News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

In Atrius's editor, how would I also be able to read a given map's tile data?

Started by Triyence, 21, July, 2016, 02:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superjeenius

Quote from: Fox on 04, August, 2016, 01:34:25 AM
I agree about the simpleness of ease it gives....

However, I do have a comp.cs with decompression/compression routines in them. (Thge text compression did not come from Atrius's editor though, it was my own code... that rewrites the char tables for best compression.)

Main point is that gsdatahandler is 35 KB... so it is very small... and if I left anything out, then how hard would the transferal be? Hmm... That, along with whether you need any of those functions anytime soon or not. At least when assuming C++ and C# are pretty similar (but not the same)... (Automatic conversion tool?)  And who knows if I'll consider converting this C# project into a C++ project one day... I kinda thought C# was a little simpler, though... but they are both good processor-fast languages. - Either way, it is imperative that it becomes multi-platform. (Keep putting off looking into Mono.)

Space manager stuff... I left out... I was thinking about having a somewhat different system.... For example... Atrius will repoint individual text sections, while I try to keep everything in order. (Not 100%ly the same order as the game, but that's probably because it'd take a little extra code that I probably didn't feel like putting in at the time. The text compression seems 1:1, though.)

Honestly C++ isn't really my cup of tea, I studied it in college but I've gotten so accustomed to the ease of C# that I haven't really looked back.  I'm not great with the types of algorithms you are using for compression/decompression, so I'll happily leave porting that over to you if you want to, otherwise I'll stick with the DLL for now.  Plenty of other stuff to be working on anyway.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Well... for me, it probably just depends... one of my theories is that you are in full control of everything / C++ doesn't even have automatic garbage collection, for example...  But the thought more or less comes from an idea of wonder if any more speed can be squeezed out in the event something(s) are too slow. (Really doesn't matter as readability is much more important, anyway.) (And usually there are plenty of ways to help speed w/o switching languages... My biggest worry is animating the map... With the right code, it can animate, but not 1:1 with the game unless the map is small enough.... Maybe use DirectX/OpenGL/SoftRasterizer/or something?)
I don't really like the bulkiness of these C languages as much... I wish they were more like Python... (But Python seems like it could be slow...) I really wish that the braces were left out and done the python way, but oh well... (At least I can "pretend" that they're not there... by always putting the start brace om the same line as the conditional.)

Well, text compression is as complicated as it get in the games, I believe... and since that's pretty much dealt with... we only have to mess with the other algorithms... I do have a topic called Compression Formats... but I still need to see what compression sprites use.

And yeah, porting the rest over is the plan. (Depending on what is left that is needed.)

Other stuff being? (After porting the rest of the editors from Atrius's editor.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)