News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Nintendo NX (codename)

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 25, May, 2016, 01:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Anybody have any idea what it is?

List of notable things I found from sources go here:
-It will be released March 2017.
-It's not merely the successor to the handheld 3DS or stationary console Wii U.
-This will be hardware that's been made with a new way of thinking. (Basically a redundant line?)
-It will not be shown in this E3's conference.
-There will be a Zelda game released for the Wii U and NX... (I'm guessing the game might be shown at E3.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Misery

Quote from: Fox on 25, May, 2016, 01:15:19 AM
-It's not merely the successor to the handheld 3DS or stationary console Wii U.
-This will be hardware that's been made with a new way of thinking. (Basically a redundant line?)
Basically PR lines that tell us absolutely nothing. It's going to succeed the 3DS/Wii U regardless of whether it is "merely" a successor, and it can be said to be made with a "new way of thinking" as long as it's not a copy of an earlier system.

I think it's safe to assume that:
-You can play games on it (considering a title has been announced for it...)
-It's either stationary or portable (if it's not one, it's the other)

Well, for the prior line....(Probably in combination with the next??) ,,,  I thought maybe it wouldn't have a "DS" or "Wii" name attached....? (NDS/3DS/2DS/New 3DS / Wii/Wii U) It could still go by another name and be known to come after those, probably. If portable, DS means Dual Screen (I think), so maybe it isn't 2-screened? (More, or less?) -  Seeing as the Zelda game is coming for the Wii U as well... it might be a little silly if the system is too much like the Wii U, so... hmm... No idea what to think on that, though.

\I could probably come up with some theoretical stuff to think about, but until we know, we can assume they're not it. For example:
-If it turned out to be like the HoloLens or  VR, then hmm...
-If the new way of thinking was not to include buttons, but sensors... that would also be interesting, but that's probably unlikely? (Might still want a power button or switch.) ... Depending on if games could cause limited physical change to a device, then they could probably set up the controls themselves. (Probably would be pretty expensive for the customers, though....? so I'm not betting on that.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

With what they were trying on the Wii U, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a complete hybrid between the two using smaller discs like what the Gamecube used. Basically a slightly smaller dual-screen gamepad with good wi-fi capabilities that isn't anchored to a main tower, complete with some form of 3D to allow for backwards compatibility and the ability to fold to protect its screens.

I mean, I doubt they will from a marketing standpoint, but I wouldn't be surprised. Such an idea would only be viable if they were also set on maintaining or improving the graphic capabilities of the Wii U.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

I kind of doubt it too...

What does NX mean, anyway? New Xbox? .... Nintendo, Nintendo Ten? (NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii/WiiU, GBA, NDS, 3DS/New3DS/2DS, ...  -- Not including Microsoft/Sony systems.)

- Any idea if it will be an Always-Online type of platform that the Xbox One wanted to be? And selling the games online only....  (Well, not sending the game itself, as a method to avoid the encryption issues...) I can see it done in a way where only graphics data and music data is forwarded to your system... (and cached). Surely that would be a "new way of thinking" as far as internals go. However, do to connection speeds, and with the risk of them getting DDOS'd, this might be quite unlikely...

I suppose the best answer we can get is by looking it up than using our brains?? So... Hmm...
* Finds this link: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nintendo-nx-news/

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Salanewt

Quote from: Lord Squirtle on 27, May, 2016, 10:45:21 AM
With what they were trying on the Wii U, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a complete hybrid between the two using smaller discs like what the Gamecube used. Basically a slightly smaller dual-screen gamepad with good wi-fi capabilities that isn't anchored to a main tower, complete with some form of 3D to allow for backwards compatibility and the ability to fold to protect its screens.

I mean, I doubt they will from a marketing standpoint, but I wouldn't be surprised. Such an idea would only be viable if they were also set on maintaining or improving the graphic capabilities of the Wii U.

WELL, I wasn't entirely wrong lol. It's a hybrid handheld/console and it seems to at least match the Wii U in terms of processing power based on what little I could tell from the fancy trailer. It's still different from what I thought it would be though (not dual-screen in handheld mode, not disc-based, etc.).

Thoughts? I'm pretty stoked about it, yet it almost feels like this was supposed to be the original post-Wii system and they just did the Wii U & 3DS thing to bide time until this was finished. Maybe not but in a way.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Interesting how typing "n" will show this first in results (attachment), but if you type it out, you start seeing "price" appear...

So I look up the price... and...

How much do you think it'll cost? I'm going to take a guess and say maybe $250.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Rolina

Guessing 250-300.

I'm more worried about battery life, storage space, and durability of stuff like the kickstand.

Luna_blade

Quote from: Rolina on 22, October, 2016, 01:12:16 AM
I'm more worried about battery life, storage space, and durability of stuff like the kickstand.
Yeah, especially durability. Those sliding things don't look solid.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Salanewt

Those are my concerns too. I won't bother guessing price because of conversion rates and tax differences, but I think it's durability and battery life will be the biggest hurdles to jump if this is to be a reliable portable device; storage isn't as much of a concern if they at least have SD card support.