sun... then we're quite likely to need tutorials... (Should add to the motivation, at least.)  But that's just my take.

So I guess we have it.
-Vids/images to encourage motivation (~zman)
-Map tutorials (~luna_blade)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

Hm, makes sense. I guess we could put this off for a few months. Should be able to finish my guide once the workload dies down a bit too.