News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Unusual Hack Ideas

Started by Salanewt, 23, September, 2016, 11:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dive_darkness

Quote from: OpenGoldenSun on 01, October, 2016, 10:57:33 AM
Oh man this is hilarious. You guys are in for a funny surprise in my next video.

Can't wait. That's a low blow to tease us like that :'(

FFTA with a rotating camera system would be a nice view. Also, you could technically use the dungeons' map as a tactical environnement. Something like moving around "freely" on a square based board until you meet a monster, which launch the battle mode. Your movements are then limited until you beat all monsters or escape from their sight long enough.

OpenGoldenSun

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Congrats! :medal: - Similar to what I was thinking.
The Character box does look a tiny bit big/cluttered, and I question if we would really need some of those things there? All of which could go in a status menu.
-Portrait (It's cool for cosmetic appeal maybe, but I find it somewhat hard to decide...)
-Experience
-Adept type (Could just be the element symbol.  :VenusStar: :MercuryStar: :MarsStar: :JupiterStar:)

I can see that being used in the normal RPG game. (Maybe even funner than Colossus/Trial Roads with some of the ideas I could come up with???)  Puzzles, puzzles, puzzles. :D With a tactical reference.

Even with just the elements (and psynergy) alone, plenty can be done, so... Hmm.. heheheh.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

dive_darkness

OpenGoldensun: you know... YOU'RE DA BOSS !!! Did you create a full tactical engine section in your engine ? And did you use another tactical rpg as a baseline to design it ?

Fox: it's pretty common in tactical RPGs to have the character's portrait in their status screen. That allows you to recognize them more easily.
Exp: always show in tactical RPGs. It allows you to see which character needs the most exp (as in those kind of games, exp isn't shared among the team).
The adept type could be just an elemental star, yup, which would save some space to put something else (like exp to next level)

As one idea, to reference the RPG games themselves, I did think about what if it was just Name, HP, and PP.... (Name overlapping top border. <= You might can still do that either way. Since it is almost like a Group Box control...  Has the advantage of allowing for longer names, and not really getting in the way of anything.)

@1: I know.. But as for displaying here, they're not always 32x32+ sized images on a bulky panel, are they...?
@2: Which wasn't really sure how useful it was, though? (Not saying to remove it exactly, but to consider if it is actually needed there.) Level is a good indicator on which ones need training... Exp to next level could be useful, though. - FFTA did pretty well with making EXP go from 0-100 (If I remember correctly.), right? However, on second thought... given how much space I see there in the image above... it looks like there is only enough room to do the same, so... maybe I'm just messing around.
@3: :)

This looks clean, right?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

dive_darkness

FFT and FFTA does a real good job as far as all controls go, yeah.

I think the only reason why you have that feeling that it's "clogged up" is because all those infos are in one of those blue dialogue box. If you remove the box, it already feels much better and lighter. Also, the text in golden sun is, compared to the text in FFTA, bigger, and takes more place.

@1: Yep!

@2: India? Not sure I follow that part. (Probably the English? - all those [games in] India, maybe?) - And yeah... Although, it just felt like it could be shrunk a little, for some weird reason. (I did say [tiny] bit big, anyway.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Salanewt

Probably autocorrect for "info" lol.

Nice work with that tactics thing!
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

dive_darkness

Yeah, sorry for the autocorrect.

Rolina

Quote from: OpenGoldenSun on 02, October, 2016, 11:22:14 AM

Saw this on reddit.  Of course you're the one who did it. XD

How's OGS coming along, by the way?

Atrius (He/Him)

Nice, that's your custom engine right?  I feel like I'd have to slap someone if they went trough the trouble of hacking a Golden Sun or TLA ROM to add that functionality.

Eh, who am I kidding...  It IS more impressive if you managed to hack it into an official ROM, but you've got the skills to and might as well make your own engine at that point.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

MaxiPower

Awsome, reminds me of shining force, camelots previous game, loved the first one well the remake on gba,

Yep. It's beautiful. Four different people have done/are doing big things with GS (Whether documentation-wise, patch-wise, or other project),... Atrius (Did the first editor/still provides random help),  Me (Main author of documentation), Salanewt (A number of patches/some docing), and OpenGS (His "to be open-sourced" project.)... but we still need more people.

@Hacking in/out stuff. = I'm currently experimenting with my plan to not only do my documentation... but to use devkitadvance stuff to sort of "rebuild" the game as well. (Still for GBA, though... but curious if it could potentially replace my documentation altogether.) - Call it a fun little experiment, and I probably labeled things incorrectly, etc.

Very early stage, though, and I'm planning to have a system the could take data out of the ROM to convert it into a format that works. (That way, you can still keep edited Items/ Abilities, etc. you've made in the editor.)

[spoiler]#define RGB16(r,g,b)  ((r)+(g<<5)+(b<<10))
register int *r4 asm ("r4"); //One register for manual-use only. Usually used for addresses.
int main()
{
   char x,y; 
   unsigned short* Screen = (unsigned short*)0x6000000;
   *(unsigned long*)0x4000000 = 0x403; // mode3, bg2 on

// clear screen, and draw a blue back ground
   for(x = 0; x<240;x++)   //loop through all x
   {
      for(y = 0; y<160; y++)  //loop through all y
      {
         Screen[x+y*240] = RGB16(0,0,31); 
      }
   }

// draw a white HI on the background
   for(x = 20; x<=60; x+=15)
      for(y = 30; y<50; y++) 
         Screen[x+y*240] = RGB16(31,31,31); 
   for (x = 20; x < 35; x++)
      Screen[x+40*240] = RGB16(31,31,31); 

while(1){}   //loop forever
}

//PARTY MECHANICS!
//NOTE:  Many of these function/variable names may be WIP, so suggestions recommended.
//Public functions should be left alone since they're supposed to be 8 bytes/entry after compiled.
//These functions do mov pc, r4 instead of bx r4... but both do the same things.
int pub() {
   r4=(int*)main; goto *r4;
}
void init() { //080AD338
   initParty();
   pub_bootMap(0);
}
int getAvailableSummonsAddr(int team) {
   if (team == 0) {
      return 0x0200024C;
   } else {
      return pub_getCharAddr(0x83);
   }
}
//WIP stuff:
initParty() {

}
//Call out functions... (Should be okay to modify.)
int pub_getCharAddr(int charSlot) { //type is only for debug mode.
   r4=(int*)0x08016CA5; goto *r4;
}
int pub_bootMap(int type) { //type is only for debug mode.
   r4=(int*)0x080C8009; goto *r4;
}
[/spoiler] Quick little sample... The "r4" part is done to treat it as a global variable that can only be manually altered... From my experience with this game, it seems like that's the closes thing I can find to match GS in that area. (It keeps r4 from getting pushed/popped in all functions, at least.)
Second is the thing that display Hello on the screen, that is unrelated to the project. Third, the ending shows how I am going to do public functions, etc. (Main will be corrected to the right function later.) (It seems the public functions at the end, in this case, get grouped with the first section of public functions.... Out-going functions aren't listed in the real game, but I'm doing it here for a couple reasons. (It probably won't stay in the end, though.) - But mostly, I'm thinking one Mechanics section could be worked on/tested individually by reinserting into original ROM, if one felt like it.)

And also planning to make a bunch of defines for absolute and relative addresses, but thought I could wait a short bit before doing that.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Rolina

No mention of the Mk2 system I've been developing?  That's unfortunate.

Probably because I'm not that familiar with that project yet... And/or whether it is considered "big".. etc.
Would "Mk" stand for the first and last character of Mark?
But yeah, any progress on GS at all is definitely worth a mention!
(*Sees Users Online list* And to Plexa for their Speed-running stuff, etc.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Rolina

Aye, the Golden Sun Mark2 Battle System, AKA that thing in my signature.  That's the alpha 0.4 iteration of the character creation tools, and so far 0.5 has come along really well.  Those who hang out with me over in Sunrise help me test it from time to time, along with Caledor.

Basically, the Mk2 system aims to fix things I thought needed improvement in GS' battle system.  I've... had to make some rather interesting changes too, such as changing how the djinn system works (needed a reason to keep the limit at 9 while also allowing the player to have options in regards to djinn).