Golden Sun Hacking Community
24, May, 2020, 11:17:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Come give us a "hello" on our Discord server!

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [RELEASE] Golden Sun Reloaded  (Read 235994 times)

I need saves to test encounters in GS Reloaded!

Excellent Member

Coins: 20

« Reply #680 on: 22, May, 2020, 10:34:39 PM »

Whelp, this is a lot of (amazing) feedback. It's been a while since i played so i don't think that taking my time in answering will change much, i'd rather write immediately what comes to mind.

So:

double dragons in Mars Lighthouse
This fight is very tricky, no doubt about it. I clearly remember having my @#$ handed to me last time i played and i was about to nerf them cause they felt very unfair and overwhelming, especially right after fighting them in Jup Lighthouse. But i realized i made a fundamental mistake in the strategy i used, and by doing the exact opposite the second time, with the same team more or less, it became quite the easy win. I don't wanna give it away since you haven't beaten them yet, so all i can tell you is that strategy is key against them. Pick the wrong one and yes, you'll probably feel like it's completely hopeless. I don't know exactly how you approached them but this was my experience.

Rank 3 Psynergy should have higher costs relative to their effect
Interesting point. I honestly don't remember right now why i made them that way, so atm i tend to agree with you.

PP regen on equipment switched to other stats.
With PP doubling up as an offensive stat on top of being fuel, PP regen is needed. Healers are supposed to pick PP regen due to high cost of AOE healing, losing in offense, while offensive mages pick +PP equipment. Never running out of PP is a lesser issue for me. But it's still an issue... and my feeling is that addressing the point above might kill 2 birds with one stone.

(B) Reducing the factor of RNG in the outcome of combat
That's the hardest part to "balance". There will always be that unlucky streak when it feels unfair so i can only look at crude numbers, draw a line and say "this much is fine".

About HP/damage it sounds a bit odd to me... after JL is basically endgame but the stat progression follows a mostly linear growth. Actually i remember feeling that the "hardest" point of both games was the beginning, while as i progressed, with more options being available, fights tend to be safer and safer. For example... djinn are very unforgiving at the beginning but in lategame i can steamroll them with ease.

Instant death... it's been brought up many times before but i honestly still think it has a purpose. I think it's possible to tweak teams and classes to somehow improve the odds against it so it encourages variety. Your statement about stun and sleep wearing off on their own suggests that this might be mostly a gut reaction cause not addressing the issue immediately is much worse unless you're being insanely pressured. Aka either the fight is so easy you can take you time and let the issue solve itself (so it's not an issue at all) or it wouldn't have made much a difference wheter it's death or stun since you're facing too much pressure nonetheless. HP to 1 already exists within the game and has a different purpose... dunno honestly how the unavoidable curse will change or improve the current mechanics, need time to think about it.

enemies should call for reinforcements more often
gut reaction to this and the +50% HP suggestion was that random encounters might become a chore. Also, there are technical limitations for numbers of enemies in a fight and depends mostly on enemy size. It's easy for oozes to be in groups of 5 but there are some enemies where the screen will glitch at 3. Oozes are actually the exception.

Levelling speed doubled, levelup bonuses halved.
Lv99 is not required at all, as is most RPGs. 99 is just a number, it exists for those that enjoy the grind. There's no point in tweaking the entire game only to ease Lv99 if end result is the same as current Lv 50 or 60. Stat bonuses already take a big hit after lv 40 and are affected by diminishing returns. Powerlevelers should be a bit rewarded for their efforts and the game is balanced for those that avoid the grind route. Yeah, on this front i think that status quo is best.

Maybe each cursed item should autoboost luck to 40. [...] Is it possible to also change the "cannot act because cursed" effect of cursed items to something else like "loses 25% of their max hp due to curse"?
Won't happen, actually the ring decreases luck (power has a price), and the turn loss basically guarantees that the cursed user has the ring. I'm a big supporter of this kind of "make a choice" gameplay elements since you can farm both stuff for mage and warrior but use only one at any time. Glorified poison (the hp loss) would take that away imo.

Is it possible to re-code the djinn set-standby-recovery [...] This would block the above tactic I mentioned of cheesing fights with interchanging Shade and Flash, which in turn would make other defensive Djinn and abilities more appealing.
I feel like i can easily achieve that goal by nerfing a bit more those djinn, since those are the only one responsible for the problem.

Once again, thank you for the awesome mod to one of the best JRPGs ever.
I'm glad you enjoyed it so far and i'm the one thanking you for taking the time to write this report, seriously. Thanks a lot! :D
« Last Edit: 22, May, 2020, 11:03:57 PM by Caledor » Logged
View Profile

New User

Coins: 0

« Reply #681 on: Today at 09:01:13 AM »

Hello all,

I have been using the hack for GS1 and was wondering what happened with enemy spawns. I cannot seem to be able to get a specific enemy when hard resetting, I assume this is intended, since Caledor points to a RNG guide instead of going for vanilla methods. Is this the case and if so, how do I even calculate the RNG by the time I get the enemy I want? Or are hard resets a thing from the past that don't really matter? I was under the impression RNG values changed with previous encounters.

This is because I am seeing things like this in the guide:

"To sum it all up:

-Hard Reset (turn GBA off/on)
-Battle Start
-Six Attack Psynergies
-Djinni unleash (DP method)
-Enemy dies
-Item dropped at end of battle"

Doesn't that mean that I need the required enemy in the first battle after a hard reset?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: Today at 10:01:41 AM by Condrak » Logged
View Profile

Excellent Member

« Reply #682 on: Today at 12:29:34 PM »

RNG values haven't changed. What changed is damage and HP, so strict methods with a specific chain of actions to do that guarantee the kill on the last one, don't work anymore.

As for enemies, they might have changed after a hard reset cause i rearranged enemy groups.
View Profile

New User

« Reply #683 on: Today at 12:47:25 PM »

RNG values haven't changed. What changed is damage and HP, so strict methods with a specific chain of actions to do that guarantee the kill on the last one, don't work anymore.

As for enemies, they might have changed after a hard reset cause i rearranged enemy groups.

Sorry but that's not what I was asking, your last sentence is the one I care about.

My question is, are you able to get any item now that the enemy we need is not appearing the first battle after a hard reset?

I tried for the 2 Fenrirs(whatever they are called) in Altmiller cave for prophet's hat and also tried for the kikuichimonji, but they never appear in the first battle after a reset. I don't really care about how they are, the whole game has been really fun with your mod, I just want to know how am I supposed to get any item now that the order in which they appear after a reset makes them the 4th encounter or more. Thanks though!

Edit: I might not be explaining myself clearly, every time I hard reset in either Altmiller or Venus lighthouse, the first enemy is a specific one, the order of the following battles always follows the same pattern too. So, for example, in Altmiller cave, the 2 fenrirs appear always at the 4th battle when trying the hard reset method in the Djinn room
« Last Edit: Today at 12:50:27 PM by Condrak » Logged
View Profile

Excellent Member

« Reply #684 on: Today at 01:17:24 PM »

Sorry but that's not what I was asking, your last sentence is the one I care about.

My question is, are you able to get any item now that the enemy we need is not appearing the first battle after a hard reset?

I tried for the 2 Fenrirs (whatever they are called) in Altmiller cave for prophet's hat and also tried for the kikuichimonji, but they never appear in the first battle after a reset. I don't really care about how they are, the whole game has been really fun with your mod, I just want to know how am I supposed to get any item now that the order in which they appear after a reset makes them the 4th encounter or more. Thanks though!

Edit: I might not be explaining myself clearly, every time I hard reset in either Altmiller or Venus lighthouse, the first enemy is a specific one, the order of the following battles always follows the same pattern too. So, for example, in Altmiller cave, the 2 fenrirs appear always at the 4th battle when trying the hard reset method in the Djinn room

I don't think fleeing consumes RNG other than the one for the "got first strike" in the first fight after a reset, so you can keep fleeing until you get the desired fight and start counting RNG from 1.

In the worst case scenario, there's always the brute force method. That is, count your rngs until 31 and tweak stuff from there with savestates, like adding or subtracting a few by altering your actions slightly.
View Profile

New User

« Reply #685 on: Today at 01:20:44 PM »

I don't think fleeing consumes RNG other than the one for the "got first strike" in the first fight after a reset, so you can keep fleeing until you get the desired fight and start counting RNG from 1.

In the worst case scenario, there's always the brute force method. That is, count your rngs until 31 and tweak stuff from there with savestates, like adding or subtracting a few by altering your actions slightly.

Ah I see, thank you sir. I will try then. I just thought the hard reset before battle was a requirement to have the RNG "clean" by the time you kill the enemy with the item.

Oh and really, amazing mod so far, will go for the lost age after this. It gave the game a much needed refresh and a harder difficulty. I love it, thanks a lot for your efforts.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:22:17 PM by Condrak » Logged
View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Chatbox
27, April, 2020, 07:54:10 PM
Daddy Poi: I'm having a thought. So I know Atrius's editor is slow at saving sprites.... So I've been thinking.   I am considering another console program.  This time, for importing and exporting sprites/animations. Image files (for sprites), binary files (for animation data), and maybe binary or text files for Settings. Would certainly be cool if it works out. - Console programs are fun, when you can (at least temporarily) cheat out making a full interface editor for them. =P
25, April, 2020, 10:42:07 PM
Daddy Poi: Tried to list those in order of importance, but anyway....
25, April, 2020, 10:37:59 PM
Daddy Poi: GSHC, GS Speedrunning, /r/Golden Sun, GS United Nations, ToK.  Sixth one is border-line I'm not sure.
25, April, 2020, 08:00:21 PM
Daddy Poi: (low as in <100)
25, April, 2020, 08:00:04 PM
Daddy Poi: So while there are quite a few GS Communities out there. There are only up to maybe ~6 Discords worth even the consideration of joining, I think. Most of the rest of them have a fairly low member count. (Of which I can tell?)
14, April, 2020, 10:49:35 AM
Daddy Poi: The Essential Age could be what it stands for?
13, April, 2020, 05:23:32 PM
Misery: Tea editor... that's a cute name for it
01, April, 2020, 02:42:50 AM
JupiterDjinn: Also my browser is sending two o f my messages srry.
01, April, 2020, 02:42:48 AM
JupiterDjinn: Also my browser is sending two o f my messages srry.
01, April, 2020, 02:42:09 AM
JupiterDjinn: Just got the reply. Ok my question is: how can I get the tea editor on Android, because I already have an emulator. But no computer.
01, April, 2020, 02:42:06 AM
JupiterDjinn: Just got the reply. Ok my question is: how can I get the tea editor on Android, because I already have an emulator. But no computer.
31, March, 2020, 07:18:29 PM
Salanewt: Sure thing!
31, March, 2020, 03:38:30 PM
JupiterDjinn: Can I have a question answered?
31, March, 2020, 03:38:27 PM
JupiterDjinn: Can I have a question answered?
28, March, 2020, 12:50:15 AM
Salanewt: I want to shrink it down in size later, but yup!
28, March, 2020, 12:50:13 AM
Salanewt: I want to shrink it down in size later, but yup!
26, March, 2020, 03:24:45 PM
Daddy Poi: The news box is back? :D
19, March, 2020, 05:59:16 PM
Salanewt: Nice work hiding the searchbots Atrius!
19, March, 2020, 04:23:34 PM
Salanewt: I was wondering when I said that stuff! May need to work it out with Kain.
19, March, 2020, 07:03:05 AM
Daddy Poi: (The simplest being to not accept char IDs pass 255, I think.)
19, March, 2020, 05:33:15 AM
Daddy Poi: Heheh.... I'm just testing. You pretty much gave it away. Hahah. It seems to look fairly convincing, but I'm sure there's an easy solution to preventing it.
19, March, 2020, 05:28:50 AM
Atrius: Whelp, there it goes... Just what I didn't want.  Have fun with that I guess...   
19, March, 2020, 05:20:25 AM
Daddy Poi: So like. Replace the "e" with another "e"? Alright. Gotcha.
19, March, 2020, 05:04:41 AM
Daddy Poi: Good work.
19, March, 2020, 04:44:10 AM
Atrius: Nah, any member could change their name to what I did, there's a trick to it.  I just fixed it so that now the Cbox will use your new name if you change it though, so... That part of the problem is fixed.
19, March, 2020, 04:41:53 AM
Daddy Poi: For which? It may be that normal users can't change their names to used names, but admins can?
19, March, 2020, 04:39:57 AM
Atrius: Sorry if the Cbox keeps breaking, I'm trying to make that be less of a thing.
19, March, 2020, 04:02:04 AM
Daddy Poi: Looks like ID Fraud. You're under arrest. :D  Oh wait.
19, March, 2020, 03:57:56 AM
Atrius: Yup, that's a thing.
19, March, 2020, 03:57:08 AM
Atrius: Just testing something, for science.

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise