Golden Sun Hacking Community
December 14, 2017, 02:40:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Programming rant  (Read 5547 times)
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 01:12:17 AM »

Lazy programmer shouldn't be that ironic, really... Get to lay down in your bed all day (At least figuratively), watch t.v., get fat, eat tons of sugar and have diabetes ... all that fun stuff...
--
The chances of hitting something important is small
I agree with that likeliness... but wasn't sure if there was anything I was missing...

The worst case scenario I can imagine being the most likely, is if you're trying to hack a program with violent anti-hack features. :/ (However, the chance of a program being created as such is pretty tiny.)

I remember once messing something up because I cleaned out the registry... via using a program to do so... ...  it's been so long now, though... (Maybe even a decade?? ... (I think it was the empty keys?) But note, I forget exactly all the details, but anyway.)  So you also have to use common sense as well.

Stack Smash
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 01:26:47 AM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...
Did you know? In English, you are suppose to capitalize the languages. (e.g. English is a proper noun.) Subjects like math, science, history can be left lower-cased unless they are a title. (Kind of like how you can say either "my mom" or "Mom" in "I went with (X) to the store.", except that I don't think languages are ever lower-cased in English.) In Spanish, both subjects and languages are left lower-cased. (I put this here because I've noticed people make this mistake quite often. And am curious if they know about this, and whether they use their way because they believe this grammar usage should have never been a thing?

Remember kids! In getting a job, it's not about what you know, it's about WHO you know! So start making friends with the people that work where you want to work. :) (Friend of a friend and volunteering count too, so keep that in mind.)[/si
View Profile
roger
the blind-oriented developer
Jupiter Clan

Coins: 3

I am: chillin'

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 01:43:00 PM »

Windows Registry is just a database with settings for your operating system. It can cause issues if you were to clear it out since many pieces of software rely on the registry for things like software expiration and even critical system processes. In rom hacking terms, it would be like deleting a table used to lookup sprites or battle scripts.

By the time you're screwing around with the stack, you're more than likely not doing "random bytes" anyways; either you just crash the program with a number of stack-related crashes or you trigger arbitrary code that doesn't do anything or potentially crashes the computer.

Anyways, developer laziness is one of the key problems facing accessibility today. Most software is not made accessible because most people don't know what's required and they don't fill in all the accessibility labels, let alone try to build a logical focus order.

View Profile WWW
Luna_blade
The last member of the Luna clan
Luna Clan

Great Member

Coins: 0

I am: Timeless. As in, i don't have much free time.

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 02:21:34 PM »

Anyways, developer laziness is one of the key problems facing accessibility today. Most software is not made accessible because most people don't know what's required and they don't fill in all the accessibility labels, let alone try to build a logical focus order.
https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2003/10/08/the-absolute-minimum-every-software-developer-absolutely-positively-must-know-about-unicode-and-character-sets-no-excuses/
Does that include translation?
I know windows supports lot's of languages. But Android IDK?
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7973023/what-is-the-list-of-supported-languages-locales-on-android
Quite a lot, but likely not in the earlier versions.

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 02:25:09 PM »

-I know what the registry is... and you are correct. In fact, I believe the files for them are in... System32 /config...
I think I'd like to think of it as some sort of SQL-like thing.. (But not really.) Since SQL happens to be about managing tables as well. (But SQL is more of a coding type of thing. SQL = Structured Query Language)

@cleaned out = I don't mean deleting the whole thing, no... Just things that fell into a specific category at the time... apparently the program I was using wasn't clear about the dangers. Maybe I wasn't thinking? -- But it was so long ago, so do not think of it as anything recent.

-Well... I more just thinking of worst-case scenarios.... (Which I would think, requires knowing what all the boot files are... etc.) ... I mean... I could go on to say the registry is a type of "app" (In some way")... some people say to be careful in the registry...  and now maybe I want to know what files/keys to not touch... it's basically the same premise of what I'm trying to say. (In a somewhat(?) different form.) Since the more specific the information, the better.

Perhaps it can be made (Assuming you're designing an OS) so that the Kernel (and maybe a specialized back-up sector) is the only thing you need to actually be careful of, but I dunno... (Since that way, we could have several different forms of admin access.. The top owner status could have Kernel access, while regular admins don't, but has access to everything else... including boot files that could be repaired by Kernel. (Assuming you allocate that feature to the Kernel, in this example.))

