News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Cringeworthy "News" Article Dump

Started by charon the ferryman, 21, October, 2016, 03:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charon the ferryman

Post all cringe inducing articles that you find on the internet here to share our mutual loathing for the state of journalism today.

Protip: Yahoo, Fox News, Washington Post, Huffington Post, and clickbait articles are great sources, but make sure that everything you're linking is not going to screw us over with ad piling.

I feel like I was the victim': Former high school teacher blames student for seducing her

In this article we learn that we should feel bad for a 23 year old woman who broke conduct by twiddling with a 17 year old student. We're supposed to feel bad because an adult can't learn how to break out of a relationship with someone who is legally still a child. We should also feel bad for this person despite their obvious exploitation and inability to take a sliver of responsibility for clearly breaking the law because they have feelings too. Apparently forgotten here is the fact that even if the child was of legal age she would still be fired for misconduct because typically having romantic relationships with the people you're supposed to be teaching is not a good learning environment, and somewhat unprofessional. But we should feel bad because this poor, innocent woman who clearly did nothing wrong and was being manipulated by a teenager can't control her vagina.

Also, note how comments are disabled, presumably to stop all of the sane people from shouting "WHAT THE @#$% IS WRONG WITH YOU YOU PIECE OF @#$%" in the comments en masse.

Golden Sun Icon Rating:  :irate:

Investigator claims 'UFO wreckage' is evidence aliens visited the Earth 250,000 years ago

If that title wasn't cringeworthy enough, the fact that it's on the "science" part of the website should scare you even more. However, we do give extra points to Fox News for acknowledging that the world is older than 6,000 years old. This is probably because the story is gleaned from The Sun.

So this is typical woo woo trash being reported as "science", since the video shows its literally just some random dude who found some piece of metal claiming all these things. Wow, great research guys. Apparently it has never occured to UFOlogists that something like this could easily be dropped into a digging site. But no, we're supposed to trust the word on something that was kept behind closed doors for at least 20 years because UFOs amirite?

Golden Sun Icon Rating:  :?:

Reclaiming Pepe: Can the cartoon frog return to its peaceful roots?

...need I say more?

Golden Sun Icon Rating: :um:

Rolina

Eh, they seem like tame levels of crazy to me... Well, they do after what my papa did at least.

Apparently, my papa believes the earth is flat.  He actually tried to show me and "evidence" video.

charon the ferryman

It's not really crazy so much as pandering to the politically correct demographic. I made this thread after noticing a sharp decline in the quality of yahoo's articles. A few years ago they were pretty average but now it reads like pandering material to STRONK WOMYNS

Although, if you have some time to kill, watch Martymer81's Spirit Science debunkings. A physics teacher who does a humerous and well constructed job at deconstructing all the things wrong with that. Skepdic is also a good source.

But yeah, this thread was oriented more towards "politically correct" content. Think stuff that tumblr kids would eat up. Maybe that's why Yahoo's quality has gone through the grinder?

Salanewt

Yahoo articles have been pretty mediocre or even bad for years and the comments have always been even worse than that. If I had to make an educated guess, your Yahoo/Tumblr observation could have to do with the fact that Yahoo owns Tumblr and isn't quite sure how to take advantage of that property so they pander to it with other Yahoo stuff. Maybe.

As for that first article, I don't necessarily think that the age thing is an issue (it really depends on when consent should actually be recognized as consent, which should probably be no younger than 16), but the teacher's position of authority over the student is for a number of reasons.

Question: Do articles from biased sources or with obviously loaded titles count for this? Or editorials and opinion pieces? Because if so then here's a guy who seems to regularly think of eating people, with this article in particular being an editorial from a horrendously biased news source.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

QuoteAs for that first article, I don't necessarily think that the age thing is an issue (it really depends on when consent should actually be recognized as consent, which should probably be no younger than 16), but the teacher's position of authority over the student is for a number of reasons.
I guess I could say the same... But I also think the law may be also be there to prevent things like rape and such. Want the teacher to hand you a grade for sex? For example.... And maybe even unconscious things similar to that.  - I suppose they just don't want that as the element of distraction, and rather it be something less dangerous/more productive. - Could be dangerous in quite a number of ways, for examples... like STD, mysteriously getting a baby (Since babies are a huge responsibility.), etc. And who knows what that could mean with your grades down the road... (Before graduating.)

On some levels, I'm sure one could think of it similar to why possession of Marijuana was banned in the past... (The... "If you have it, you're probably abusing it. And we don't care to think otherwise, because it's not needed, and there's an easy alternative to make 100% sure you're not abusing it.".... idea... -- And even that idea can be abused. (e.g. planting evidence.))
(But of course, the real reasons should probably be looked up elsewhere... as I'm only giving quick examples.)

But I guess I'm not really going to pay too much attention to either one of them. :P

QuoteQuestion: Do articles from biased sources or with obviously loaded titles count for this? Or editorials and opinion pieces? Because if so then here's a guy who seems to regularly think of eating people, with this article in particular being an editorial from a horrendously biased news source.
Probably? It's almost like we could just link to the front pages of each "cringeworthy" news source, and basically have a list of them. :D - I mean, if we take to the random theory that they try to out-perform themselves, then the work is already done, right?

--
P.S. = And the world /is/ flat... just only on a map's surface. :P - How's that for a fake joke?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Menaus

I think a playlist of Sargon of Akkad's "This Week in Stupid" series would /thread this.
"You state that I have misinterpreted my results, and it looks as though you believe my views to be unsound. Your arguments are those of an eminent scholar. I was myself a fair scholar. For years I pondered, so to speak, day and night over books, and filled my head with sound views–very sound ones, indeed—those of others. But I could no[t] get to practical results. I then began to work and think independently. Gradually my views became unsound, but they conducted me to some sound results." - Nikola Tesla

charon the ferryman

CNN has really been pissing me off lately; at least Yahoo is a notorious dump on the internet.

What frustrates me a ton right now is after the Ghost Ship incident which killed 36 people, they not only fill their feed with a bunch of anti-Trump crap, but even bring it up in articles about the tragedy:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/05/opinions/nanny-state-prevent-oakland-fire-kayyem-opinion/index.html

We get it CNN, he's an idiot, whatever, 36 @#$%&*! people died and the best you can do is write like 2 articles a few days after the incident, and an opinion piece that includes more "baw baw Trump baw baw". Furthermore they go on to @#$%& about some regulation based politics. I agree that venue regulations is important and repealing them can be seriously dangerous (we have other examples in recent US history like the Station Nightclub fire to show that) but are you kidding me? Using a disaster to push a political agenda Yet Again? Show some @#$%&*! respect.

Man, @#$% Journalism. Kind of crazy to think how Internet has turned Journalism on its head for the most part. I see this sort of behaviour a lot though. Something terrible happens and people use it as a political platform. It happens all the time with suicides - "oh we should do this about gun control/drug control or else these people wouldn't have killed themselves". Yeah, like some @#$%&*! randy who never lost @#$% or never studied @#$% beyond 3 seconds for a news story knows.