News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Disabling the in game music - possible?

Started by Formina, 08, June, 2014, 11:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Formina

Hello!

I'm trying to record some sound effects from the Golden Sun using VBA, but the problem is the darn music keeps playing and if I disable the sound channels that play the music, several sound effects also get muted. Has anyone ripped the sound effects or does anyone know of a way to edit the music (to mute it) or point me in the right direction?

Thanks ^^

Salanewt

You could extract them as .mid files, but those don't use the same sound fonts that GS uses.

Getting back to your question... I can't say I know of a super quick way to disable sound, but I know of at least one simple way to end the background music. If you can get into a battle in one of the debug rooms (such as by using Cyclone on the grass in YAMTEST1), then the music that was playing when you entered the room will end. After that, you can pretty much play any sound effect you want.

Oh, one more tiny thing. I'm not 100% sure if you'll want to do it, but if you go to 080DD8B8 in VBA's memory viewer and edit the byte that says "x83" in the memory viewer part of VBA, you can play any sound effect from 0-255 just by using Reveal (keeping in mind that some of them will be songs and others may be empty). You can double that up by going to 080DD976 and changing the "xA7" there as well, which is the sound effect that plays when you exit the Reveal zone.

Hope this helps!
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Formina

Thank you!!! I tried the second method you suggested and it worked perfectly. :) Changing the sound effect to x00 disabled the music and then I could play and record the other sound effects perfectly.

x00 to about x5D appears to be the music, and everything from x64 onwards are sound effects. ^^

Salanewt

Oh, oops, I forgot you could do that! Happy to help, but I feel like doing a little more...

You know the whole "going to 080DD976 and changing the "xA7"" part? If you go to 080DD972 and change the first six bytes from that position (in 16-bit mode) to "x20##, x30##, x30##" (making sure the last ## replaces the "xA7" byte) and play around with the ##s, you should be able to play any sound effect from 0-765. Which appears to be all of them. I think.

Sound effects 256-287 appears to be NPC voices, and there are a bunch more as far as I can tell. You can start getting certain themes like Imil (x02D6/726) and the Karagol Ship theme (x02E5/741) if you go high enough.

Hope this helps again!

Edit: You might be able to do something similar at the other location, but there's a good chance that replacing the BL instruction will make Reveal itself all screwy. My memory is a bit fuzzy on what it does though.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Triyence

Quote from: Lord Squirtle on 09, June, 2014, 08:36:12 AMSound effects 256-287 appears to be NPC voices, and there are a bunch more as far as I can tell.

I was going through these, I can confirm that 256 (0x2000 0x3001 0x30FF) - 287 (0x2000 0x3020 0x30FF) are voices. They seem to be really short NPC voices though. Do you know where the longer ones are stored? Used in longer dialogs.

Salanewt

I'm pretty sure the game selects a couple of those effects per character/voice, either assigning them to particular letters and symbols or scrambling them, and plays them until a given line of dialogue is finished.

Triyence

I've attached all the voices to this post.

@Lord Squirtle, any idea what voice numbers can be grouped together when it selects them?

Nevermind, the groupings are this (each consecutive set of 4):

256-259
260-263
264-267
268-271
272-275
276-279
280-283
284-287