News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

[RELEASE] Golden Sun Reloaded

Started by Caledor, 22, December, 2016, 03:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karmaepsilon

Is there a list of the changes to levels you learn certain Psyenergies at for the existing classes? I'm not seeing Death Plunge as a Ninja and I'm already at 20   :Isaac: :MarsSet: :JupiterSet:
And do Seer classes no longer get Growth?

Caledor

Quote from: karmaepsilon on 06, January, 2018, 04:28:00 AM
Is there a list of the changes to levels you learn certain Psyenergies at for the existing classes? I'm not seeing Death Plunge as a Ninja and I'm already at 20   :Isaac: :MarsSet: :JupiterSet:
You can check psynergy sets with the class doc linked in the opening post and learning levels by opening the modded rom with Atrius' editor.

karmaepsilon

Quote from: Caledor on 06, January, 2018, 06:39:40 AM
Quote from: karmaepsilon on 06, January, 2018, 04:28:00 AM
You can check psynergy sets with the class doc linked in the opening post and learning levels by opening the modded rom with Atrius' editor.
Ah it's listed under Jonin whereas I've just become so used to it being listed as Ninja in other places. That last part seems inconvenient but alright
Sidenote: Oh gods y'all cranked Toadonpa's HP up a lot. Could not win that attrition war. (I like it, gonna have to actually grind a bit for once)

VardenSalad

Hydros Statue has me a bit perplexed. Can't seem to poison the bugger and Ply-usage makes me sad.
Never forget why you started playing.

Caledor

Changelog for v1.65b

Classes tweaked: Ninja, Valkirie, all Piers' tri-elemental

Corsair's Edge renamed to Sidereal Edge
Phaeton's Blade is now the strongest light blade (165 atk, x2.2 unleash)
Tisiphone Edge slightly weakened (-4 atk), Rising Mace improved
Pirate Sabre weakened to old Corsair's edge level
Sidereal Edge improved to old Phaeton's Blade level
Acheron's Grief multiplier increased to 2.2 but is non-elemental
Dark Robe boosts elemental power by 30
Berserker Circlet also boosts attack by 20. Unleash bonus lowered to +5%
Demonic Circlet boosts PP by 40, PP regen lowered to 5/turn
Mace's and Firebrand's unleashes boosted : +0.1 to every multiplier
Dragon's Mail now boosts HP & Criticals
Chronos Mail also resists earth and improves luck; hp bonus lowered
Erinyes Tunic bonus to crits increased
Dragon's Robe now boosts Fire power & res and replenishes PP
Dragon Shield now boosts Fire & Water resist
Swapped elemental boost for ailment bonus on warrior's cursed gear
Tweaked Millenia Helm & Alastor's Hood

Treasure changes:
Corsair's Edge in Lemuria -> Pirate Sabre
Pirate Sabre in Western Sea -> 500 Coins
Phaeton's Blade in J. Lighthouse -> Sidereal Edge
Orichalcum chest in Anemos Sanctum -> Phaeton's Blade

Djinn:
Mud and Chill swapped places

Explanation:
Originally you found a light blade in lemuria and then one immediately after acquiring Grind. Since those are too close to each other, I removed the Western sea one (replaced with coins) to make the Lemuria blade live a bit longer and create an endgame Jupiter Light Blade.

NB: due to the changes to treasure chests and djinn (especially djinn) you can't just upgrade v1.63 to v1.65 whenever you want. You have two things to look out for that might ruin your playthrough.
1st. You MUSTN'T upgrade when you have only one djinn among Mud and Chill, or you'll permanently lose the other one. Either before acquiring one of the two or after you have both.
2nd. In addition to the above statement, it is strongly recommended that you upgrade either before acquiring Phaeton's Blade in Jupiter Lighthouse OR after obtaining Darkmatter from Anemos Sanctum.

The reason behind the second point is that Phaeton's blade has been moved into the (former) Darkmatter chest in Anemos Sanctum and its strength has increased accordingly. That point is to avoid ending up with a very strong weapon too early or with two Phaeton's.

All things considered the best moments to upgrade midgame are either before Mud/Chill, whatever comes first, or after both Mud and Chill are acquired but before Lemuria, where you acquire the Pirate Sabre/Corsair's Edge, the first of the rearranged weapons.

v1.63 can be found in the attachment for backup.

VardenSalad

Hydros can easily put out 150+ damage on any single adept and I have enough djinn for 1 wish user in the fight. I can't tell how I'm supposed to win a damage race with this behemoth that I can't poison, has Break, and heals itself.

Yeah, I can't do 247 damage a turn and Hydros just casually heals it off with one of its two moves. Making no progress in this fight.

Caledor

TLA patch updated to v1.63 plus. Changelog and download link are in the message above.

@varden. ATM my opinion, after reading other people reports and from my memories of when i fought it, is that Hydros statue is challenging but winnable. It just poses the right amount of challenge. So i'm afraid i need more than a written report about this one. Either a save, or a video.

EDIT 10/1/2018: I completely forgot the promised changes to some pieces of midgame equipment in v1.63 plus, so i updated patches for both games to v1.65. TBS' is in the download section, TLA's in the same post where you found v1.63plus (scroll up from here) in the attachment, with an updated changelog.

EDIT 2: Updated again to v1.65b (both games) for minor equipment tweaks and a few class tweaks. Patches links/changelogs at same places as v1.65 described above.

Caledor

Recap of addressed issues since v1.63:

• Lack of strong endgame Light Blade, possibly Jupiter for warrior Ivan
    Rearranged Corsair's Edge and Pirate Sabre, moved Phaeton's Blade to Anemos' Sanctum
  • Weakness of Dragon Skin's equipment
    Overall boost, aligned Dragon's Robe with Princess' and Feathered Robe
  • Early Game Djinn Imbalance
    When Piers joins you end up with 2/3/3/5 Ve/Ma/Ju/Me Djinns. Swapping Mud with Chill changes the distribution to a much more manageable 3/3/3/4.
  • Role of mage/warrior hybrid classes: Ninja, Valkyrie, Fury and General. Mages lack attack.
    Tentative fixes: Atk boost in Berserker Circlet, PP boost in Millenium Helm.

Enter v1.67.

First three points were completely solved as of v1.65b. There's still lots to do about the fourth though.

• Difference in PP multipliers between mages and warrior much larger than the difference in Attack multipliers
    Reduced by 10% the PP multiplier of ALL caster classes, all characters gain 10 more PP between levels 19-39. Result: caster classes unchanged, every warrior gained ~15 PP at lv 39.
  • Gap between Scrouge/Dragon Fume and the rest of the endgame psynergies is too big.
    Reduced base power of Scrouge, DF and Call Dullahan, boosted every MT psynergy learned after 35. Also reflects the big jump in unleashes' strength after that level (from x1.9 to x2.2).
  • Rarely used pieces of equipment.
    Iris' Robe boosts attack and Ailments instead of Luck now (the mage atk boost moved from Berserk Circlet to Iris Robe), the 2 Greaves also boost Jupiter and Mercury power, to cover for the blind spot left by Big Bang Gloves. Pending: Cosmos Shield.
  • Hybrid Classes
    Valkyrie gained Ragnarok and can run a ailment/atk boost build pretty well, turning into a full support character. Ninja/General can cast much better thanks to Greaves and Millenium Helm. I'm still concerned about Fury: the way it is it's completely overshadowed by the Shogun, so i still have some work to do here before this release.

In progress...

leaf

So, I started playing this hack, starting with TBS.

Re: Djinn fleeing: Forge trying to flee on turn 2 after a reset is absolute bullshit. I spammed all of my strongest attacks, and couldn't kill it before its turn came up. I had to keep resetting until its flee failed, then kill it the following turn. Honestly, djinn fleeing adds nothing gameplay-wise and is just a frustration factor for the player. It was lame in vanilla and it's lame here. There's no reason to keep this mechanic at all.

Everything else up to kolima seemed fine, but the enemies introduced in kolima and tret are... a bit much. I assume that the "intended" fighting style here is psynergy spam, but even that isn't enough to kill the enemies before they put down some serious hurt, so your PP ends up going both toward damage *and* healing. Fighting normally and healing between battles isn't really sustainable, so I ended up having to rely on summon spam to get through it. Surprisingly, even with summon spam, I was still unable to one-round some enemies (trolls are notorious for this), and the agility of the bees and gnomes meant that I was always going to take some damage from them, even if they *do* die to two lv2 summons.

Unless summons are the intended way to get through this area, either atk or hp should really come down for these foes. They simply do too much damage for how sturdy they are. Even after switching to summons, I still had to heal frequently enough that I had to use a mountain water on isaac before taking on tret (speaking of which, I'm really thankful for this item being in the game).

Specific enemies:

Bees: Faster than isaac until he reaches a certain level (wasn't keeping track of what level that specifically is, whoops), inflicts over 30 damage on a single attack and can stun. Extremely high priority to get rid of these things, but with their agility value, they'll always get off something before going down. I'd say drop agility a few points so isaac can outspeed them at least one level sooner.

Trolls: Way too sturdy. Damage is fine considering their low agility. I'd reduce HP and increase regen.

Spiders: Seem fine, for the most part. Maybe a bit lower hp to more reliably one-round them?

Amaze (or whatever variant this one is called, idr): Its bulk and damage reminds me of GSC suicune. It doesn't do a lot of damage at once, but it lasts long enough that it builds up. It really likes spamming ghostly rumble. I think its bulk is fine, but it could do with a touch less damage, so you aren't punished so heavily for ignoring it while you deal with other bigger threats.

The tret battle seemed reasonable, but I only had a single ally fall asleep throughout the entire battle, and it happened to be near the end. With how frequently he spams sleep star, if someone were unlucky and had it trigger more often, they'd probably lose. A small nerf to HP would probably make this fight consistently winnable, since I was basically completely out of PP when victory came through.

---

Moving onto bilibin cave, holy @#$% the ghoul is so overpowered. High hp, high damage, and it drain-tanks. You must really want me to summon spam through this. If summon spam wasn't an option here, I would probably just straight-up flee when I get an encounter like double ghoul+double ooze. I nearly wiped on that party once, and had to trek back to bilibin to revive isaac.

Outside the cave, grizzly is another enemy that just has too much HP. Even with full focus from all three party members, they don't die in a single round unless you target focus summons on them. Atalanta+Ramses barely kills one if both are focused on the same target. Meanwhile, most psynergy at this point doesn't even break 50 damage, with gust as the only non-summon option for one-rounding them (deals 100+ damage on a double-hit, but is unreliable).

For reference, I currently have isaac with elven rapier, garet with an axe, and everyone with the best possible defensive equipment available. I've just arrived at imil.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Caledor

I'm kinda hesitant about making changes to TBS at this point. Unlike TLA i've played my mod there multiple times so i'm quite satisfied with the outcome, balance wise. Still, i'll definitively keep all this in mind if i start another playthrough of book 1.

Also, levels are extremely important when reporting about balance in the early game.

ATM, the Fury/Shogun issue has the utmost priority so i can release v1.67

leaf

I only checked my level after the tret fight (lv9), but I think I was was lv7ish for most of the tree, having leveled up to 8 near the end, and then again vs tret. I checked with the editor, and indeed it should be lv8 that isaac starts to outspeed the bees. I think if you dropped bee agility by 4 to let isaac outspeed them one level sooner, it would make that enemy a lot more reasonable.

This is what I'd do:

Drone Bee: 43 agility -> 39
Troll: 144 HP -> 129, 10 regen -> 15
Ghoul: 141 HP -> 111
Grizzly: 155 HP -> 135
Amaze: Ghostly Rumble (2) base damage 15 -> 13
Tret: 1012 HP -> 922 HP

This makes the Troll and Grizzly reliably one-roundable if you focus three psynergy on them, unlike at present which absolutely requires either a summon or double-hit gust. Same for the Ghoul, who is frankly well above the curve for that point of the game, and has absolutely no business being that tanky while also being able to drain tank with high damage. At 111, it should die to a double-hit gust + off-range aoe, or to three focused aoe psynergy. The slight nerf to Ghostly Rumble is simply to reduce the ambient damage from Amaze while you focus on other, bigger threats.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

bpat

Cosmos Shield is incredibly powerful on paper, but the issue is the characters who most want a pure defensive item are the characters that can't use it in the first place. I'm more concerned about my healers getting taken down than my warriors so I never use it. If I could I'd absolutely use it on Mia or Jenna in boss battles since there isn't a great option in that slot due to elemental power having a lesser effect on healing psynergy.

Caledor

@Epower potency: EPower has the same effect on healing or base damage psynergy. It's lower from vanilla cause originally Epower was twice as strong on healing than it was on offensive spells.

@cosmos' shield: probably it will be used by paladins and holy knights wearing the orichalcon armor and helm, since it'd be pointless to increase crits or venus/mars power.

@Fury: it will gain a new strong EPA whose animation is agatio's rolling flame, and a few changes will occour to Planetary and Fury's psynergy set. It will still take a while to release cause i have to design a new icon for it.

Caledor

v1.67 is up and is back to the download section!

Remember that this version tweaks the characters stat growth. You'll be fine if your characters are in the 1-19 range but PP growth is different in the 20-39 range. You can patch things up by adding 10 PP with a save editor to everyone once they reach level 39.

Rules for upgrading from versions earlier than v1.65b still stand and can be found HERE. In the linked post you can also find the old v1.63 patch to downgrade if needed.

inknow

Quick question - I want to to use this hack together with other hacks, specifically:
http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=63
http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=69
http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=72

Usually I just do it and test if it's all still alright, but since the creator is still active - could you confirm compatibility beforehand?

Caledor

The first one should work, as long as Sala didn't place his code in other areas of the ROM. In that case it might overlap with mine.

The other two are mine so there's no need to patch: every other patch I made and uploaded here is already included into Reloaded.

inknow

VardenSalad

Saw leaf's knocks on the Tret dungeon, wanted to comment:

I didn't have an issue with my team going through Tret. No one should ever underestimate the usefulness of grabbing 15 herbs or so, considering they cost 10 a piece and are EXTREMELY useful early game.

Tret does have a bit too much HP; a few of your newer boss battles fall into that problem. You're either safe enough to know you'll be fine and the fight drags way too long or you get blitzed in the first few rounds and need to change your party composition. It isn't strength of the bosses that are normally the issue, but durability. And please, for the love of everything, remove djinn's ability to run away.

Caledor

One of the things i've already done for next release (fixes as i play TLA) is a minor tweak to prices (herbs to 12 and corn halved to 40). As for bosses life i think i used the same multiplier for hp literally everywhere, there's also the scenario when you drop your guard under the illusion you'll be fine and that's when you get blitzed.

@Djinn. I've seen this sooo many times, it's never been an issue for me over god knows how many playthroughs since vanilla GS, only a very minor annoyance. It's run away? heal, change room, reload, mess with the RNG, whatever... Probably 3-5 djinn will run away once in anyone's entire playthrough if they beat them quickly enough. Seriously if anyone experiences the same djinn running away over and over i blame the RNG.

I seriously considered getting rid of it before replying, cause i don't know how many times i've read this advice. But I still like the concept of djinn being intelligent creatures who value survival if the situation seems dire, and i value it more than the minor annoyance it provides.

Caledor

Expect a new patch in the next 48-72 hours. I just found out that Asteria Staff isn't where it was supposed to be (Shrine of the Sea God). I'll also check every treasure chest and post a detailed list of all the changes, something i should've done a long time ago.