News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

[RELEASE] Golden Sun Reloaded

Started by Caledor, 22, December, 2016, 03:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VardenSalad

Never forget why you started playing.

VardenSalad

Hey, could you take a look at Haunting that the Doomsayers use? On one use it did 250 damage to Piers, while a later use in the same battle only did about 80.

I'm wondering if maybe there are two separate instances of Haunting with different base power that just happen to be in its moveset?

Caledor

That should be the case but Doomsayer has only 1 instance of haunting with BP 70. I also tested it briefly and nothing strange happened, so without further proof I can't do much about this one.

VardenSalad

Alright, look like the site is back up.

Okay, so, I can't tell if it's just my ROM, just my emulator, or what, but as you can see in the pics, something is broken with weapon unleashes. It seems to affect every weapon, but only some of the time. I've repatched and the same problems occur. Additionally, it seems Wheeze also suffers from an issue where it alternates between showing the animation correctly and using the standard critical attack animation (where it zooms in on the person attacking).

Also, consistently and independent of region, but as soon as i get off the boat to start walking around on land, there's a decent shot of running into an enemy party that is always, 100% of the time Gillman-Turtle Dragon-Nightmare in that order. And they will crush you into the dirt if you see them when you're early levelled after just getting Piers. First thing i Did was try to go to Taopo Swamp, and leaving north of Yallam dropped that party on my head.

There's Fire Worms in Gaia Rock which are screwing with the level progression and difficulty since they seems to swarm everywhere, give twice as much XP as a Cerberus and 4 times that of an Undead, almost 3 times a Wood Walker, Angle Spike deals 220+ damage consistently on characters with 280 min and 410 max, and on and on. I swear I gained 5 levels from that dungeon alone and am sitting at 28-28-27-27 before doing the Ankhol Ruins, the Briggs event, Treasure Island, really anything. If you were pushing for one dungeon to give xp by the truckload, you've got one.

You might want to tone down some of the monsters in Tundaria. They're basically pushing 1/2 to 2/3 of any characters hp, appear in groups almost always, and will guaranteed be faster than you. There's a difference between difficult and overbearing. Getting 2 shot before anyone on the team can act and/or cycling Shade pretty much constantly is pushing into micromanaging territory.

Lastly is an overall feel I'm getting as i progress through the actually rather linear Eastern Sea: I get better and better items, specifically weapons and armor, but enemies are not taking any more damage from me as i progress to new dungeons than old enemies were in old dungeons. At the heart of RPG progression is seeing the numbers of damage you can output increase with better equipment and using enemy HP to temper your gains by letting you do more actual damage, but do less as a percentage of total HP. IE, if I'm level 30 in a level 30 dungeon, let me do a basic attack that deals 150 on an enemy that has 1500 hp. In a level 20 dungeon, let me do 100 damage on an enemy with 800 HP. And so on. Scaling defense gain harder than scaling HP gain for enemies is turning this into a wearying experience because i just don't seem to be doing more damage. I already know that basic attacks aren't ideal, but make my equipment upgrades mean something beyond scaling for djinn attacks.

And find ways to make mountain Waters either drop more often of be buyable in stores. Need that since healing is so expensive.

My most recent explicit save point in the past is Gondowan Cliffs. I can link that if you'd like, but I'm well beyond that point now.

I can give feedback on anything specifically you'd like, just let me know.

Caledor

Ok let's go by order. From what I can see there are at least 3 separate issues: weapon unleashes, enemy groups misplaced (Fire Worm, the turtle dragon monster trio) and enemy in the right place but too strong (Tundaria).

The second one is easy... the enemy group table is messed up. I don't know why cause i'm positive i pasted that one correctly, but it's an easy fix: I just have to paste it again.

About the first one, please upload your current save and give me a list of weapons that gave you that issue. By memory is enough, it doesn't need to be inclusive: i just want a small group of weapon to test with higher priority.

About the third one, I fully agree with you about on enemy strength so i guess it's about time i start my own playtrough and see for myself, lol. Could you please upload your endgame TBS save so I can use it to start directly with TLA?

Also, what were your leves while progressing through the Eastern Sea? It's really important cause that's where i started messing heavily with exp. I planned for 18~20 to 28 from start to end (Lemuria). Other checkpoints are 22~23 for entering Aqua Rock, 24~25 for entering Gaia Rock, then +1 each for Izumo Ruins and Tundaria.

I'll give more details as i dig deeper into those issues but for starters i really need those 2 saves.

Thanks a lot for reporting as always!

VardenSalad

Alright, away from computer now, and I can't find a way to move files via my phone file structure to attach. I'll get a save at Sea of Time Islet cave, one at Gondowan Cliffs without Piers (that's the most recent older save that I have, quite a bit behind current), and the Broken Seal endgame file.

For weapon unleashes that I know have this issue: the Cloud Wand, Staff of Anubis (obviously), and the Robber's Blade. Also, the Djinn Char seems to have the same issue with that spiked damage (Felix pushing 400+ unbuffed randomly) and Wheeze has the animation problem I mentioned earlier.

When I get the chance, I'll probably head back to Dalia and test unleash damage for the weapons tiny monsters.

For levels, I can guess I was at about 23/24 before doing Gaia Rock and at 27/28 afterwards. My order of dungeons was [Boat/Gabomba/Aqua Rock/Tundaria/Gaia Rock/Treasure Island (for a short bit since it's Grind-locked)/Avimander]. Currently have 6 djinn apiece and am headed to Ankohl.

VardenSalad

Here you go with those save files.

Caledor

Thanks a lot, i'll let know here how it goes as i make progress with the fixes

VardenSalad

I have a feeling that the Fire Worms have upset the level curve rather severely.

Caledor

Quote from: VardenSalad on 04, April, 2017, 11:06:54 AM
I have a feeling that the Fire Worms have upset the level curve rather severely.
Cause they're shouldn't be there. Fire worms are level 32 enemies, you're supposed to meet them for the first time in Magma Rock

EDIT: BTW the order for eastern sea enemy level wise is Gabomba, Taopo, Aqua, Gaia, Ankhol, Tundaria, Avimander, (Lemuria), Treasure.

VardenSalad

Hmm, I'll have to remember that ordering, because I normally run Aqua to Tundaria (after Gabomba and Taopo) just to get mileage out of Parch immediately as well as start the trading sidequest. It ultimately doesn't matter too much as long as the level swings aren't radically higher.

Let me know when you get a save file immediately after you beat the Hydra on Piers' ship. I'll run the Eastern Sea again (starting with taking the boat back to do Gabomba Catacombs).

Caledor

The ordering isn't strict. I just told you cause if you go straight to tundaria after aqua rock i might easily dismiss "enemies are too strong" comments cause you're underleveled.

About the issues:

I brutally pasted all the groups from my (Italian) rom once again and they appear to be fixed now.

It seems i can't to replicate the visual unleash bug nor the spike damage displayed in your screenshot. How often did those bugs happen to you? 1:3? 1:10? 1:20? To know if I should try more or dismiss it for now. Ditto for wheeze and char.

I'll be uploading a hotfix in minutes to you can immediately play an improved game. If any of those issues persist it might be the rom's fault, so upload the patched rom somewhere and send me the link to my email address

Edit: Fix is up

Caledor

On my 600th post, Golden Sun Reloaded loses its Beta status!

With the latest patch, leveling isn't dependent on RNG anymore and will always reach the goal stats shown in the editor at levels 19, 39, 59... etc.

This will happen only in a new game though, on a game started on the Beta version level up will be fixed from the patch onwards, but it won't fix the RNG based levels you've already gained.

Credit for the new level up formula goes to leaf, full discussion is here.

Rolina

Oh, nice.  Good to see that it can't be abused anymore - I normally don't really have a problem with the way it's normally done, but when you add the luck stat this is kinda important to not break the game.

MadJak91

Hello!

I am keeping track of this hack since the previous thread ended and now I am at the end of the game :D
Recently updated to the current version.
This post also has an end-game save attached (only Dullahan left as I cannot beat him right now so tips are also appreciated...). Hopefully it can help somehow.

I do not think I have anything new to add at the moment but noticed a few description mistakes here and there. Like the Alastor's Hood says it boosts Luck when it does not, I think.
Was Mythril Blade removed from the game? I could not get it so I uh, edited one in and it turned into a ? item, haha.

I went by the opening post and I think got all the new items (RNG manipulation) but is there anything else?

Here is a thought on Darksword.
[spoiler]Why did you change its unleash to Jupiter?
Now that a lot of unleashes are potentially stronger due to better elements handling, it would be a good candidate for the other Venus Adept if you choose the "cursed warrior" setup. More consistent than Tisiphone Edge. If you want to leave it Jupiter then maybe the Terror Shield should boost that instead of Mercury.
I guess you wanted a proper Jupiter sword that is consistent unlike Excalibur. Mercury has Caladbolg now and Masamune.
What is some other alternative to Tisiphone Edge for those who are not using Sol Blade?

I understand a lot depends on setups but from the basic perspective. It is of course very debatable so that is why I am asking.

This is how I currently see it in terms of "ultimate" weapons:
Mercury Mage Weapon -> Nebula Wand
Venus Mage Weapon -> Ker's Weight
Jupiter Mage Weapon -> Lachesis' Rule
Mars Mage weapon -> Atropos' Rod

Mercury Warrior Weapon (consistent)/(inconsistent) -> Caladbolg / Masamune
Venus Warrior Weapon -> Sol Blade / Tisiphone Edge
Jupiter Warrior Weapon -> Darksword / Excalibur
Mars Warrior weapon -> Alecto's Mace / None?

Like this I can see the reasoning so... I guess I need to rephrase it to: What is the next good Venus weapon for a warrior?[/spoiler]

No comment on armor and stuff because wow, I think most of it makes perfect sense!

Thanks for the hack :D

Caledor

Before everything else, thanks for playing this mod till the very end and glad you enjoyed it.

Now, about your questions:

I opened the ROM in my editor and Alastor's Hood has the correct description so... i don't really know. You sure it's alastor? and most important, did you see other mistakes? if yes, where?

Mythril Blade wasn't removed. Actually, i don't recall "removing" anything, unless it became something else like the supernova axe into Herculean Axe.

Darksword: yes it went to jupiter cause i didn't like having the top 2 strongest swords with the same element. IIRC before the caladbolg was added, i had already changed the darksword's element to mercury.

Other than that i don't think i've ever thought about splitting weapons into reliable and unreliable.
I don't even consider masamune an endgame weapon cause the gap from tisiphone is way too big... the other endgame mercury weapon is the Rising Mace. For Mars instead the other spot obviously belongs to the Herculean Axe.

Another reason for Darksword not staying as Venus is cause Ker's Weight is also (forced) venus and i wanted to variate a bit for cursed equipments. Also, i don't see the problem on the shield cause you'd probably get the jupiter bonus from the helm anyway. And if you skipped the helm cause you didn't like the HP loss, i'm telling you that i placed Jupiter there on purpose :P

Also, for me the endgame mercury staff is more Clotho's Distaff rather than nebula wand cause i tend to use staves as support rather than unleashing but they're really close in terms of power so it's fine.

So, my answer to your "What is the next good Venus weapon for a warrior?"... you guessed it, for me it's Tisiphone.

I'll try your dullahan when i have some free time and let you know here how it goes ;)

MadJak91

My bad! It is Gloria Helm. The description says Boosts Luck, Replenishes PP but it actually replenishes HP and no Luck bonus.

Alright. I will try to get Mythril Blade then. I could not and using the save editor gave me a glitched item instead :D

I see your point about Darksword so I guess that is clear now as well!

Caledor

You're right, i forgot to update Gloria and Millennium Helm's description after their changes for Reloaded. Thanks man!

PS. Mythril Blade's description too... I might make a quick fix for those. Let me know if you spot more!

PPS: i just tried hacking in a mythril blade via save editor and i got the blank coin as well, this is something worth investigating.

Edit: tried forging a hacked in mythril silver, got the blade at first try so it's confirmed being in.

MadJak91

Awesome! I will give it a try then!

Hm... Let's see. Did some snooping around in the store (could only check what I have there):
Dragon Robe - Minor thing. "bestows" is not capitalized :D
Dragon Scales - Resists Fire BUT the armor also resists Water! This description is actually correct in the first game, haha!
Arcadia Mail - No mention it also boosts Luck!
Bone Armlet - No mention it also boosts Earth power!
Herbed Shirt - Debatable. Replenishes HP does explain HP regen but maybe word it in a way that also shows you can use it in battle.

Speaking of the first game... Unfortunately, I only have a cleared save left so no access to shops so no idea if there are any mistakes BUT I think I might have seen one so someone else will have to provide OR I will hack in all items on a fresh file right away when I have the time. I do not think you added any new ones there.

EDIT: Which save file editor do you have? I have GSSGEdit 2.0a for a long time now and it seems to be the only one? You also cannot hack in the new stuff but I guess that makes sense because it does not know it is there.

Caledor

bestows fixed, dragon scales fixed.

arcadia and bone are fire cause i omit passive bonus in the description when there's a on-use effect.

herbed is kinda fine: the description is ok cause i removed the on use effect but i still had to fix something.

@Save editor: same as yours and yes everything you said is correct.

Thanks a lot for your tips!

Edit: patches updated