Golden Sun Hacking Community
June 22, 2017, 06:38:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parallel Weyard  (Read 1147 times)

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

Coins: 32

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.
Emblems: Have a nice day.

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 01:16:44 AM »

My main issue with video game races is when they are used as a substitute for developing actual lore and culture, but I can also see them complementing cultural variety well enough provided it's not overdone and too analogous to real world dynamics that it detracts from whatever fantasy setting the game is trying to establish.

This makes me think we should have a discussion topic on diversity in video games, but that also seems to be a contentious issue these days. :/

And the Wise One is a Mary Sue!

Hey there! I see you over there, looking at me... Wanna come over for a Milk Drink? ;)
Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.
Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 9

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2016, 01:25:03 AM »

I think races should be separate from cultures - basically, cultures should be based on nation and region, not race.  Also sick to death of Tolkien races, so new races like what GS provides are a welcome change. :3

I don't think this qualifies as a diversity in games argument - that seems to exist for a real world social reason.  This is completely different.

View Profile WWW

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 01:38:48 AM »

I do too in all honesty, even if some in-game cultures may be dominated by certain in-game races as you describe them (e.g. Prox compared to most other towns). I don't mind Tolkien races that much but I could see them working as subgroups or hybrids or other groups; GS2 did have dwarves after all, and elves were planned at one point even though I'm not sure where they would have gone. Such things could even be treated as normal human variation (e.g. humans on one continent develop longer ears but are otherwise human). I mean I still mostly agree with Seto, but I can also see this kind of thing working well enough.

And that's true, although depending on how one writes their game there can definitely be some overlap.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:40:33 AM by Lord Squirtle » Logged

Hey there! I see you over there, looking at me... Wanna come over for a Milk Drink? ;)
Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 01:51:18 AM »

Either way, there's a reason I lump all the tolkein races into the same category.  Human, Elf, Dorf, all fall under the category of Mankind.  I'm just... sooo tired of them.  Can totally see not saying no to them, but that's what subraces are for anyways, like we saw in Beastmen in DD.

View Profile WWW
Seto Kaiba
the blind-oriented developer
Jupiter Clan

Coins: 2

I am: owner of kaiba corp

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2016, 05:40:27 PM »

I, for one, demand more bird people. lol

I think it would also be interesting to have people who were clearly oppressed/used as experimental fodder for things like the Lemurians. Redact the eternal water crap and turn it into technology and you could have a race that's the product of heavy experimentation for immortality. That would be sweet.

I've always had a soft spot for a race that's blind or sensory-deprived in some other way, and have the whole infrastructure built around that. For example, a city of people born blind who function otherwise sufficiently but they live deep in caves or some other low-light conditions that make it difficult for the average Weyardian to find them. Have a bunch of mysticism built around them by other races who know nothing else outside of their existence, about how extremely powerful they are, but have them at most be average adepts who use their psynergy to raise crops or something.

Speaking of Psynergy, it is disappointing how few races in the first two games could actually use it. I know that it's supposed to be only relegated to very specific groups of people, but come on we had like... what, 4 races? And the Anemos are borderline extinct, so it's not like you get to meet them. Outside of those races are people who embraced the "science" or "spirituality" or whatever behind psynergy and learned about it's power separately instead of having the inherent ability.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 05:44:28 PM by Seto Kaiba » Logged

View Profile WWW

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 11:07:09 PM »

I think it would also be interesting to have people who were clearly oppressed/used as experimental fodder for things like the Lemurians. Redact the eternal water crap and turn it into technology and you could have a race that's the product of heavy experimentation for immortality. That would be sweet.

I can think of a really easy way for that to work with what's already established too; the water exists but some Lemurians want to create a new, easier to use and move technology that either fills the role or does it better. Better test it on other people!

So like, mole people? That would be pretty cool.

Speaking of Psynergy, it is disappointing how few races in the first two games could actually use it.

I'm still under the impression that all it takes is to hit someone with a psy stone, seeing as there are at least three examples of that happening across the first two games as well as the background lore explaining how monsters came to be. It is unclear if bashing something's brains in with a rock grants them magic or just unlocks latent ability, but a case could be made for either one.

Regardless, it is weird how few towns made use of it in some way and the ones that did were either incredibly relevant to the core plot and subplots (e.g. Prox, Lemuria) or had single individuals with few other adepts (Kibombo, Champa), and the only reason I can think of for this is so they could write psynergy as being some mysterious force that is roughly comparable to doing parlour tricks. How else can one explain "do chi from the line" twice in the same cutscene?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 11:13:31 PM by Lord Squirtle » Logged

View Profile WWW
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2016, 02:32:53 PM »

@Kaiba:  Arguably, it's only three. :(  It's kind of why I wish we had more to work with.  The Dwarves could easily be argued to be a subset of human, after all - they aren't too different, after all.  With Elves being dummied out, that kind of minimizes any tolkien races in the world.  Both the Beastmen and Drakes have more prominence, and are different enough to be obviously of different races.  Kinda makes you wish they'd have shoehorned the elves in anyways, so we could have an argument for at least 5. :/

Meanwhile, if we'd have had the Human, Drake, Beastman, Fell, Fey, Mer, and we'll say Avies races, it'd have been a more interesting world to interact with.  That's a solid 7 races right there, each with potential for subraces (maybe some drakes become Wyverns instead of Dragons, maybe some become Wyrms or Serpentine dragons.  Each could be its own subrace).  That adds a hell of a lot to the world, and if they're woven in better so that they're not mono-racial societies, I feel that there could be so much more we could experience in the world.  Maybe each race has its own version of beastform.  Humans could channel the power of class changing items that give them a similar advanced form.  Drakes could use the djinn to become dragons without going mad/exhausting their life energy similar to beastmen.  The Fey could tap into the fundamental forces - Seelee with Solar, Unseelie with Lunar, and Goblinkind with Stellar.  Avies could go for a whole Angel Motif, while the Fell go for the devil Motif.  It opens up a lot of options not only for what we could face, but for what we could do as well.  Imagine if Karis was a drake in Dark Dawn, and could take on a Wyvernform?  What if Himi was one of the Fell race, and could unleash her inner Youkai?  We'd avoid Matt and Sveta being the singular powerhouses they are, and spread the cool stuff across the party.  Hell, Matt could be a powerhouse for more than just "only guy who can use the Sol Blade" at that.

View Profile WWW

Novice Member

Coins: 1

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2016, 09:00:40 PM »

Thanks to all the people that replied to this post.  I love the idea of more species in the world

Batman protected Tolbi from the Eclipse.  He has his own element title, The Dark Knight.
View Profile
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Yesterday at 09:30:34 AM
Fox: Because he quit a long time ago and has other priorities?
Yesterday at 08:35:54 AM
javi3: Atrius, por que no sigues con el editor de golden sun?
June 20, 2017, 10:52:48 AM
Fox: It feels like the safest bet is to do Atrius's repointering system, and have something that organizes the tables done a bit separate... er... Well, it's something to think about.
June 20, 2017, 08:53:41 AM
Fox: HOWEVER... I can see other problems that might cause..... (Even with just the pointer in the MFT)  Meh. It's like you actually need a program to apply patches to do it appropriately.
June 20, 2017, 08:46:38 AM
Fox: ... So... What am I thinking? You ask? That the patches the point data after MFT, should have had pointers in the MFT themselves.... In that case, I can see a possibility of everything working smoothly even if space is needed to the very end of the ROM.
June 20, 2017, 08:37:22 AM
Fox: It's basically that everthink from the point of  editing, to the closest free space to the last entry's address would get repointed forward/backwards depending on space needed... and if space is mapped after patches are added, then that could mean the patches are also repointed. (:o)
June 20, 2017, 08:29:03 AM
Fox: Well, I mean if I map the space out the same way Atrius did it.
June 20, 2017, 08:26:41 AM
Fox: I have a hunch... when I add Map Palette editing the way I'm thinking about... it will cause all patches that repoint to after the MFT to break.... Especially if Atrius's editor wasn't used beforehand. Etc.
June 20, 2017, 07:27:17 AM
Fox: Hmmm... Let's see... regardless of method, I think I still do want to take some of Atrius's Space Manager code... Hmm.....
June 20, 2017, 07:07:27 AM
Fox: say*
June 20, 2017, 07:07:19 AM
Fox: I'd go so far as to see.. even if you are trying to be accurate, there could still be inaccuracies... However, that one was just an example where it was clearly intentional.
June 20, 2017, 07:04:03 AM
Fox: Like*
June 20, 2017, 07:03:55 AM
Fox: Let that one time where they tried to clip a guy out... To put it as short and vague as possible.
June 20, 2017, 06:58:52 AM
Fox: But in case you do watch it... I do know the story on TV that they tell... is not always accurate to what actually happened... (From what one can find out from the feed.) ... but usually the fansites will let you know about that.
June 20, 2017, 06:37:54 AM
Fox: Depends, as each person may have a different opinion... (I'm thinking you might find it like other "reality" shows..)  ... I'm not really into Survivor at current.... I also question if it was something about Julie Chen that made it a little more interesting.... .being the an iconic host that she is.. Weird.
June 19, 2017, 11:57:31 PM
Dendrophiliafish_the_skull_licker_xxXXDx101XyeahbabyyeahxxXX: Honest opinion but is it any good or is it just like all other "reality" television?
June 19, 2017, 11:57:00 PM
Dendrophiliafish_the_skull_licker_xxXXDx101XyeahbabyyeahxxXX: I have a friend who is obsessed with that show and Survivor and he wants me to watch with him.
June 19, 2017, 07:47:18 PM
Fox: So.. as soon as I saw the cast of BB19, I wanted to try to pick my favs on first impression... And I'm curious about these: Elena Davies (Female pick, maybe.) and Kevin Schlehuber (Male pick, maybe. - He's the oldest.) ... whether they even get close to the end or not... I have no idea. Would have to watch them play the game.
June 19, 2017, 05:46:42 PM
Dendrophiliafish_the_skull_licker_xxXXDx101XyeahbabyyeahxxXX: Lol, well I had Squirtle for a while but I'm usually better known for Yoshi. I hope! :o
June 19, 2017, 02:22:49 PM
Lord Wolfram: Oh with that turtle avarat, yep remember

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise