Golden Sun Hacking Community
June 24, 2017, 06:53:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parallel Weyard  (Read 1153 times)

Novice Member

Coins: 1

« on: October 21, 2016, 02:56:24 PM »

Hello
I have been thinking about if there are parallel Weyards and what they would look like.  I also thought about how they would be different to the original 3 games. 

I had some thought about one world.  It is set on the normal game just that Isaac has rescued by Saturos and Menardi instead of Felix.  Vale was another Tolbi and hosted games that only adepts could play and biult ships only adepts could use.  In other words they were Lemuria, Vale and Tolbi combined.  However when the Mt Alpeh boulder fell it destroyed most of the country leaving only a few refugees.  Saturos and Menardi rescued Isaac, but could not save anyone else.  Isaac felt that he should light the lighthouse because of Saturos and Menardi.  The three of them found Ivan and Mia and set of to light the lighthouse.  Then after all 4 lighthouses were lit Isaac moved into Venus lighthouse after clearing the lighthouses of monsters.  He settled down with the left over refugees of Vale.

I hope you enjoyed it.  Does anyone have any ideas about other parallel Weyards?  If so post them.

Batman protected Tolbi from the Eclipse.  He has his own element title, The Dark Knight.
View Profile
Seto Kaiba
the blind-oriented developer
Jupiter Clan

Coins: 2

I am: owner of kaiba corp

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 05:19:32 PM »

I dunno about that story (it might be hard to implement into a game, although it's interesting to play from essentially "captured felix's" perspective), but it would be cool if there were "parallel weyards" in the sense of alternative endings. Like, what you do has a change on the ending of stuff. Perhaps Saturos and Menardi survive and are able to keep Felix, Sheba and Jenna under their control. That would be really interesting I think, although explaining how they survive would be difficult.

Wish the games were just in one game, it'd be a lot easier to do; Fox, do your magic!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 05:33:15 PM by Seto Kaiba » Logged

View Profile WWW
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

Coins: 32

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.
Emblems: Have a nice day.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 05:33:58 PM »

Unless Isaac and co. fail or even die. Kind of like how the alternate timelines for Zelda supposedly came about with Link and Ganondorf. Piers can even be roped into joining you if the timeline keeps Alex the same as he already is, even though they wouldn't need him so much as they would need his ship.

And the Wise One is a Mary Sue!

Hey there! I see you over there, looking at me... Wanna come over for a Milk Drink? ;)
Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.
Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
dive_darkness
Full of ideas, and prone to help if you don't need it.

Coins: 0

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 06:45:02 PM »

thebatwarrior: Saturos and menhardi as the good guys ? that could be a nice one actually. And Felix would be a bad guy in your story ? or does he die, and the only one you should be wary of is alex ?

Seto kaiba: Alex actually going to help them so they survive instead of going to the ship, then you have to go look for jenna and find her before Isaac's team. that could work no ?

My parallel weyard is the one where the choices you make actually has repercussions on your characters. Like if you always say that you don't care about the world and such, garet ends up being your enemy for exemple.

"I was sitting in the library when my stomach suddenly decided to demonstrate a whale's mating sound."
View Profile
Seto Kaiba
Jupiter Clan

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 07:42:34 PM »

Arguably Saturos and Menardi were good guys in the original, but it would be really interesting to see things from Felix's (or someone in his role, such as in Batman's post) perspective. It always bothered me how shrouded in mystery their misadventures were. If explored it would be interesting to see them convert Felix/Jenna towards their cause, which would add some substantial conflict between Isaac and Felix (which pretty much is nonexistent in the original titles). Honestly, not even a parallel Weyard and a more thematically grey and neutral one would be really engaging imho. I guess that counts as a "parallel" though lol

dive_darkness - I suppose that works, although I thought that the whole Fusion Dragon thing basically made them so weak that it doesn't matter? That's more what I was getting at. But if Alex had hardcore healing powers it might be possible.

View Profile WWW
dive_darkness

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 08:01:30 PM »

that's what i meant. Alex does heal saturos pretty quickly in mercury lighthouse.

"I was sitting in the library when my stomach suddenly decided to demonstrate a whale's mating sound."
View Profile
Luna_blade
The last member of the Luna clan
Luna Clan

Great Member

I am: Timeless. As in, i don't have much free time.

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 06:21:19 AM »

My parellel weyard would be....
Where Isaac and Co. can remove the obstructions Saturos & Menardi created and go straight to Venus Lighthouse (no Collosso) and wait until Saturos and Menardi arrive by grinding Thunder Lizards.
Saturos and Menardi are defeated without lighting the LH.
But then you get to play as Kraden for the rest of the game lighting the LH.

@different endings: that would be great.

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 9

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 07:23:04 AM »

My parallel world has more racial diversity.  No no no, not the real world meaning.  And I don't mean the tolkienesque nonsense either (I'm sick of elves and dwarves).  We have Humans, Beastmen, and Drakes (proxians) already, but it's mostly just "humans with two towns of not human", which is kind of boring for high fantasy.  I think a greater integration of GS' races, as well as maybe adding 2-3 more, would have made for a more fun and interesting world.

View Profile WWW
dive_darkness

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 04:12:28 PM »

Rolina: there's the fishmen you encounter as enemies that could be implemented in a fan-made game. I mean, they're already there, underwater, just not used in the story.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 04:28:42 PM by dive_darkness » Logged

View Profile
Luna_blade
The last member of the Luna clan
Luna Clan

Great Member

I am: Timeless. As in, i don't have much free time.

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 04:29:43 PM »

My parallel world has more racial diversity.  No no no, not the real world meaning.  And I don't mean the tolkienesque nonsense either (I'm sick of elves and dwarves).  We have Humans, Beastmen, and Drakes (proxians) already, but it's mostly just "humans with two towns of not human", which is kind of boring for high fantasy.  I think a greater integration of GS' races, as well as maybe adding 2-3 more, would have made for a more fun and interesting world.
If this was a poll, this is were my vote would go to.

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

Coins: 32

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.
Emblems: Have a nice day.

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 04:28:17 AM »

I would go for more cultural diversity and originality in the games' storytelling. As it stands you mostly have generic fantasy versions of European and Asian towns, as well as a number of other recognizable and even a couple borderline racist ones that are loosely based on other real world cultures. There's also the cave issue, where an overwhelming majority of towns and dungeons are either in caves or have cave segments. And then you also have a large number of poorly implemented cultural and mythological allusions, some of which just scream "failed anime characters" to me as someone who doesn't really watch it.

My parallel Weyard would actually give regions their own distinct cultural heritages that are distinct from real cultures, and then things like summons would either be designed entirely off of real-world legends or not at all. Town aesthetics and NPC designs would reflect this change too.

Oh, and I would scrap the "psynergy is mysterious and not known by everyone" thing because it really isn't. There are random NPCs who know what djinn are or at least are used to living with them, even when they aren't adepts or have very limited control over psynergy. One of these NPCs even tells you that you should find and recruit them when you find the second djinni in the entire series. Basically, what if Weyard were a land where knowledge of monsters and magic is widely known but not mastered? Many communities would be a bit reclusive and largely disconnected, yet largely hospitable, while still allowing for trade and other connections between more successful towns/regions. In other words, what is done now but actually done well.

And the Wise One is a Mary Sue!

Hey there! I see you over there, looking at me... Wanna come over for a Milk Drink? ;)
Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.
Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 25

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 02:03:39 PM »

@OP: So would Vale be near the shore? (Maybe the world map is redone.)

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 10:46:34 PM »

Rolina: there's the fishmen you encounter as enemies that could be implemented in a fan-made game. I mean, they're already there, underwater, just not used in the story.
I could see Goblins being roped in with Seele and Unseele beings as a Fae race, and could see the Sirens and similar demon beings being the Fell race as well.  Heck, only reason I've not implemented them into my system is because of how much I'm already deviating from what GS does.

Though, having the Fell would make it a lot easier to explain what the hell Chalis' race is.

View Profile WWW
Seto Kaiba
Jupiter Clan

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 02:04:25 PM »

I generally find it odd that people try to approach realistic racial diversity in fantasy environments. Kind of takes away from the fantasy element from it. Sure, have a bunch of different people with different cultures and all that, but try to keep it away from real races as much as possible, since the story will constantly be compared to the real life counterparts (this is one of the main gripes I have with a lot of high fantasy tales).

Instead, take the Star Trek approach - have a singular human race with a lot of diversity but it's competing with other species that function on a similar sentience level, and build the tensions around there. You can keep the unique identity of the individual humans but acknowledge that they're essentially part of a larger unit. We can still have the diversity of the people as well, but focus on their diversity in a way that makes sense for Weyard, not Earth. For example, instead of having "native" races, focus more on races like the people of Garoh, who are directly influenced by fantasy elements (Air's Rock).

So for example, you could have the people of Garoh struggling to try to integrate because of their werewolf-ness, however, at the same time there are races that are more monster-like (maybe the Proxians for example?) who are still written like interesting human characters but have many important cultural and species-based differences that give rise to the conflict. So in that case if a war between people and Proxians broke out, you may have some incentive to stop oppressing the wolf-people and attempt to integrate them. Build the conflict between these three groups. Hell, this might make the interbreeding plotline so common in these high fantasy stories actually interesting for once lol.

Proxians and Humans after all have very different anatomy and may require different things for different reasons. They both have reasons to look down on the others and thus conflict can build that way pretty easily. However, since they can unify with psynergy and sentience there may be individuals who cross between the sides, or even join together as a peaceful third party. There's really a ton that you could do with this.

Screw it, just have Golden Sun Starship Enterprise. I'm not even a star trek fan, but why not.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 02:10:46 PM by Seto Kaiba » Logged

View Profile WWW
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 11:42:33 PM »

snip for size
"Real World Racial Diversity" I straight up call Ethnic diversity instead, in order to separate the two apart.  "Ethnic diversity" makes more sense if they're done like they are in real life - where you find different ethnicity in different regions of the world.  Golden Sun did this well.  Bonus points if the cultures are different rather than stereotypes, since it gives the fantasy world its own unique feel rather than just a simple copy-paste job.  Racial diversity, however, makes a lot more sense to be more integrated than ethnic diversity.  Fantasy races can give variety to cities, and can even help in form the world.  For example, if you don't find many Beastmen in hot climates, but they're more common than other races in cold climates, it informs that they can handle colder temperatures better, but aren't as able to take the heat as well.  That's pretty cool and subtle world building.  What we got was like, one town for Drakes (prox), and two for beastmen (Garoh and Morgall).  It's kinda disappointing, you know?  If they were more interwoven into the world, and if we had more to work with, I think I'd find the GS world far more fascinating.

For example, what if Sheba had been a beastman, and Piers a merdude?  It'd be cool to not have a party full of boring vanilla humans, you know?

View Profile WWW
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Yesterday at 02:25:42 PM
Seto Kaiba: you know I miss how SMF is almost dead now because having 1pt text to hide my true feels was perhaps the best part of web 2.0
Yesterday at 04:19:13 AM
Fox: Alright. Sounds good.  I agree it does seem a bit silly.  Sounds more of an April Fools type of thing. (Maybe having an ability for people to change their names limitless times specifically on April Fools is an idea.)
Yesterday at 04:09:25 AM
Kain: Sala asked me about the name, I thought it was silly but agreed he could have it only for a week.  Tomorrow his name goes back to Salanewt.
Yesterday at 03:29:10 AM
Fox: And yay! Atrius is back! Thanks for the reply. Somehow I didn't notice the recuriveness before.
Yesterday at 03:25:29 AM
Fox: @ridiculous name for a week =  Hm? So, how many characters would you say should be the maximum to have a name "permanently"... or better yet... How many characters can a name have on registration?
Yesterday at 01:00:50 AM
Atrius: @Javi3, Lo siento, ya no tengo tiempo.
June 22, 2017, 08:57:37 PM
Fox: @conundrum = Think about 8/16/32 bit aligned address, and what that means... Etc.
June 22, 2017, 08:55:23 PM
Fox: @Space manager thought for gsmagic = What a conundrum... Whelp... I'll just do whatever.... Probably would waste more time thinking about preventing bugs than coding anyway. :P
June 21, 2017, 09:30:34 AM
Fox: Because he quit a long time ago and has other priorities?
June 21, 2017, 08:35:54 AM
javi3: Atrius, por que no sigues con el editor de golden sun?
June 20, 2017, 10:52:48 AM
Fox: It feels like the safest bet is to do Atrius's repointering system, and have something that organizes the tables done a bit separate... er... Well, it's something to think about.
June 20, 2017, 08:53:41 AM
Fox: HOWEVER... I can see other problems that might cause..... (Even with just the pointer in the MFT)  Meh. It's like you actually need a program to apply patches to do it appropriately.
June 20, 2017, 08:46:38 AM
Fox: ... So... What am I thinking? You ask? That the patches the point data after MFT, should have had pointers in the MFT themselves.... In that case, I can see a possibility of everything working smoothly even if space is needed to the very end of the ROM.
June 20, 2017, 08:37:22 AM
Fox: It's basically that everthink from the point of  editing, to the closest free space to the last entry's address would get repointed forward/backwards depending on space needed... and if space is mapped after patches are added, then that could mean the patches are also repointed. (:o)
June 20, 2017, 08:29:03 AM
Fox: Well, I mean if I map the space out the same way Atrius did it.
June 20, 2017, 08:26:41 AM
Fox: I have a hunch... when I add Map Palette editing the way I'm thinking about... it will cause all patches that repoint to after the MFT to break.... Especially if Atrius's editor wasn't used beforehand. Etc.
June 20, 2017, 07:27:17 AM
Fox: Hmmm... Let's see... regardless of method, I think I still do want to take some of Atrius's Space Manager code... Hmm.....
June 20, 2017, 07:07:27 AM
Fox: say*
June 20, 2017, 07:07:19 AM
Fox: I'd go so far as to see.. even if you are trying to be accurate, there could still be inaccuracies... However, that one was just an example where it was clearly intentional.
June 20, 2017, 07:04:03 AM
Fox: Like*

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise