Golden Sun Hacking Community
June 28, 2017, 01:55:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Programming rant  (Read 3425 times)
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 27

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 01:12:17 AM »

Lazy programmer shouldn't be that ironic, really... Get to lay down in your bed all day (At least figuratively), watch t.v., get fat, eat tons of sugar and have diabetes ... all that fun stuff...
--
The chances of hitting something important is small
I agree with that likeliness... but wasn't sure if there was anything I was missing...

The worst case scenario I can imagine being the most likely, is if you're trying to hack a program with violent anti-hack features. :/ (However, the chance of a program being created as such is pretty tiny.)

I remember once messing something up because I cleaned out the registry... via using a program to do so... ...  it's been so long now, though... (Maybe even a decade?? ... (I think it was the empty keys?) But note, I forget exactly all the details, but anyway.)  So you also have to use common sense as well.

Stack Smash
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 01:26:47 AM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...
View Profile
Seto Kaiba
the blind-oriented developer
Jupiter Clan

Coins: 2

I am: owner of kaiba corp

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 01:43:00 PM »

Windows Registry is just a database with settings for your operating system. It can cause issues if you were to clear it out since many pieces of software rely on the registry for things like software expiration and even critical system processes. In rom hacking terms, it would be like deleting a table used to lookup sprites or battle scripts.

By the time you're screwing around with the stack, you're more than likely not doing "random bytes" anyways; either you just crash the program with a number of stack-related crashes or you trigger arbitrary code that doesn't do anything or potentially crashes the computer.

Anyways, developer laziness is one of the key problems facing accessibility today. Most software is not made accessible because most people don't know what's required and they don't fill in all the accessibility labels, let alone try to build a logical focus order.

View Profile WWW
Luna_blade
The last member of the Luna clan
Luna Clan

Great Member

Coins: 0

I am: Timeless. As in, i don't have much free time.

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 02:21:34 PM »

Anyways, developer laziness is one of the key problems facing accessibility today. Most software is not made accessible because most people don't know what's required and they don't fill in all the accessibility labels, let alone try to build a logical focus order.
https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2003/10/08/the-absolute-minimum-every-software-developer-absolutely-positively-must-know-about-unicode-and-character-sets-no-excuses/
Does that include translation?
I know windows supports lot's of languages. But Android IDK?
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7973023/what-is-the-list-of-supported-languages-locales-on-android
Quite a lot, but likely not in the earlier versions.

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 02:25:09 PM »

-I know what the registry is... and you are correct. In fact, I believe the files for them are in... System32 /config...
I think I'd like to think of it as some sort of SQL-like thing.. (But not really.) Since SQL happens to be about managing tables as well. (But SQL is more of a coding type of thing. SQL = Structured Query Language)

@cleaned out = I don't mean deleting the whole thing, no... Just things that fell into a specific category at the time... apparently the program I was using wasn't clear about the dangers. Maybe I wasn't thinking? -- But it was so long ago, so do not think of it as anything recent.

-Well... I more just thinking of worst-case scenarios.... (Which I would think, requires knowing what all the boot files are... etc.) ... I mean... I could go on to say the registry is a type of "app" (In some way")... some people say to be careful in the registry...  and now maybe I want to know what files/keys to not touch... it's basically the same premise of what I'm trying to say. (In a somewhat(?) different form.) Since the more specific the information, the better.

Perhaps it can be made (Assuming you're designing an OS) so that the Kernel (and maybe a specialized back-up sector) is the only thing you need to actually be careful of, but I dunno... (Since that way, we could have several different forms of admin access.. The top owner status could have Kernel access, while regular admins don't, but has access to everything else... including boot files that could be repaired by Kernel. (Assuming you allocate that feature to the Kernel, in this example.))

-That's understandable... It already takes a lot of crazy time to build a game... so I'd admire those who are able to do frequent updates to whatever software they're developing. (Even if the updates are relatively small.)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:23:37 PM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
View Profile
Seto Kaiba
Jupiter Clan

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 03:23:56 PM »

https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2003/10/08/the-absolute-minimum-every-software-developer-absolutely-positively-must-know-about-unicode-and-character-sets-no-excuses/
Does that include translation?
I know windows supports lot's of languages. But Android IDK?
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7973023/what-is-the-list-of-supported-languages-locales-on-android
Quite a lot, but likely not in the earlier versions.

I'm referring to blind accessibility, but that's another example of laziness. What usually happens with a developer is that they assume that since it works for them under certain circumstances that it works for everyone. In the case of blind accessibility, that problem is pretty obvious since blind accessibility requires that you 1) set up an appropriate focus order of your elements, so that a blind person can navigate via tabbing/keyboard, and 2) requires labels so that blind people can tell more about an object than "Radiobutton, radiobutton, button, frame) ect. Poorly made websites oftentimes will have you tabbing through a long list of "table/row/column" before reaching any substantial text. Many developers don't even realize they're forgetting it. Those who do know how time consuming it can be, especially to fix it.

What you're talking about more has to do with character sets which is another problem entirely rooted in the same psychological idea - "it works for me so it will work for everyone". Smaller character sets have limited space for characters and therefore other alphabets such as cryllic or greek either are installed on larger character sets, or replace latin ones, which in the latter case often causes display issues. I'm no expert on character sets but I do know that at least.

@ Fox - Restoring the registry is fairly easy though, as long as you're able to, in some way, access the file system. For example, if you managed to bork your system so badly that it can't boot, but just need to replace the registry, if you have a backup file that you can use, you could boot using an alternative boot method (for example, using a disk to boot with Ubuntu or something) and replace the file that way. On systems like a Wii or other closed software systems this is much harder to do, but on something like your PC you should be fine. Hell, once I completely destroyed my windows Vista through some crazy overflow that somehow corrupt some system files; I was able to get all my data backed up through running an ubuntu DVD and just loading them on my portable hard drive, then reimaged the hardware. Was down for a good 2 days though.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:27:36 PM by Seto Kaiba » Logged

View Profile WWW
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 03:51:39 PM »

Hm... Good point. Which files are required to access the file system? (Besides the Kernel, since we know it comes first.)
And how long does that take to replace? (As part of the worst-case scenario statistic.)
I am not sure about boot methods... assuming you don't have a disk (Esp. not a built-in CD drive this time... Thumb drives could probably work... since all computers typically have USB,, and they're pretty small/easily portable...).... I suppose you could dual boot with an iso file, but I haven't really set them up. (There is a screen for dual booting though... but the other option (I was going to have it be a Linux/Ubuntu since like... a long time ago), basically is messed up/whatever word goes here.)

@Your experience with overflow:  And that's nice to know. (Although sad to see happen to someone.) Thanks for sharing.

---
I think it's interesting how we went off-topic (assuming the topic is about the programming community's way of doing things.), and how it's still related in some... really strange way.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 04:08:45 PM by Fox » Logged

View Profile
Seto Kaiba
Jupiter Clan

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 04:23:50 PM »

It really depends on what system you're using and I don't know a ton about it, especially on PCs. However, this is the very basic jist of how bootstrapping works:

When you boot a computer (or any device), electricity is powered to the device, and there is a point in memory that basically defines the first memory address to be read. The bootstrap code is designed so that it allows access to more and more memory and devices. Once memory has been allocated the code starts setting up the framework for the filesystem and operating system.

Any device that can be connected to the computer and is able to be booted through the computer's boot sequence could be used. When you boot a computer, there's an option to select your "boot order", or the order of devices being read. On older computers, it was well known to remove a floppy from your computer before booting since it would be hard coded to read from the A drive first before the C drive (namely because hard drives were not always a thing on these older computers!). In fact, some viruses propogated in this manner in the old days by basically running code that runs on boot from the floppy, and give it the illusion of not being a bootable device.

You could use a bootable thumb drive, removable hard drive, DVD, ect. but the volume would probably have to be labeled as bootable when you set up the partition. Again not an expert but this is what I know.

What this means is that as long as whatever software you're running is able to initialize themselves in this way, they can be used to boot a computer.

View Profile WWW
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Yesterday at 10:52:35 PM
Fox: romhacking changed their appearance? A little bit.  Interesting...
June 25, 2017, 08:29:25 PM
Fox: Not as bad as a "HP to 1" hit... unless it kills you in one hit... but yeah, basically.....
June 25, 2017, 07:34:34 PM
Eon713: Toxic works similarly, first turn= 1/16 damage, 2nd 2/16, 3/16, etc. After a while you literally cannot survive the damage even at full health
June 25, 2017, 05:28:05 PM
Fox: With stacking support. ... So might be different numbers.
June 25, 2017, 04:58:36 PM
Fox: *Looks up* ... I suppose that could work. I had in mind that the damage would be greater than that max HP possible after like....  10? turns. So....random numbers:  5 10 20 40 80 160 320 640 1280 BOOM! (>2000)
June 25, 2017, 03:02:53 PM
Eon713: like toxic from pokemon?
June 25, 2017, 02:14:33 AM
Fox: @early stages = Small... or even no damage at all
June 25, 2017, 02:08:11 AM
Fox: Hm. Random thought of a mechanic like a poisonous snake bite. = Starts out with small damage... and if not treated, does big damage... In real life, waiting a long time makes the *poisonous* snake bite look really nasty, I believe. Or maybe that was some reality(?) tv I was watching once a long time ago....
June 24, 2017, 10:52:03 PM
Fox: Ooh... Salanewt's name is back! Hi Salanewt's name! And hello to you as well Salanewt! ; And yeah, SMF (and name) has been amazing.
June 24, 2017, 07:36:19 PM
Salanewt: Aw, RIP one of the best names this site has ever seen. It was time though!
June 24, 2017, 01:47:25 PM
Fox: 1pt text is great, yeah.... Meanwhile, I start feeling like I want to document GS2's MFT stuff. - Especially listing which file uses which compression format... to kind of get a sense of how gsmagic _could_ work.... Er....
June 23, 2017, 02:25:42 PM
Seto Kaiba: you know I miss how SMF is almost dead now because having 1pt text to hide my true feels was perhaps the best part of web 2.0
June 23, 2017, 04:19:13 AM
Fox: Alright. Sounds good.  I agree it does seem a bit silly.  Sounds more of an April Fools type of thing. (Maybe having an ability for people to change their names limitless times specifically on April Fools is an idea.)
June 23, 2017, 04:09:25 AM
Kain: Sala asked me about the name, I thought it was silly but agreed he could have it only for a week.  Tomorrow his name goes back to Salanewt.
June 23, 2017, 03:29:10 AM
Fox: And yay! Atrius is back! Thanks for the reply. Somehow I didn't notice the recuriveness before.
June 23, 2017, 03:25:29 AM
Fox: @ridiculous name for a week =  Hm? So, how many characters would you say should be the maximum to have a name "permanently"... or better yet... How many characters can a name have on registration?
June 23, 2017, 01:00:50 AM
Atrius: @Javi3, Lo siento, ya no tengo tiempo.
June 22, 2017, 08:57:37 PM
Fox: @conundrum = Think about 8/16/32 bit aligned address, and what that means... Etc.
June 22, 2017, 08:55:23 PM
Fox: @Space manager thought for gsmagic = What a conundrum... Whelp... I'll just do whatever.... Probably would waste more time thinking about preventing bugs than coding anyway. :P
June 21, 2017, 09:30:34 AM
Fox: Because he quit a long time ago and has other priorities?

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise