News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

[RELEASE] Golden Sun Reloaded

Started by Caledor, 22, December, 2016, 03:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caledor

@Varden: IMO the best (only) place is the description. About the bottom line in the status menu, it's the english translation's fault. There are 3 lines, meant to be used for "town/dungeon", "T/D/Battle", "Battle only". The english localization compressed the first two into "town" and uses "battle" only for the last one. You can see for yourself in the editor.

@bpat: thanks for playing with the mod and for the massive feedback. Let's see...

• Flash: VERY strange. As far as i know, those effects have no way to discriminate between types of damage. I'll check.
  • TBS Endgame Bosses: makes me think that i should reduce their power and increase the number of turns they act (to reduce Ground's effectiveness).

• Mages: That is being fixed right now. Lower levels for learning psy, especially for those learnt later than 30, and Base power directly increased by max PP.
  • Yampi in 1.6: I did yampi on 1.6 and had no issues. Remember that you can go to Mikasalla before Yampi, where you can grab new gear and a djinn. Going to Yampi before Mikasalla is like going to Imil before Kolima forest, so it's to be expected that it'll be difficult.

Progress for v1.61: The new BD formula is in.
I'm also almost done with updating ALL the classes for the psynergy learning levels. Only item classes in tla missing. It's been a nightmare.
After item classes i'll have to update the psynergies themselves.

bpat

Huh I totally forgot about Mikasalla. Next time I'll be sure to go there first. I just beat Briggs and found him and the King Scorpion to both be trivially easy compared to random encounters in Yampi Desert. King Scorpion could probably get an extra turn because he doesn't even do as much damage as a Momonga or Emu. Briggs and his Sea Fighters spent a lot of time healing and defending which made the fight very easy since I rarely had to cast Boon.

I don't think giving TBS end bosses extra turns would help fix the Ground/Flash cheese since then Granite would replace Ground and be almost as effective. Flash is the bigger offender since for unknown reasons it reduced psynergy damage to 30 or less so if that is fixed then these encounters would be fine.

Oh one other thing I forgot is that Crossbone Isle before Deadbeard is pretty easy. I figured that getting the Mystery Blade before getting to Tolbi was intended but the encounters after that could be a bit harder.

Rolina

Honestly, the problem with Ground isn't one of bosses and turn count - rather, it's the overabundance of solo bosses.  GS really needs more multi-foe boss fights. :/

Upping turn count just defeats the point of ground's very existence.  Even so much as giving bosses two turns can be enough to render ground a waste of time.  Only one, and it becomes too strong.  If you have multiple foes, however, that changes things.  Two foes with one turn each is enough to keep ground very much balanced.  Or at least, that's my musings on the issue.

leaf

Gonna agree with role that foes with 3+ turns pretty much nullify ground's existence. At 2 turns, you're still cutting out a significant amount of damage by tying up one of them, but at three turns it's functionally a 33% damage reduction... which is just plain inferior to using a barrier djinni.

Multiple foes also gives another lever for balancing mages; they wouldn't need their big AOEs to be hitting for the same damage as unleashes to keep up in boss fights if AOE actually had a purpose there.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Rolina

Plus, if the foes are doing different things, who you use ground against is arguably more important than just using ground itself.  For instance, let's say there were two foes in the boss fight - one who did heavy hits, and one who focuses more on healing and buffs.  If you needed emergency healing yourself, using ground on the attack would be more important.  Else, targeting the healer would probably be the optimal strat.

Caledor

@Ground: What you all said makes a lot of sense. So let me ask you: do you think that wall effects are fine as they are now (50% Granite & Shade, 66% Flash) or should they still be a little lower?

About v1.61: everything's done. Holding back the release to check Flash in TBS

VardenSalad

Alright, bpat is correct. King Scorpion now does very, very little damage and I'm not sure why. Maybe I'm underestimating the effects of items.

Emus, Raptors, and Momangas are scary as hell, specifically Emus for doing just a ton of damage. Mikasalla's shop needs tweaked somehow; it only has Adept's Clothes and a Broadsword, which even if it's sort of accurate to old Mikasalla, just sort of looks wrong.
Never forget why you started playing.

Caledor

Varden or anyone else, please upload a save in Yampi or a bit earlier (char lv 8-9). I'll test those encounter once again cause i really had no issues with the area.

And yes, Flash in TBS reduces by 66% only physical damage, and by 90% base damage.

VardenSalad

Wish you had let me know a bit ago :/ Middle of Air's Rock now.

bpat

On the subject of Ground, Granite, etc, I think they're fine as they are as long as Flash gets fixed to reduce base damage attacks by only 66%. Nerfing Ground wouldn't matter since Granite exists and Granite isn't oppressively strong. The Ground/Flash combo was so good because against bosses with two turns like Saturos and Menardi you would take 10% damage then 50% damage assuming no physical attacks. The only threatening physical attack from a late-game enemy is Deadbeard's Sweep, so you can assume you take almost 0 damage on one turn and half damage on the other turn, but if stuff like Spark Plasma starts hitting for 80 instead of 25 on a Flash turn then you'd have to spend more turns and PP healing.

I forgot to keep saves from Yampi Desert but if I find another zone or boss to be too easy or too hard I'll be sure to upload a save of my party in that area.

Caledor

v1.61 is UP

It's all about the new base damage formula, which adds MaxPP/8 to the power of each base damage psynergy.
In TLA lowering the target level for the endgame is a way to reduce the gap between unleashes and EPAs/BD psynergies.

Includes Bramble card fix in TLA and Flash fix in TBS.

@Flash: that thing was ridiculous. There are FIVE separate functions used by Flash, Granite, & Defense command, which are called depending on damage type or effect. I still don't know when 1 of those is used but i changed them all so there shouldn't be more issues.

@Varden. If i'm to ask you everytime, i'll always be late... that's why i put a reminder under my profile pic. Still, it's fine. It will just be longer cause i have to start over again.

VardenSalad

Yeah, I'll have one for the Mimic fight in Air's Rock uploaded when I get home. This Mimic has Fiery Blast, which just wrecked my party.

Caledor

Quote from: VardenSalad on 13, June, 2017, 12:18:29 PM
Yeah, I'll have one for the Mimic fight in Air's Rock uploaded when I get home. This Mimic has Fiery Blast, which just wrecked my party.
Oops that's true. And there's obviously the lv 34 one with Mad Blast too. Fixed both.
If that's the only issue in Air's rock there's no need for a save.

VardenSalad

Quite odd, but I'm pretty sure Felix using Sour just used the critical hit animation instead of Sour's djinn animation. Testing to confirm.

bpat

I currently don't have a good internet connection to upload the save but I'll do so when I get home. The Yampi Desert Jupiter Djinn should either not have two turns or not have much weaker psynergy like Slash and Bolt instead of Punishment and Flash Bolt. Punishment + Flash Bolt kills characters under 110 HP and it has high enough agility that you can't reliably heal before it attacks. Something like Punishment + Flash Bolt/Plasma would drop someone to 30 or so health from max, then any psynergy would down them sometimes before I could heal (seemed random if Sheba or the Djinn went first). I had both Felix and Sheba healing with only Jenna attacking (spamming Juggle) and I still needed to use savestates to win with my level 9 party.

Also, what filesharing sites would you recommend for uploading the save?

Caledor

Quote from: bpat on 14, June, 2017, 06:46:58 PM
I currently don't have a good internet connection to upload the save but I'll do so when I get home. The Yampi Desert Jupiter Djinn should either not have two turns or not have much weaker psynergy like Slash and Bolt instead of Punishment and Flash Bolt. [...] to win with my level 9 party.

At 9 you are seriously underleveled for Yampi, 11 is the level for enemies in the area. The djinn itself is fine, cause it's a lot weaker than Quartz in TBS despite the 2 being only 1 level apart (which makes sense, cause you fight Quartz as a 4 man party with 2 djinn each.

That said, unless the recent changes to the PP formula had that much of an impact to those early djinn.

QuoteAlso, what filesharing sites would you recommend for uploading the save?

No need for filesharing sites for a 64kB upload, just attach it to the post itself. To attach a file, click on "Additional Options..." while posting.

@Varden: I tried for 30 minutes with no success, so let me know if it happens again.

VardenSalad

Yeah, I did the same. Couldn't get it to happen. I'll pay attention in the future.

bpat

Yeah I think my problem is probably that I'm underleveled for the Djinn fights. Weirdly I still didn't have a problem with King Scorpion and Briggs despite having a level 10 party but I think that's the nature of fights against single-turn bosses. Both could possibly use a bit more max HP to make PP management a bit harder since I tended to win shortly after running low on PP. I take it level 13-14 is underleveled for the Mercury Djinn after Gondowan Cliffs? I also struggled with the Gondowan Cliffs Mars Djinn at level 13 but somehow managed to beat it.

The save I attached has my level 9 party at the Yampi Desert Jupiter Djinn in the second slot and my level 13-14 party at the Gondowan Cliffs Mercury Djinn third slot.

leaf

QuoteThat said, unless the recent changes to the PP formula had that much of an impact to those early djinn.

Honestly it wouldn't be surprising if suddenly inflicting an extra 10-15 damage broke some early fights. Unlike some games, characters in GS do not get significantly more powerful with levels, so being underleveled shouldn't change much. However, the combination of being underleveled plus the extra damage the djinni puts out, might be enough to put it over the edge. Bpat's party was probably ~10 HP under where you expect them to be, so in tandem with attacks doing another 10-15 damage from the maxPP bonus, that could easily hit a kill breakpoint.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Caledor

Area levels in my mod are the same as the vanilla game. So:

Yampi 11, Air's Rock 14, Gondowan Cliffs 16, Naribwe 16, Kibombo 17, Gabomba Statue 18...

@Leaf: you even guessed the numbers right. I think there might be an issue for djinn in the 11-16 range, cause 11 is the level where djinn start having 2 turns and 16 is the last djinn level before gaining access to area heal.