News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Speedrunner trying to soak up knowledge

Started by Cursedgamer11, 10, July, 2016, 10:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cursedgamer11

Heya guys. I'm planning on trying to get into this game, work on the routing, and probably work on the manipulations and tricks too. I'm kinda stuck at the moment because I don't know the data addresses for the game values. And I have no idea how the RNG increments, or how it is read.....  :sad: I just have a bunch of questions that I hope you guys can answer!  :happy: I hope to hear back from you guys though.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

I remember someone and I were talking about this stuff only 3 years ago... so I'll just grab some of it from that PM I made out to them.
If you have any specific questions, let me know. *Looks back again.* I mean, can't wait to hear what you have...

---
GS1:
02000478 = Random battles counter (0x00100000+ will cause a battle.)
020023A8 = Random number
03001CB4 = Random number

GS2:
02000498 = Random battles counter (0x00100000+ will cause a battle.)
020054C8 = Random number
030011BC = Random number

Effects may use the first random number(020023A8/020054C8)(I think?), but I have supplied both of the known ones in both games just in case.

The second random number (in the 03****** section), will update as you select enemies, but that doesn't occur for the one in the 02 section.

Whenever the random numbers are used, I believe that is when they change.  They get multiplied by 0x41C64E6D then added by 0x3039, and the result is used where needed.

I noticed that in GS2, the "May inflict Death" may not work on 102 Agatio or 105 Karst, so no point in using things like Assassin's Blade on them?

For GS1, the editor says that Assassin's Blade has an unleash rate of 35%, if that helps.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

leaf

Hm, have you tried to get in touch with plexa? He's one of the foremost speedrunners of this game, and could probably help you out.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Cursedgamer11

Quote from: leaf on 13, July, 2016, 01:08:48 PM
Hm, have you tried to get in touch with plexa? He's one of the foremost speedrunners of this game, and could probably help you out.
Yes I have, but I want to do a lot of research on my own. I've already asked him about the game a good amount, so I'd be worried that asking him things like how damage is calculated would be rather annoying.

leaf

[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

@Research: If you are interested in the more in-depth stuff... Then...
-Do you know any assembly code? (Thumb/arm) ; If not, would you be interested in learning? (I use GBATEK for documentation on hardware... ; and SDL-H for debugger... Although no$gba debugger is another option.)

@Damage Calculations: There's one large function... Containing the Ability Type and Ability Effect coding... and the Ability Type is what the damage calculation part is.,.... (Depending on the type may depend on which of three or so functions are called... @3 functions: One is Physical type, another is Elemental (Non-physical) type, and the last is Heal type.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)