News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Lord Wolframs castle of dreams.

Started by Lord Wolfram, 11, November, 2016, 03:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Wolfram

Oh Boy a whole castle. What can we find here?
Let's start of with a nice athem of the castle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1LWHJBioiY
Come in, I welcome thee to the castle where everything you see is real and created by me.?
Thru art a worthy man as thee are welcomed to the magnificent building of the web.
http://www.andrisivanovs.com/
Then again who would go to the castle without any clue what's in  there.
So let me show thee small castle map:
Entrance:
Well pretty much known as the HOME page where you see things that show small layout here and there.
Small info about the lord of the castle... blah blah blah who reads that anyways.

NEWS
Whoa a page where you see news? news about election maybe
Not really but hey, I will always have made some new things of might get some interesting ideas.
Newer skip this page because who knows maybe those are breaking news,

PROJECTS & GAMES
what's the difference?
Projects are mostly some programming things that not everyone would be interested into while games contain no code but instead some info about games I've made, tried to make and will make.

http://i.imgur.com/9H1IFgI.png   // The picture is way too big for forum, better if I put a link here. [;):]

Well as the most recent interesting project I've started was ReSaNa DOS
Small C program supposed to work like an OS.
I don't plan to make it for any while longer but once the final things will be attached to it, I'll Upload the project and will send out as an open source program.

I'm always welcoming some interesting ideas and thoughts about what should be done better.
Well then, here I shall end the introduction for the castle, please pay a visit there and tell me what else I can do cool to make the castle look better. (I mean the content, the design is my own decision)

Thru art my guest and thee shall come and see the castle. Everything you have written here will be helpful to make more creative things.

Luna_blade

Well you have been certainly busy!!
What is your occupation right now if I may ask?

That song... mhh
I like it a bit. I don't think it is really ambient though.
It is a lot more creative than the songs of a DJ I follow.
Are you into electronic music perhaps? (Oh wait I just saw your playlist)

Wow man that website looks pretty clean.
I think I am going to follow you if you keep updating.

I really thought for a second that you were making your own OS, but it only console....

"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

*Fox is traveling from the woods looking for a new place to setting down.
*Fox sees a castle ahead. It looks kinda new and no body seems to be around.
*Fox takes a few leaps and sniffs as he advances through the path pass a creek.
*Fox notices there's a speaker/microphone at the door, so he then proceeds to speak.
*However, it appears that the front door has already opened, and he has been welcomed in.
*Fox takes a look at the man at the front door, and then down to his name tag which has a pin.

"Hello Andris Ivanovs... or is that Lord Wolfram? Is one your real name, and the other a title?" Fox asked as he curiously wondered where everybody else went.

"This place is looking pretty cool for a start... Although, it may still need some work.  Do you perhaps have a room I can stay in? Or must I go outdoors and set up a tent?"

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Lord Wolfram

Quote from: Fox on 11, November, 2016, 04:29:07 PM

"Hello Andris Ivanovs... or is that Lord Wolfram? Is one your real name, and the other a title?" Fox asked as he curiously wondered where everybody else went.

Until the time when I'll change my citizenship to english speaking country that shall be my name yes, It's my name in my native language. However if we localize it, it's Andrew Ivanov

Quote from: Fox on 11, November, 2016, 04:29:07 PM
"This place is looking pretty cool for a start... Although, it may still need some work.  Do you perhaps have a room I can stay in? Or must I go outdoors and set up a tent?"

The blog already exists but because of recent spam none else is allowed to post. I'll see if I can set up a guest room and register people in castes house-book

charon the ferryman

The OS is really cool. I'm no expert on OS but I worked wuth a guy at my last job who was a real OS expert. Is it a proof of concept sort of deal or does it have a specific application? Is it working closely with the hardware like early versions of DOS? Or are you using libraries for things like read/write files.

In my game I used a mockup DOS (not a real OS, but a file system simulator using gml's file handling commands). Wish more stuff was like that in games, it would be cool to have more with those sorts of simulations. Imagine if you had to "hack" a computer in a game with batch files or simulations of compilers.

Lord Wolfram

It's a basic code written in C.
Well it can't work in Vanilla PC as it's compiled in VS 2010.
I do plan on adding few other features like data handling in txt files.
Once I will have figured out those few things I'll release the source code.
After then I'll start my game project.
EDIT:
Almost forgot, I can edit txt files now but the tool isn't so flexible so I don't launch any update yet.

EDIT2:
Quote from: Luna_blade on 11, November, 2016, 04:20:31 PM
I really thought for a second that you were making your own OS, but it only console....
Just now noticed this, lol.
Well what you expect. making an OS is not that simple and this alone serves as a good prototype. It's more than nothing.