-That's understandable... It already takes a lot of crazy time to build a game... so I'd admire those who are able to do frequent updates to whatever software they're developing. (Even if the updates are relatively small.)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:23:37 PM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Did you know? In English, you are suppose to capitalize the languages. (e.g. English is a proper noun.) Subjects like math, science, history can be left lower-cased unless they are a title. (Kind of like how you can say either "my mom" or "Mom" in "I went with (X) to the store.", except that I don't think languages are ever lower-cased in English.) In Spanish, both subjects and languages are left lower-cased. (I put this here because I've noticed people make this mistake quite often. And am curious if they know about this, and whether they use their way because they believe this grammar usage should have never been a thing?

Remember kids! In getting a job, it's not about what you know, it's about WHO you know! So start making friends with the people that work where you want to work. :) (Friend of a friend and volunteering count too, so keep that in mind.)[/si
View Profile
roger
Jupiter Clan

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 03:23:56 PM »

https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2003/10/08/the-absolute-minimum-every-software-developer-absolutely-positively-must-know-about-unicode-and-character-sets-no-excuses/
Does that include translation?
I know windows supports lot's of languages. But Android IDK?
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7973023/what-is-the-list-of-supported-languages-locales-on-android
Quite a lot, but likely not in the earlier versions.

I'm referring to blind accessibility, but that's another example of laziness. What usually happens with a developer is that they assume that since it works for them under certain circumstances that it works for everyone. In the case of blind accessibility, that problem is pretty obvious since blind accessibility requires that you 1) set up an appropriate focus order of your elements, so that a blind person can navigate via tabbing/keyboard, and 2) requires labels so that blind people can tell more about an object than "Radiobutton, radiobutton, button, frame) ect. Poorly made websites oftentimes will have you tabbing through a long list of "table/row/column" before reaching any substantial text. Many developers don't even realize they're forgetting it. Those who do know how time consuming it can be, especially to fix it.

What you're talking about more has to do with character sets which is another problem entirely rooted in the same psychological idea - "it works for me so it will work for everyone". Smaller character sets have limited space for characters and therefore other alphabets such as cryllic or greek either are installed on larger character sets, or replace latin ones, which in the latter case often causes display issues. I'm no expert on character sets but I do know that at least.

@ Fox - Restoring the registry is fairly easy though, as long as you're able to, in some way, access the file system. For example, if you managed to bork your system so badly that it can't boot, but just need to replace the registry, if you have a backup file that you can use, you could boot using an alternative boot method (for example, using a disk to boot with Ubuntu or something) and replace the file that way. On systems like a Wii or other closed software systems this is much harder to do, but on something like your PC you should be fine. Hell, once I completely destroyed my windows Vista through some crazy overflow that somehow corrupt some system files; I was able to get all my data backed up through running an ubuntu DVD and just loading them on my portable hard drive, then reimaged the hardware. Was down for a good 2 days though.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:27:36 PM by Seto Kaiba » Logged

View Profile WWW
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 03:51:39 PM »

Hm... Good point. Which files are required to access the file system? (Besides the Kernel, since we know it comes first.)
And how long does that take to replace? (As part of the worst-case scenario statistic.)
I am not sure about boot methods... assuming you don't have a disk (Esp. not a built-in CD drive this time... Thumb drives could probably work... since all computers typically have USB,, and they're pretty small/easily portable...).... I suppose you could dual boot with an iso file, but I haven't really set them up. (There is a screen for dual booting though... but the other option (I was going to have it be a Linux/Ubuntu since like... a long time ago), basically is messed up/whatever word goes here.)

@Your experience with overflow:  And that's nice to know. (Although sad to see happen to someone.) Thanks for sharing.

---
I think it's interesting how we went off-topic (assuming the topic is about the programming community's way of doing things.), and how it's still related in some... really strange way.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 04:08:45 PM by Fox » Logged

View Profile
roger
Jupiter Clan

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 04:23:50 PM »

It really depends on what system you're using and I don't know a ton about it, especially on PCs. However, this is the very basic jist of how bootstrapping works:

When you boot a computer (or any device), electricity is powered to the device, and there is a point in memory that basically defines the first memory address to be read. The bootstrap code is designed so that it allows access to more and more memory and devices. Once memory has been allocated the code starts setting up the framework for the filesystem and operating system.

Any device that can be connected to the computer and is able to be booted through the computer's boot sequence could be used. When you boot a computer, there's an option to select your "boot order", or the order of devices being read. On older computers, it was well known to remove a floppy from your computer before booting since it would be hard coded to read from the A drive first before the C drive (namely because hard drives were not always a thing on these older computers!). In fact, some viruses propogated in this manner in the old days by basically running code that runs on boot from the floppy, and give it the illusion of not being a bootable device.

You could use a bootable thumb drive, removable hard drive, DVD, ect. but the volume would probably have to be labeled as bootable when you set up the partition. Again not an expert but this is what I know.

What this means is that as long as whatever software you're running is able to initialize themselves in this way, they can be used to boot a computer.

View Profile WWW
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Yesterday at 09:19:38 PM
Fox: Okay, so that Summon Night games adds the fram number to the seed, before generating another seed via mul/add....  (GS1-GS3 never adds the fram number.) ... So um, that makes sense! ;  Summon Night:  ((seed + frame) * 0x343FD + 0x269E3C) >> 0x10 ; Which is also on the list here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_congruential_generator
December 12, 2017, 11:10:45 PM
Fox: Yes, and there could be contests. Maybe ones where 1st/2nd/3rd place get a cash reward, but eh. Dunno.... Kind of thinking about making a topic about how people got their job, and what was their experience. (e.g. Did they use references of people already working in the job, and various other things.)
December 09, 2017, 04:24:14 AM
Majora: Import old forum posts for reference, perhaps take posts containing important info like documentation away from the old stickied forum post model and make them into their own pages on a site with an in-built search bar. Might help with SEO, too. If nothing else, perhaps whipping them into PDFs and hosting them via Scribd? The possibilities are boundless when it comes to restructuring a site
December 09, 2017, 04:20:02 AM
Majora: Just a nice idea to have even if it doesn't come to fruition. Updating, modernizing, always a good idea. Could probably do something pretty nifty using a good Wordpress theme
December 09, 2017, 04:15:45 AM
Majora: Would be kind of neat to do something like that for GSHC. Could change it up a bit to show all tweets/instagram posts/facebook posts/golden sun subreddit posts all in one sidebar. It would be cool in that it gives the site it's on (and the topic in general) appear more lively and active, which is a plus
December 09, 2017, 04:14:19 AM
Majora: That does sound interesting. One cool thing I've seen some sites use is a sort of unique take on a sidebar option that acts like a social media integration (like, "See GSHC's latest Tweets"). It displays activity from a variety of related sites, such as Reddit, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
December 09, 2017, 12:58:53 AM
Fox: And the way it'd work via code is not that all users would instantly get nicknames the minute you register... but rather, the moment you view a name if it doesn't have a nickname, it gets one. (My Thoughts.)
December 09, 2017, 12:53:55 AM
Fox: (I was thinking that it would be "Name (Nickname)" ... The nickname is what you first known the user as, and you can change that yourself... and the Name is what the user wants to be called... Something like that.
December 09, 2017, 12:47:56 AM
Fox: So like... for starters, one idea I had was to make it so anyone can name anyone... much like how it works on Skype, and you (the namer) would be the only one to see it, and such...
December 09, 2017, 12:45:02 AM
Fox: Would need to be carefully thought out and tested, though.
December 09, 2017, 12:43:02 AM
Fox: I'm thinking I could make it so that name changes can happen whenever... (Without any limit)... Since I believe there's a way to do it with minimum confusion. (I think.) Hmm....
December 09, 2017, 12:31:36 AM
Fox: (I mean an offline version... at least initially.)
December 09, 2017, 12:25:01 AM
Fox: Now that I have thought about it a bit more, would I be right to assume that GSHC would be one of the most interesting websites to administrate, or no? It's sad to see not much going on with it. == I almost want to make a concept website at some point. :D Anyway, how is everyone doing today?
December 06, 2017, 12:12:59 AM
Fox: Like... Start using Github or something... Do like how many of those other projects such as Citra (WIP 3DS Emulator) does. Etc.
December 06, 2017, 12:08:12 AM
Fox: No idea. I just wish OpenGoldenSun would release it as unfinished, but oh well.
December 05, 2017, 06:52:09 AM
MaxiPower: Bummed out that the open golden sun project is dead it seems with no actitivy in close to a year at this point. Is there any hope left in any other projects?
November 27, 2017, 10:25:28 AM
Fox: (When I say research, mainly refering to the data in the game, though checking websites can count to a degree.)
November 27, 2017, 09:52:27 AM
Fox: Maybe. But Dark Dawn is meh, hahah... I still research it, though, because data can be interesting.
November 27, 2017, 05:28:36 AM
Portakin: I'm here! This game is underrated!
November 25, 2017, 08:03:23 PM
Fox: .... and the email listed in that post makes me think we should just make a new rules topic with most of the same information. (So the old ones can be sort o archived.)

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise