News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

[RELEASE] Golden Sun Reloaded

Started by Caledor, 22, December, 2016, 03:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VardenSalad

I just want you to know how happy having the final psynergy learned at 42 makes me. Matches the actual length of the game much, much better. That change slipped past me in earlier version notes.
Never forget why you started playing.

Caledor

I really had to. Not only to avoid the endgame grinding to dullahan, but also because the power/level ratio of base power psynergies decreases after lv ~35 in vanilla, while unleashes spike in power.

Caledor

V1.71 is on the way and will see a lot of tweaks to classes, mainly stats, with 2-3 psynergy sets affected.
Also includes tweaks to a few psynergies and pieces of armor (5 to 10 each) and I finally decided what to do with Cosmos Shield.

UPDATE: v1.71 is up.

Changelog:

Many class tweaks: see class doc, linked from the opening post of this thread
Items: Tweaked Xylion Armor, Luna Shield, Flame Shield, Cosmos Shield, Iris Robe, Titan Gloves, Greaves, Silver Greaves
Other minor fixes to equipment
Aura series, Dragon Fume, Searing Beam, Spark Plasma, Tempest, Scourge, Thunderhead, Dullahan are stronger

About class and psynergy changes (on the doc Blue is for improvements, Orange for worsenings):
Every mage's WRD dropped by 1 tier or more to put the max at 115%, then i started to make tweaks to even out stat totals.
After that the most significant changes were due to specific class comparison: I compared all the mages' classes capable of MT healing and tried to make the sum of damage + healing as similar as possible. Miko with Arcanist, Jenna's Guru with Druid, and Pure Mage, Guardian and Incantatrix together. Those comparisons caused the psynergy changes listed in the changelog. The most notable one is Aura, which is A LOT stronger (like +40 BP to the 3rd tier)... The only way I had to bring Incantatrix up to the Miko's level (and still wasn't enough, that's why the Miko's PP multiplier dropped by 5%).

Also, both Guru had to become stronger (they were the worst of the duals), so more PP and a slightly better psynergy set. Jenna's inquisitor lost raise for impact to avoid having all her 3 duals capable of reviving.

About equipment: Added minor bonuses to the very underwhelming luna shield and flame shield. Titan Gloves now boosts Venus Power by 30 (+5) cause a venus only mage lacks a non cursed staff and has to fall back to gaia rod. The other are boosts to warrior-mage hybrids. Xylion armor boosts power by 25 (+5), Cosmos shield brings a boost to Jupiter Power AND max PP and this allowed me to switch the Greaves' EPower bonus to Venus. Iris Robe and Silver Greaves are minor changes: -5 atk and +5 Me Power respectively.

UPDATE 2: TLA Patch reuploaded, i forgot to update the descriptions for the 3 shields i tweaked.

Chronotakular

Hey Caledor,

Where is the doc located? Can't seem to find it.

Thanks!

Caledor

The doc is the class chart, linked from the first post of this thread

UPDATE: Another walkthrough has started and I already had to stop before Dekhan to fix enemy groups. In the area around Dekhan's entrance you can encounter drone bees, trolls and skeletons, which are enemy that belong to the Madran half of Indra (after Dekhan), which is clearly wrong. From the next release, enemies around Dekhan's entrance in the Dalian half of Indra you'll encounter the enemies you're supposed to, like punchy ant, wolves and bats

Apprentice57

Howdy all,

For (long)ish reasons I played through The Broken Seal with a different hard mode mod, but I'm not liking the version that that author created for The Lost Age.  :sad:

So I think I'd rather check out GS Reloaded for The Lost Age instead (though I have played Caledor's old mod circa 2015). That presents an issue for me with transferring data to The Lost Age since I don't want to replay TBS again.

Would any kind soul be willing to share their clear .sav file from GSR TBS? (One with all djinn, extra psynergy items, all events done, etc.). Password works too, but I presume that is more challenging to type up.

Alternatively, are vanilla clear .sav files compatible? Would I miss out on any mod unique items this way?

Caledor

Quote from: Apprentice57 on 17, August, 2018, 01:03:45 AM
Alternatively, are vanilla clear .sav files compatible? Would I miss out on any mod unique items this way?

While you'll never miss out on exclusive TBS items cause there aren't any, you will miss out on the modified stat growth of the characters, like PP and especially Luck.

So here's my endgame save from TBS played with my mod. It's as good as a normal run can be, it has all the important lategame stuff, characters are at a fair lever for the reunion, and carries the stat boosting items (i use them in TLA after i decide on the endgame class setup) for maximum freedom.

PS: passwords become trivial once you figure out how to use the golden sun passwords tool and VBA's memory viewer. Google it, download it and read the Readme. It will teach you how to save & load a dump of the password in TLA and save you from inputting it manually

Apprentice57

Beautiful. You're the best Caledor!

EDIT: I gave updated details on why I'm switching mods midway on reddit if anyone is curious: https://www.reddit.com/r/GoldenSun/comments/93bx8k/mods_reloaded_or_fallen_star/e3hs2k7/ . It's more about the other mod, so I didn't want to quote it verbatim here. I'll update it again with my thoughts after I finish GSR TLA. I gave you a shout out for your help.

EDIT2: Btw Caledor, I didn't receive the bandit encounter. No biggie, but fyi to anyone else wanting it, keep that in mind.

Caledor

@Apprentice57: sorry about that, but i think you can still fix it by editing the .sav with a save editor (there's a checkbox to tick) and update the password in TLA before reunion.

@YoungLink4. Thanks for the report, I found a few other issues in TBS though, so it might take a while to release a fix

Caledor

Ok so it's totally a side effect of porting the advanced reviving patch from TLA to TBS in v1.70

I might need to do that part again from scratch so in the meantime please downgrade to v1.68 from here: goo.gl/2gvKmR

BTW this also implies that the bug is TBS only

Caledor

Patch for TBS updated to v1.71a, which fixes the Cure Poison bug (couldn't heal poison in battle).

The bug happened cause the advanced reviving function spilled over on the cure poison effect function, which is right after it, overwriting its first 2 instructions. The bug was fixed by saving some space in the advanced reviving function, which allowed me to restore the lost instructions.

Caledor

I couldn't replicate any of the issues in TBS with the Crystal Rod. So i'd say try patching another clean rom and see if it works.

Mud in indeed repeatable instead, guess I forgot a flag of some sort when i swapped it with Chill. I'll have to investigate cause that obviously shouldn't happen.

Caledor

Hi Warden. That doesn't happen on my copy so please try a different rom and let me know how it goes.

Anyway, v1.71a for TLA is up and fixes the mud bug reported by Supremezero

Jassu323

Quote from: Caledor on 03, September, 2018, 03:24:48 PM
Hi Warden. That doesn't happen on my copy so please try a different rom and let me know how it goes.

I ran into the same issue as Warden when playing through.  The issue itself seems to be some kind of fatal error and I'm able to get it to occur consistently by having enemies use Smoke Bomb or Weaken so far (only just made it to Goma Cave in TBS).  I'm wondering if it's applicable to any type of debuffing ability.

I've repro'd this across three different TBS ROMs.  Curiously, playing the un-patched ROMs is no problem—I'm only seeing the issue occur when playing a patched version of any ROM.

Hope this helps for now.  Happy to provide any additional detail as needed!

EDIT:  Tested a couple of different emulators and I think the issue is isolated to mGBA.  I can only repro the problem using that emulator—all others work just fine.  I'll post back if I find anything different or new.

Caledor

I think literally everyone here uses visual boy advance either the old one or the vba-m port, at least on windows

Roykras

Quote from: Caledor on 04, September, 2018, 07:42:17 AM
I think literally everyone here uses visual boy advance either the old one or the vba-m port, at least on windows
No, I use mGBA because of its quality.

https://mgba.io/

Caledor

well i've been playing GS on VBA for the past 15 years I think and never had issues with it, so i never bothered to look for something else. Anyway, i added a tips section to the opening post for future reports.

inknow

mGBA is, currently, the most accurate GBA emulator, and it's ported to multiple platforms. It's probably the future of GBA emulation, so it's kind of important things run on it.

On top of that, emulator-specific hacks are a bit problematic. In the early days of SNES emulation there were SNES9x-specific hacks and zSNES-specific hacks, and most of these do not run on modern iterations of SNES9x or higan, the other top SNES emulator - because as accuracy increased, the emulator-specific behavior the hacks relied on was simply removed, making those hacks simply unplayable.

Could you please investigate and see how to make it work on mGBA? Or if anyone has a flashcart and a GBA, can confirm if this happens on real hardware?

Caledor

Quote from: inknow on 15, September, 2018, 01:07:47 PM
Could you please investigate and see how to make it work on mGBA?
The method is simple but extremely time consuming: I'd have to check the edited functions after you guys report a crash, since it's likely that the issues are in the jumps/branch-link i added, coupled with a sligthly different scheduling in mGBA.
It will probably take (several) months, so for the time being, switching to VBA-m is much more efficient.
Also, is very important that nothing is broken on VBA-m before i start making changes, or i might make things worse than they're now.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Does mGBA even work properly on Windows Vista?

Happens when trying to load a ROM - causes app to close.

Then there's some notifications about Microsoft's Data Execution Prevention stopping it. Huh.

If mGBA does not work on outdated OS's (would prefer as far back as XP.), then how could it be the best emulator? Maybe some day it shall be.

I shall try on Windows 10 later.  From another computer.  Don't think I will have a problem with that. Edit: That worked.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)