News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Programming rant

Started by Luna_blade, 04, December, 2016, 02:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Hm... Good point. Which files are required to access the file system? (Besides the Kernel, since we know it comes first.)
And how long does that take to replace? (As part of the worst-case scenario statistic.)
I am not sure about boot methods... assuming you don't have a disk (Esp. not a built-in CD drive this time... Thumb drives could probably work... since all computers typically have USB,, and they're pretty small/easily portable...).... I suppose you could dual boot with an iso file, but I haven't really set them up. (There is a screen for dual booting though... but the other option (I was going to have it be a Linux/Ubuntu since like... a long time ago), basically is messed up/whatever word goes here.)

@Your experience with overflow:  And that's nice to know. (Although sad to see happen to someone.) Thanks for sharing.

---
I think it's interesting how we went off-topic (assuming the topic is about the programming community's way of doing things.), and how it's still related in some... really strange way.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

charon the ferryman

It really depends on what system you're using and I don't know a ton about it, especially on PCs. However, this is the very basic jist of how bootstrapping works:

When you boot a computer (or any device), electricity is powered to the device, and there is a point in memory that basically defines the first memory address to be read. The bootstrap code is designed so that it allows access to more and more memory and devices. Once memory has been allocated the code starts setting up the framework for the filesystem and operating system.

Any device that can be connected to the computer and is able to be booted through the computer's boot sequence could be used. When you boot a computer, there's an option to select your "boot order", or the order of devices being read. On older computers, it was well known to remove a floppy from your computer before booting since it would be hard coded to read from the A drive first before the C drive (namely because hard drives were not always a thing on these older computers!). In fact, some viruses propogated in this manner in the old days by basically running code that runs on boot from the floppy, and give it the illusion of not being a bootable device.

You could use a bootable thumb drive, removable hard drive, DVD, ect. but the volume would probably have to be labeled as bootable when you set up the partition. Again not an expert but this is what I know.

What this means is that as long as whatever software you're running is able to initialize themselves in this way, they can be used to boot a computer.