QuoteInterested In Working With Us?
Get In Touch With Me in Facebook
Is this "Working" as in people can make money from you? Or is it just a simple way of allowing people to make any random contribution that they please? (I'm betting on the latter.)
So? Am I interested in working with y'all? Hmmm..... Maybe... at least for offering any programming advice I would likely have. (Regardless of whether paid or not.)

And interesting that Facebook is the only option listed. Nice picture, by the way.
Does that mean you accept Friend invitations? (Not that anyone is actually going on a friending-masquerade.) Or is it just for simple messaging?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Lord Wolfram

Quote from: Fox on 11, November, 2016, 06:19:50 PM
QuoteInterested In Working With Us?
Get In Touch With Me in Facebook
Is this "Working" as in people can make money from you? Or is it just a simple way of allowing people to make any random contribution that they please? (I'm betting on the latter.)
So? Am I interested in working with y'all? Hmmm..... Maybe... at least for offering any programming advice I would likely have. (Regardless of whether paid or not.)

And interesting that Facebook is the only option listed. Nice picture, by the way.
Does that mean you accept Friend invitations? (Not that anyone is actually going on a friending-masquerade.) Or is it just for simple messenging?
Well I am right not looking for a job myself so I am like trying my best to learn and be useful so I sadly can't pay.
Sure, a friend invitation is always welcomed, so long as it's not spam.
Well there are people who like to do amazing group projects so I think that it's great to invite people instead of siting alone in dark room and code for hours. Just like how Linux was made.

Programming advice sounds nice. Hmm... for the moment this place is the best for discussion until I will set up forum.

charon the ferryman

Quote from: Lord Wolfram on 11, November, 2016, 04:59:37 PM
EDIT2:
Quote from: Luna_blade on 11, November, 2016, 04:20:31 PM
Well what you expect. making an OS is not that simple and this alone serves as a good prototype. It's more than nothing.

So you built a file manager/manipulator in a console, still cool though. You should look into building a kernel if you want to go deeper. I don't know anything about that though.

Lord Wolfram

Quote from: Seto Kaiba on 11, November, 2016, 06:26:50 PM
So you built a file manager/manipulator in a console, still cool though. You should look into building a kernel if you want to go deeper. I don't know anything about that though.
err... better not. I might not have the time yeah. I have to learn some skill in C and then make a game. Must get the job I require so much else I might fail, parents kick me out of the house.... sad end I don't want to have.

charon the ferryman

Well, keep your game going, but try to find an area of expertise that you really enjoy. It will definitely help you build your career and make you stick out to potential employers. Even something as niche as "blind accessibility" is workable in that sense (as I've found out!). If you follow your passion and aim to become an expert, but keep yourself a flexible resource to employers, it will make you look much more viable. Don't fall into the "just out of college" trap. It's a great thing you're working on your own projects though, that's the first step.

Lord Wolfram

Quote from: Seto Kaiba on 11, November, 2016, 06:38:31 PM
Well, keep your game going, but try to find an area of expertise that you really enjoy. It will definitely help you build your career and make you stick out to potential employers. Even something as niche as "blind accessibility" is workable in that sense (as I've found out!). If you follow your passion and aim to become an expert, but keep yourself a flexible resource to employers, it will make you look much more viable. Don't fall into the "just out of college" trap. It's a great thing you're working on your own projects though, that's the first step.
Yeah, well I'm just 18 so I am about to finish high school. I have few other projects somewhere. I remember making space shooter. Might look for it. Maybe there's some evidence left. Source code is with me too.
(I am printing out my source code, I have 138 pages of code printed so far. >.> In XNA(C#) and HTML

Lord Wolfram

"This place is looking pretty cool for a start... Although, it may still need some work.  Do you perhaps have a room I can stay in? Or must I go outdoors and set up a tent?"
Now as an update.
There are now rooms for visitors to stay in, but please don't forget that only those who are registered in our house book may stay, well we don't like playing with fire so...

Sounds good.

Just as something trivial, but interesting: I have Yoshi's Lighthouse set up so Guests can post anywhere, but there's still a Captcha because that's how ZetaBoards works.
No real problems yet, and it's been like that for quite a long time now. Same with those Google Docs that guests can edit. (But Google Docs don't do Captchas.)
It was like an experiment in the beginning.... but it's been so long now.... who knows.
In a sense, it is like experimenting on your house by not locking the doors when you leave, but still having your security cameras on. (Maybe your bedroom door is locked though... e.g. Admin group.)
Of course, I'm not doing that to a house at present, though.... but it sure would be interesting to try it one day. (With some not-so-deadly traps. :P e.g. Imagine jail bars dropping from the door ways when they are inside. And a code is used to unlock them. - The way to activate them could be when a secret alarm is on, and an expensive t.v. is unplugged, for example.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Lord Wolfram

Small Update!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x555O0FmXI
+ I need help from this point, I'll set up the docs about the development and will upload the project pretty soon so I await your support.

Luna_blade

(just replying to every message here)

Quote from: Lord Wolfram
Small Update!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x555O0FmXI
+ I need help from this point, I'll set up the docs about the development and will upload the project pretty soon so I await your support.
What kind of help? I know a thing or two about VB.NET and Visual studio in general. I want to learn all kinds of stuff, but my priority is Java since I need that the most for school (starting a big Java project tomorrow).
Now as an update.  There are now rooms for visitors to stay in, but please don't forget that only those who are registered in our house book may stay, well we don't like playing with fire so...
But you were saturos once... who really liked playing with fire  :happy:
Anyway, how can one become a member on your forum?
Yeah, well I'm just 18 so I am about to finish high school. I have few other projects somewhere. I remember making space shooter. Might look for it. Maybe there's some evidence left. Source code is with me too.
(I am printing out my source code, I have 138 pages of code printed so far. >.> In XNA(C#) and HTML
That's pretty much. You did/do XNA?
Quote from: Seto Kaiba
Don't fall into the "just out of college" trap. It's a great thing you're working on your own projects though, that's the first step.
Great advice.
Quote from: Lord Wolfram on 11, November, 2016, 06:29:05 PM
err... better not. I might not have the time yeah. I have to learn some skill in C and then make a game. Must get the job I require so much else I might fail, parents kick me out of the house.... sad end I don't want to have.
If I understand this right, you have to find a job or your parents kick you out?
It's a basic code written in C.
Well it can't work in Vanilla PC as it's compiled in VS 2010.
I do plan on adding few other features like data handling in txt files.
Once I will have figured out those few things I'll release the source code.
After then I'll start my game project.
What do you mean with Vanilla PC? Most computers run windows and VS 2010 compile just fine for windows pc's...
I couldn't find a download link for ReSaNa DOS, otherwise I would have tested it to see if it works on Win10.
Now that I think about it, starting smaller is the best approach. Let's say I usually start out with projects that are too big.
Quote from: Fox
*Fox is traveling from the woods looking for a new place to setting down.
*Fox sees a castle ahead. It looks kinda new and no body seems to be around.
*Fox takes a few leaps and sniffs as he advances through the path pass a creek.
*Fox notices there's a speaker/microphone at the door, so he then proceeds to speak.
*However, it appears that the front door has already opened, and he has been welcomed in.
*Fox takes a look at the man at the front door, and then down to his name tag which has a pin.

Haha nice.
Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

Lord Wolfram

Quote from: Luna_blade
(just replying to every message here)
(just rereplying to every message here)

Now as an update.  There are now rooms for visitors to stay in, but please don't forget that only those who are registered in our house book may stay, well we don't like playing with fire so...
Quote from: Luna_blade
But you were saturos once... who really liked playing with fire  :happy:
Anyway, how can one become a member on your forum?
:Saturos: good times......

Well scroll down and there's log in register and stuff like that, bottom of the page. (if there isn't then clean the cache of your Web browser.

What kind of help? I know a thing or two about VB.NET and Visual studio in general. I want to learn all kinds of stuff, but my priority is Java since I need that the most for school (starting a big Java project tomorrow).
I've set up the download link in NEWS, go see it.

If I understand this right, you have to find a job or your parents kick you out?
Far worse, if I get the job they kick me out anyways just I need enough to go to study further and am kinda in rush.

That's pretty much. You did/do XNA?
I used to, now I plan to make a game in C. My teacher told me that it's a good idea. Old games used to be made in C

Luna_blade

Quote from: Lord Wolfram on 13, November, 2016, 04:36:46 AM
:Saturos: good times......
Things were somewhat more busy around here back then.
Well scroll down and there's log in register and stuff like that, bottom of the page. (if there isn't then clean the cache of your Web browser.
Now I see.
I've set up the download link in NEWS, go see it.
I downloaded it. testing pretty soon.
Far worse, if I get the job they kick me out anyways just I need enough to go to study further and am kinda in rush.
So you are going to get a job and then earn enough to go to college or something?
I used to, now I plan to make a game in C. My teacher told me that it's a good idea. Old games used to be made in C.
Well I like C (never used it lol) because it is fast and very simple. However, I keep hearing that C++ is better and used more.
At any rate, any C-based language is basically pretty fast.

Wait, you have an high-school teacher that tells you it's a good idea to make a game? Nice.

Yeah I don't know exactly how long people have used C for games, but I guess that when C++ came around a lot of programmers started using it.
Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

@Calculator:  So basic operators that have to be input individually? - Any plans to change it up a little?

I'm thinking have an equation structure, showing each round of evaluation on screen.
-Each level of parenthesis has a separate line.
-Optionally, multiplication/division could have a line.; And possibly Addition/subtraction could have a line. ; But not sure about it. (Maybe there could be a mode that swaps how much should be evaluated before something displays on the screen.)

-Thinking that if any variables are in the equation (where a "=" is used), they could be solved as well...

Also, devision is a typo... Should be "division"...

@.h / .c files = Did you look into the difference between them? (It may not matter, but just in case it helps.) http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3482948/any-fundamental-difference-between-source-and-header-files-in-c

Edit again:
I'm  going to take a guess.... and say that your menu stuff could be done in a table/array of some sort.... assuming that'd make the code cleaner. I shall look more into that. (If there are several separate lists of commands, then I could look into the possibility of having the same table scanning code used for each new table,... this is theoretical until further research on your code.)

I'm not sure what the point of separating MORECOMD from the main list is? Do you only want a max of 16 entries per list, or? (Edit again:  Basically wanting to know what the full command list is.)

*Actually tries to launch the application* =  MSVCR100D.dll not found. - Not sure if that is an actual problem yet, though. (Currently using a comp in which VS wasn't installed, so....)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Luna_blade

Quote from: Fox on 14, November, 2016, 08:23:26 PM
I'm not sure what the point of separating MORECOMD from the main list is? Do you only want a max of 16 entries per list, or? (Edit again:  Basically wanting to know what the full command list is.)
MORECOMD contains only CONFIG (which crashes upon using) in the version I downloaded.
Well you can actually scroll back, but still I guess I prefer a small list of commands at the time as well.
Quote from: Fox
*Actually tries to launch the application* =  MSVCR100D.dll not found. - Not sure if that is an actual problem yet, though. (Currently using a comp in which VS wasn't installed, so....)
Might be Win7 related, but I have the full VS studio and every package of distributable available and even I got this error. Maybe external library?
Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

@CONFIG:  I saw that in the source, but didn't know that crashes...
MORECOMD seems like it'd be better to have a more specific name if possible... - I think (maybe) I'd like to have a slightly larger list if both these menus are small since it's just the help menu... I mean, you can still group them in categories if you wanted to, right? (Even if you couldn't scroll, show one category... <Press any key to continue to showing next category> etc. - Some old DOS computers might do it that way as well, but I forget now???)
---
Well... The computer I am on is running Windows Vista. (My own/primary computer... was Windows 10... which is not with me at the moment. Probably will be repaired.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Lord Wolfram

Quote from: Fox on 15, November, 2016, 02:06:40 AM
@CONFIG:  I saw that in the source, but didn't know that crashes...
It's simply there but it's pointing nowhere. Once you execute the command your make the compiler confused and it crashes

MORECOMD seems like it'd be better to have a more specific name if possible... - I think (maybe) I'd like to have a slightly larger list if both these menus are small since it's just the help menu... I mean, you can still group them in categories if you wanted to, right? (Even if you couldn't scroll, show one category... <Press any key to continue to showing next category> etc. - Some old DOS computers might do it that way as well, but I forget now???)
---
Those are extra commands, DOS didn't show all of them to use. MORECOMD is for showing commands that would be used for system management

At the error..... I think that the compiler is not really working? Well it's saying that DLL is missing,get it within the project and run it again

On the side note, does the code look alright, it's not that messy right?

Hm.... So basically SYSMNG ? :D
And okay.

Yes, I know about dlldump places... (But how do you know if they're 100% authentic?)

@Messy: Well, it is (mostly) fine right now, because there's not much code. (Probably.) But...., if we really got into that... I could bring up that some people think using goto is bad practice. (Not using any while / do / switch / etc. blocks?)
For example, you could wrap the command list inside of a "while true" loop, and have only the exit one(s) "break;" out of it. -- Etc. (I'd go deeper by converting to a table/table scanner, though. .. where each command is linked to a function. (Functions listed in the table.))

So far, the table I'm thinking would have 3 things per command.
-Command (What you type to get to it.)
-Description
-Function to be called.

So basically, the same exact command list is checked for both, when detecting what command you entered, /and/ for listing them in the Help command. Makes it your one-stop-shop for editing what commands are available/seen.. without having to check multiple places.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Lord Wolfram

@ GOTO
Well I talked a lot with my teacher about it, and we decided that in menu it's fine, so long as code isn't long the GOTO is fine
Also right now I'm more interested to understand how SDL is working and then make a game, after it I'll return to this project

@GOTO: Using it is fine, yes... (Even I /might/ use it a few times... But not much...) But anyway, I guess what I'm saying/asking is... If you can easily do it two different ways... why take the (potentially) lower quality version (for readability) when you don't have to? (I haven't checked which is more optimized when compiled, though... But any differences there (if any) would be too microscopic to even be concerned.) ---

Forgot to mention, but in a while statement, your "goto start" could be replaced with "continue;"... since it's the same thing.

I guess later on (if I'm up to it.), I can see about how much I can shorten your code (while maintaining readability/etc.)... so that you can pick whichever one you prefer... I'd like to think of it as sort of an experiment. - Still have to decide on whether to get a compiler now, or wait...

I assume SDL is just built onto VBA, and that basically the ReadLine is mostly responsible for keeping the game paused? (I guess.) Kinda forget what I was experimenting with (not VBA-related) a long time ago, so who knows...

----
WIP:

/*****************************************/
/* ReSaNa DOS main class */
/* By Andrew Ivanov */
/* Tasks: show list of commands */
/* and explain the functions that */
/* each of the commands does. */
/*****************************************/
#include "Main.h"

typedef struct {
const char* name;
const char* desc;
void (*func)();
} tCommand;

//extern const tCommand Commands[]; //move this and above to .h file later.
void cmdna()
{
printf("This command is not available!\n");
}
void help()
{
int i = 0;
for (;;) {
if (Commands[i].name == "")
break;
printf(Commands[i].name);
printf(" - ");
printf(Commands[i].desc);
printf("\n");
i++;
};
//return;
}
const tCommand Commands[] = {
{"CD", "changes the current directory", cmdna},
{"COPY", "copies a file", cmdna},
{"DEL", "deletes a file", cmdna},
{"DIR", "lists directory contents", cmdna},
{"EDITOR", "starts an editor to create or edit plain text files", cmdna},
{"CCODE", "starts an C programming interace for making new programes", cmdna},
{"CALC", "starts a calculator to calculate numbers", cmdna},
{"COMPRES", "Compresses data to fit the disk", cmdna},
{"HELP", "displays list of commands", help},
{"HELPCOMD", "displays information about a command", cmdna},
{"MORECOMD", "gives user acces to additional commands", cmdna},
{"MKDIR", "creates a new directory", cmdna},
{"RD", "removes a directory", cmdna},
{"REN", "renames a file", cmdna},
{"TYPE", "displays contents of a text file on the screen", cmdna},
{"EXIT", "Exits the ReSaNa DOS system.", cmdna},
{"", "", cmdna}
};
void test()
{
int i = 0;
char command[8];
gets_s(command, 8);
for (;;) {
if (Commands[i].name == ""){printf(command);
printf("Please write your answer correctly!\n");
gets_s(command, 8);
i = 0;
continue;
}
if (strcmp(Commands[i].name, command) == 0) {
Commands[i].func();
if (strcmp("EXIT", command) == 0)
break;
gets_s(command, 8);
i = 0;
continue;
}
i++;
};
//return;
}
// Main
int main()
{

// Set up functions before starting the ReSaNa DOS
printf("Starting ReSaNa DOS...\n\n");
SystemSetup();
DataBase();
// After setup is done, starting the system
test();
//MainCommands();
    return 0;
}

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Lord Wolfram

Made another C code. Have fun figuring out what it does.

[spoiler]
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>

int main()
{

int c;
   FILE *inputfile, *outputfile;
   char text[4096];
   inputfile = fopen("cipska.dat", "r");
   outputfile = fopen("cipska.rez", "w");
   if (inputfile) {

fscanf(inputfile, "%*[^\n]\n", NULL);

while ((c = getc(inputfile)) != EOF)
      {
         if (c == '3' || c == '5')
         {
            fputc(c, outputfile);
            fprintf(outputfile, " ");
         }
         else
         {
            fputc(c, outputfile);
         }
      }

fclose(inputfile);
      fclose(outputfile);
   }
    return 0;
}
[/spoiler]

DAT to REZ file conversion?

But for what?

QuoteResource file used by first-person shooter games that are developed with the Lithtech gaming engine; contains game content, including meshes, textures, music, maps, and other game objects; commonly used to modify game content.
Oh.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Lord Wolfram

I think that I should add that .dat file contains numbers like this

titleline

A bunch of numbers? Why? :P

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden