News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

[RELEASE] Golden Sun Reloaded

Started by Caledor, 22, December, 2016, 03:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fionordequester

I don't remember Hydros a Statue being as deadly and unpredictable as Killer Ape; but it IS definitely very difficult to kill.  It's got a lot of HP, and has a bad habit of dragging things out with repeated Pure Ply castings.

Caledor

@Chrono i tried briefly but i couldn't replicate the bug. Try patching a clean rom again and let me know if it keeps happening. Good luck with TLA!

@MadJak There isn't really a detailed list but they are very few. Another item that can't be found anymore in TLA is the cursed staff. Anyway, if you keep spotting drops that don't behave as you'd expect report them to me, so i can fix the list on the first post. And yes, Gloria Helm was missing from the list as well. It's dropped by Ghost Army in JL.

Chronotakular

Quote from: Caledor on 16, September, 2017, 05:26:50 AM
@Chrono i tried briefly but i couldn't replicate the bug. Try patching a clean rom again and let me know if it keeps happening. Good luck with TLA!

The first time I caught it, I had trouble replicating it as well, but then when I saw it again I took screenshots because I knew I might not come across it again. Not a huge deal in terms of a bug though!

Quote from: Fionordequester on 16, September, 2017, 03:50:01 AM
I don't remember Hydros a Statue being as deadly and unpredictable as Killer Ape; but it IS definitely very difficult to kill.  It's got a lot of HP, and has a bad habit of dragging things out with repeated Pure Ply castings.

Killer Ape did give me some trouble, but I just remember Hydros Statue spamming Aqua Breath and wiping my team, even with a 2 wish setup.

MadJak91

What is the intended behavior of the Olympus Rage unleash?
Because it seems to be capable of instant death. That is alright but... the effect also just worked on Dullahan. Makes him really easy if it connects, haha.

Caledor

Yeah, it has the instant death property but it shouldn't work on enemies with 40+ luck. i just checked the ailment table and it's correct, so i don't know what's the cause atm. i'll have to investigate.

Rolina

Check dullahan's resistances maybe?  Might have typoed them and accidently made him vulnerable to it... :/

MadJak91

Unless you fix it in the meantime, I will try using other instant death unleashes on him if I have the time. Although I guess it does not matter what weapon you have? It is about some fault in his resistance... Dunno.

Question: How concerned are you with mistakes or typos in the script? There are a few mistakes I spotted at the very end when using the Mind Ribbon on Prox villagers but since this is mostly a gameplay patch,  I suspect script mistakes were always there.

Caledor

Quote from: MadJak91 on 25, September, 2017, 03:48:32 PM
Unless you fix it in the meantime, I will try using other instant death unleashes on him if I have the time. Although I guess it does not matter what weapon you have? It is about some fault in his resistance... Dunno.
Please do. Atropos' Rod, Condemn... or even other effects that he's supposed to be immune to, like poison or death curse if you want. For most effects there are 2 separate istances, one with a lower trigger rate that is attached to damaging abilities (which means that using atropos rod or herculean axe is the same thing for the purposes of this test), and another one paired with effect only abilities (condemn).

Question: How concerned are you with mistakes or typos in the script? There are a few mistakes I spotted at the very end when using the Mind Ribbon on Prox villagers but since this is mostly a gameplay patch,  I suspect script mistakes were always there.
Ignoring changes for sake of consistency, i haven't touched dialogues for a simple reason: i don't play with the english version. So I won't fix anything on my own but if you spot a mistake and ask for a fix, 99% of the time my reply will be "sure, why not" and you'll have it fixed in the following release. Maybe just copy paste the sentence or provide a screen when reporting so i can find it easily in the editor.

Chronotakular

I think I found a bug in TLA.

Using Mud on Orochi(?) (The Serpent in Gaia Rock) does nothing to him. No damage or agility dropped. I've done it 3 separate times and nothing.

Caledor

Agility drop can fail. It has a base 130% success rate though. The damage part was a bug instead and is already fixed for the next release.
@MadJak I just checked the ailment formula and everything seemed to work. Let me know if something strange happens again.

Chronotakular

Cool. I figured it was something similar, I've seen the agility fail but the damage part was where I thought it might be a bug.

MadJak91

Alright!

I attached screens of the possible script mistakes. They sound wrong or awkward at least to me.

As for Dullahan...

Here is a very quick video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81beX3Jgtto

Once I have more time, I will try other status effects as you suggested but here is the Olympus Rage bug for now. I was able to reproduce it.
A couple of notes: No other patches were used. Just yours (current version). The recorded attempt is after NUMEROUS such attempts with the guys constantly attacking until Dullahan wiped them out. Then I restarted and did it again and again. So it is rare but possible... Hm.

Caledor

Thanks and please also attach the save you used to make that video so i can check it myself on the same conditions.

MadJak91

Sorry for the late reply.

I actually used the same save I uploaded here in the thread in the past when I was playing the hack for the first time.
Here you go! :D
http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=2779.msg47030#msg47030

I am already saved after Dullahan on the current one (where the glitch happened for the first time) so I downloaded that one.

Actually, this old save is RIGHT before him and you only need to save edit yourself four "Stellar" Axes or such!
I just used it with the current version of the patch and could reproduce the bug.

I hope that helps!

Caledor

Found and fixed the bug (for next release). Don't know if you're on discord, but i'll still leave an explanation here for future reference.

The root of the issue is that the RNG function generates a number from 0 to 99 and uses a >= to check.

Basically even if an effect has a flat 0% success rate, there's a 1% chance that the RNG generates 0, 0>=0 is true and the effect connects. This also implies that every chance is artificially increased by 1% cause 1% connects with 0 and 1 and 99% always connects.

Thanks for the report and for the saves, this was quite the tricky bug. ;)

MadJak91

Cool! So if people want a cheap Dullahan battle, now it is the last call ;D

And thanks for the explanation! Makes total sense.
Curious: Can the issue happen in the vanilla game as well or did you change the RNG function and now found the bug? I am thinking if it can be exploited on virtually any enemy. For the sake of theory, really.

I guess that completed my playthroughs for the time being but I will be on the lookout for more stuff if possible.
Thanks for the hack!

Caledor

I don't know how if the bug is in the vanilla game as well, cause i always used squirtle's simple effects patch. It's possible that the vanilla game somehow took into account the >= and acted accordingly, but Squirtle is more qualified than me to answer. It's a yes or no question though: if it works even once, it will work on anyone.

Still, the fact that an Instant Death on dullahan never been pointed out in 15+ years makes me think the bug was introduced later.

QuoteThanks for the hack!
You're welcome, hope you enjoyed it.

Caledor

v1.63 is up, it contains the bug fixes and other tweaks that have been discussed here recently, like the 1% ailment bug and the fix to Killer Ape.

I also considered for some time how to tweak debuffs, and in the end i went for a small % increase to the 2 stages debuffs (ST and Djinns) for the midgame and changing the lategame EPAs (Odissey, Unleashes) to be 1 stage decreases but with a much higher base chance, from 70% to 90%.

VardenSalad

Hey Cal. Nice to see this is still reasonably active. You ever do your full run-through of the games?
Never forget why you started playing.

Caledor

Quote from: VardenSalad on 25, October, 2017, 12:05:45 PM
Hey Cal. Nice to see this is still reasonably active. You ever do your full run-through of the games?

Hey Varden. I finished TBS plenty of times but i still haven't managed to do TLA once. My last playtrough stopped at Naribwe.