News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

[RELEASE] Golden Sun Reloaded

Started by Caledor, 22, December, 2016, 03:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caledor

Hi ReploidX welcome aboard and glad you're liking the mod so far.

About TLA, what you described is perfectly normal. I'm positive i literally ported enemy stats from TBS so the blame is entirely on the "second caster instead of second warrior". Longer fighter in turns implies more damage taken which implies more healing needed and so on.

Hope you'll enjoy the rest of TLA as well!

ReploidX

Well, TLA's been pretty great so far. I've got my Trident now, and it's time to take down Poseidon.

The last two bosses, Serpent and Avimander, went fairly well, using the same basic class setup as in the first game. Jenna's got all Venus Djinn, Felix has Mars, Piers with Jupiter, and Sheba with Mercury. Near the end of each fight a few characters ran out of Psynergy, and I actually unleashed some Djinn for the last round or two.

Poseidon, though, seems a bit further out of my reach than either of them did, with his 3 actions and the "set to 1 HP" attack (Ocean Fist?). I'm level 27, so I might just need to grind a few levels first. Looking at various treasure lists, I have all the major treasures so far, so I don't think I'm under-geared. Then again, the item classes might have something I overlooked, because I never used them before, so I have no idea what they actually do.

Megalord38

Yo, incredible hack you made dude. Played a vast part of the first GS, but my save state messed up, so I'm just gonna play the TLA one now. Question: Do all the djinn appear? Cause for all i know, you needed to transfer data from the first game in order to have ALL the djinn in the series that far. Other than that, incredible job, and i hope you keep it going, cause I'll sure try it.

Caledor

Quote from: Megalord38 on 07, April, 2018, 05:05:25 PM
Yo, incredible hack you made dude. Played a vast part of the first GS, but my save state messed up, so I'm just gonna play the TLA one now. Question: Do all the djinn appear? Cause for all i know, you needed to transfer data from the first game in order to have ALL the djinn in the series that far. Other than that, incredible job, and i hope you keep it going, cause I'll sure try it.

Thanks Megalord, and sorry for the late reply. All i can say is that Djinn requirements are the same as vanilla. Without a password you'll find some extra GS1 djinn exactly like vanilla TLA but you won't have all of them.

Megalord38

So far so good, although the Gabomba Statue was a really hard dungeon despite the full party being available xD. A have a question though: In you class chart document you shared in the download link there are some red numbers, is it just my computer being crap or does it have a meaning?

Caledor

Quote from: Megalord38 on 22, April, 2018, 05:00:39 PM
So far so good, although the Gabomba Statue was a really hard dungeon despite the full party being available xD. A have a question though: In you class chart document you shared in the download link there are some red numbers, is it just my computer being crap or does it have a meaning?

Red = values changed from last version update. ;)

pachichi

hi, thx for the great work!

I'm playing TBS atm, and according to the chart, the oracle class series have "drain" and "psy drain". Are these locked behind higher class lvls? Ivan is Augur and doesnt have them.

Also I remember when I played your patch long ago, class series like worldwaker had more psynergy, for example like how Fury has volcano, plasma and ice, they had jupiter psynergy + gaia + prism. Imho this class in particular misses wind psynergy.

Caledor

Drain and Psy drain for Oracle are only locked behind levels and not class tiers. learned at levels 32 and 33 respectively
Worldwaker has been changed many times so i really can't remember but i can say this: it's not mandatory for tri-elemental classes to use all 3 elements offensively.

btw fury has ice for the sole reason that it's the only mercury spell i could give to that class. mercury has A LOT of healing, which all clashes horribly with Fury's theme.

Megalord38

Got to the Eastern Sea now, and I'm getting rekt by Gaia Rock xD. Are all the items in Yallam's forge the same as vanilla, or did you change something? Other than that, i guess i just need to grind a bit lul.

Caledor

Quote from: Megalord38 on 04, May, 2018, 10:22:37 PM
Got to the Eastern Sea now, and I'm getting rekt by Gaia Rock xD. Are all the items in Yallam's forge the same as vanilla, or did you change something? Other than that, i guess i just need to grind a bit lul.

Almost every item in the game has been changed in one way or another, you can use atrius' editor to open the modded rom and check. The target level for gaia rock is 24.

Frey

Hello

I'm excited to play this hack :) But when I apply the patch, conversations are glitched out and the characters go out of screen. This happens in both games. Why does this happen? I'm patching the US version of the games.

Thank you for your help.

Caledor

Quote from: Frey on 15, May, 2018, 07:36:50 AM
Hello

I'm excited to play this hack :) But when I apply the patch, conversations are glitched out and the characters go out of screen. This happens in both games. Why does this happen? I'm patching the US version of the games.

Thank you for your help.

most likely you're using a bad rom, or even a bad emulator. try different roms and/or VBA as an emulator on PC.

Megalord38

Got to Lemuria, and have to say, that Poseidon fight was hard af. Kept killing Felix and the only source of damage was Piers with the trident xd. I think you should reduce the amount of turns he has cause he destroyed my team with that one-hit k.o attack he has. Otherwise, pretty clutch win xD. I wanna ask if is possible to obtain multiple lucky medals by the RNG manipulation method (is this possible too?) or you just have a set amount of lucky medals to manage along the game. So far it is pretty good.

Caledor

Quote from: Megalord38 on 16, May, 2018, 03:47:41 PMI wanna ask if is possible to obtain multiple lucky medals by the RNG manipulation method (is this possible too?)

Yes to both. As usual, use the editor to see who drops what. RNG manipulation is unchanged from vanilla but enemies have changed so old patterns might not work. To address that, just make new patterns after understanding how RNG works (-> https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/gba/561356-golden-sun-the-lost-age/faqs/25734).

coolkalle

Around a month ago I got Golden Sun on my mind something fierce. I happened to hear about a mod called Golden Sun Reloaded that retooled the game to make combat less spammy, more thoughtful and more challenging. Considering I had cheesed my way through GS1 as a kid at least ten times, this sounded like the perfect way to replay it.

I've attempted to replay the game a few times since my childhood, but I've generally ended up dropping it in lieu of playing it its more challenging, meatier sequel. With this mod, this changed - I was suddenly far more engaged in the combat. This mod meant I spent far more time thinking about optimal class setups and equipment, scraping by tough boss monsters with buffs and debuffs, and getting my teeth kicked in when I realized I couldn't just summon rush my way through the game, and it was an absolute joy seeing Camelots systems finally getting put to something that wasn't a novelty use.

It was a nostalgic treat for me to play this game again and your mod not only made the experience fresh, challenging, and incredibly rewarding - It made it happen in the first place. If I could had just beaten Saturos the old fashioned way I would probably not had gotten farther than going back to Tret before I lost interest and looked to the sequel instead.

I've rambled long enough (Probably Golden Sun rubbing off on me) but I want to say
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HARD WORK CALEDOR! THIS MOD IS DA BOMB! It has allowed me to experience Golden Sun again, and it has opened my eyes - Rom hacking can do so much more than just modding a Sonic Sprite into Super Mario Bros.

With that in mind, I have two questions I was hoping you could answer:

1: Is Hard mode still around in modded TLA, or did you get rid of it in lieu of the mod? Or is it available as some Frankenstein thing that mixes TLAs hard mode with your mod?

2: Are there any plans to work on a similar mod for Dark Dawn?

Caledor

What can I say? Just thank you for playing with the mod and taking the time to make an account here to tell me all this. :D
About your questions:
1 - It's in as the Frankenstein thing. I left it untouched so it still applies its stat multipliers to every enemy, which means on top of my changes. Call it Hard mode squared, Hell mode... it's completely untested. Play at your own risk. ;)
2 - None, I'm sorry. I never even finished it cause i always preferred replaying the first 2 games improved rather than vanilla DD. So i can't really see it happening.

Caledor

I've spotted 2 minor bugs in the current version. One is about the Spirit Glove's description, the other about Fury's Rolling Fire, which is learnt automatically after reaching channeling tier instead of requiring level 40. They will be fixed in the next version among the other tweaks.

Here's the current changelog for v1.70

Fixed Spirit Golves' description
Fixed Fury's Rolling Fire learning level (40)
Psy crystal restores 200 PP
PP cost of Wish Well, Pure Wish, Cool Aura, Potent Heal slightly increased
Psychic Circlet restores 15 PP/turn
Caladbolg's Atk +1
Water of Life revives to 25% HP <- In progress

BTW, i was re-checking everything about the mod while the site was down and this is all i wanted to change in the end. I think it goes a long way in telling how close to being finished this mod is.

VardenSalad

QuoteI think it goes a long way in telling how close to being finished this mod is.

Has it been 3 years already?
Never forget why you started playing.

Caledor

Quote from: VardenSalad on 25, July, 2018, 10:43:58 PM
QuoteI think it goes a long way in telling how close to being finished this mod is.

Has it been 3 years already?

Since the first time I said "it's finished"? yeah it's possible, lol :D

Caledor

v1.70 is up.

This release is all about decreasing the strength of 2 consummables: Psy Crystal and Water of Life.

About Psy Crystal. I always said that I wanted people to usually equip Berserk Circlet on offensive casters and Psychic Circlet on healers, as you'd be trading off power for sustain. My fear is that Psy Crystal's strength allowed people to easily equip Berserk Circlet on healers as well since they'd only lose 1 in 10 turns to replenish their PP completely. So, healing costs slightly more, Psychic circlet is stronger and Psy Crystal's power is more than halved at endgame.

About Water of Life: When i decide on a psynergy set on a class i always try to keep things balanced and Revive and Raise are among the spells i weight more in a set. For example, Raise was given to the Inquisitor to cause its set felt lackluster without it; likewise, it will never be given to Fateweaver cause it'd be way too good with it. Farming Water of Life makes all this irrelevant since you could end up with 8x30 WoLs and effectively give everyone free revives. So WoL effectiveness is now half that of Revive.

Edit: Also opening post updated