News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Midi and Midi instrument data

Started by Lord Wolfram, 21, March, 2015, 01:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Wolfram

It's been a while everyone. I come here because I seek any help I can get. What I want to do is make Midi system(I will call it like that) in RPG maker XP. That is in my game so it would use it's own instruments. But how does it work in actual Roms and if someone can help then tell me how could I code it in RPG maker XP game? Well? Also this might be helpful with GS engine creating.

Rolina

This may seem like an odd response, but... have you asked people in the RPG maker forums?  I'm sure they've already figured it out and would be pretty helpful to you.

Atrius (He/Him)

This topic has some in depth info on the GBA's music format in a spoiler at the bottom of the first post, and in the second post.

As far as programming something for music in RPG Maker, I can't really help since I don't know enough about it's scripting language.  I have my doubts that it provides low enough level audio stream access to do it properly though.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Luna_blade

So you want to directly take the music from GS and put it in RPG maker? I doubt that's going to work.

Perhaps you can find midi instruments that sound the same as the GS one and use those to create music.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

charon the ferryman

There may be an add on to allow you to use a midi controller with the samples, but some of Golden Sun's instruments are generated by the engine itself, not samples - I had to manually create samples when inserting them into Pokemon Jupiter back in the day, but it didn't sound perfect. These are mainly used for the synth instruments, such as the lead in Isaac's Battle Theme.

It's more probable though that you can't do this dynamically and you'll have to compose them outside of RPG maker. This is probably a better option anyways because you really don't need to have them running on a midi controller.

Lord Wolfram

Quote from: Seto Kaiba on 24, March, 2015, 02:18:39 PM
It's more probable though that you can't do this dynamically and you'll have to compose them outside of RPG maker. This is probably a better option anyways because you really don't need to have them running on a midi controller.
Well Yes. My teammates decided that it's also the best. So yeah we got good Soundfont and we are going to change instruments of midi files and output as mp3.