News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

[RELEASE] Golden Sun Reloaded

Started by Caledor, 22, December, 2016, 03:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caledor

Quote from: HyperMushrambo on 07, September, 2021, 07:38:21 PM
Separate question/error maybe? I thought from the drops section the Mad Plant was supposed to always drop the Herbed Shirt. "Mad Plant (Lv 25)        -> Herbed Shirt       1/1" But I just beat it and it only dropped a game ticket. I tried again, even making sure I took it out with a mars Djinn and it still only dropped the ticket.

It probably wasn't the LV25 one. looking at game data, you probably fought the lv19 one, which actually drops game ticket. If i had to guess by area levels, i'd say the LV25 is the one in gaia rock, while LV19 is the one in Gabomba Catacombs.

HyperMushrambo

Ohhhh gotcha. I forgot there was more than one of him! You're right it was the one in the catacombs.

PathofChaos

I wonder.. is the Laughing Fungus still useless? Or is it destined for something greater in this mod?

The fortune teller says something about forging a weapon from it...
"Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams."

PathofChaos

Do Gameshark or Action Replay codes work with this mod? I only ask because I used the Golden Sun Password Generator to transfer from the previous game and didn't realize you needed top have Event 3 UNchecked on the Misc tab. I'd like to be able to add the Golden Ring to my inventory but I'm worried the cheats will conflict with the mod. :Sweat:

Caledor

Quote from: PathofChaos on 23, September, 2021, 01:10:12 AM
Do Gameshark or Action Replay codes work with this mod? I only ask because I used the Golden Sun Password Generator to transfer from the previous game and didn't realize you needed top have Event 3 UNchecked on the Misc tab. I'd like to be able to add the Golden Ring to my inventory but I'm worried the cheats will conflict with the mod. :Sweat:

Unless i moved items around and it 100% isn't the case for Golden Ring due to how it's acquired it should be safe.

What's always safe is pick an editor, open the rom, add the item as a guaranteed drop from a random enemy close to you, get it, save, switch back to the regular rom and continue as if nothing happened.

DevAnj

These are the djinn I have. My party is largely level 9, with the exception of Mia who is level 11. Can they defeat Saturos? I've been struggling on him for a while.

Caledor

You should, another Venus and Jupiter djinn would go a long way though. Especially considering they're a wall and a Res boosting djinn respectively

PathofChaos

Quote from: Caledor on 23, September, 2021, 04:12:29 PM
Quote from: PathofChaos on 23, September, 2021, 01:10:12 AM

Unless i moved items around and it 100% isn't the case for Golden Ring due to how it's acquired it should be safe.

What's always safe is pick an editor, open the rom, add the item as a guaranteed drop from a random enemy close to you, get it, save, switch back to the regular rom and continue as if nothing happened.
Could you recommend a user-friendly editor for a no-coding experience moron, like me? :-D

Nvm I found it: http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=132  thank you!

*5 minutes later*

This editor is AWESOME :!: Now I can see, quantitatively, all the hard work you've done and disambiguate some things I wasn't clear on after reading the main forum post. Implementing the changes you suggested was super easy. Even a dolt like me could do it without any second-guessing.

PathofChaos

Quote from: Dark Mits on 07, September, 2021, 05:14:26 AM
Bosses are now more vulnerable to debuffs that reduce their Attack, Defense and Agility and for longer than just 1 or 2 rounds. They are still immune to Poison/Venom (because otherwise these would be brokenly overpowering), and depending on the boss in question it is also easier to apply Seal, Stun, Sleep or Delusion. Different bosses have different debuff weaknesses in other words.
Is there a list of which bosses have which ailment weaknesses? Its difficult to tell if a boss is weak to an ailment when I have to cast it 4+ times to get it to stick. I've been using save states to test whether a given boss enemy can be afflicted with specific ailments but its tedious and a list would take the guesswork out of it.

Does anyone know if Haunt can afflict bosses? Its a cool psynergy that, in vanilla GS/TLA, never saw use. I'd love to be able to drop it on Poseidon and laugh as his Counter-Attack round brings the pain.

Lastly, why are certain enemies afflicted with Seal still able to use psynergy? I thought the point of Seal was they couldn't use magic anymore but today I sealed a Chimera Mage and it kept on using fire breath regardless. Same with the Salamander boss in Champa... I was so stoked when I finally got Seal to work! And then... then he immediately bombed my team with Star Mine twice in a row. Seal did stop him from using his healing psynergy but he still had full access to the rest of it. Why?  :sad:

It works wonders on Djinn and some randos but certain enemies seem to ignore it despite the fun purple sigil hovering over their head.

PathofChaos

Here's an example of what I mean about Seal

Caledor

Boss weaknesses: there's a row with 4 numbers under the moveset of an enemy those numbers are the ability effect IDs the boss is "weak" to. Issue is I rearranged some effects so your editor in some cases will display the wrong label for a certain effect ID.

Haunt: you get immunity at 40+ luck

Seal: disables any ability with a PP cost > 0. A lot of enemy only abilities cost 0 MP that's why they are still able to use them while sealed. Also i wouldn't consider a breath attack "psynergy" from a lore perspective.

Chaeron

First off, excellent mod.  I had a blast playing through the original.  Deadbeard actually took a couple of attempts!  GSTLA is great too.  I'm in the end game, and I'm working on min/maxing all my characters.  I've come across a couple of things that I either need help with, or can't quite explain. 

I can't get some of the reworked monster drops to work the same way as usual.  For example, using the RN method to get an Aeshma to die at RN 31, with the correct Djinn, does not net me Lachesis' Rule.  There's a few such drops I can't seem to get using the RN method. 

Mad Demon (Lv 40)        -> Ker's Weight         1/256
Aeshma (Lv 40)              -> Lachesis' Rule       1/256
Pyrodra (Lv 36)              -> Triton Ward          1/128
Aka Manah (Lv 35)          -> Ninja Sandals       1/128
Hell Chimera (Lv 33)       -> Knight's Greaves   1/128

There may be some others, but I haven't tested absolutely all of them.  The interesting thing is, I must have hit the 1/128 for the Ninja Sandals incidentally, because I do have one pair of them, but I cannot force more.  For the Aka Manah specifically, felling it on RN 31 does not make it flash.  I've tried altering the RN at which the Aka Manah dies, similar to what is needed for Wonder Birds (-2 RN from the total prior to monster felling), and then I can make it flash, but again, no drop.  Any info as to what is going on behind the scenes here would be very appreciated. 

Secondly, I was really excited to see in your title post that there was a TXT file with every possible perfect class combination in GSTLA.  I've been looking for such a thing for years!  I imported it into Excel, so I could sort the data, and quantify (stats wise) the ideal team compositions.  Unfortunately, theres a few combinations that I've come across that don't work, and I've only been through a tiny fraction of that whole enormous list.  For instance:

Isaac: Slayer
Garet: Phalanx
Ivan: Sorcerer
Mia: Angel
Felix: Paladin
Jenna: Heretic
Sheba: Fury
Piers: Holy Knight

This is the second set of classes including tri-elementals.  Heretic Jenna requires 5 :JupiterStar: and 4 :VenusStar:.  Holy Knight Piers also requires 5 :JupiterStar: and 4 :VenusStar:.  As a result, the above team comp uses 17 :VenusStar:, 18 :MarsStar:, 19 :JupiterStar:, and 18 :MercuryStar:

How did you come up with such an exhaustive list?  Can it be tweaked to ensure each team comp does not go over or under a total of 18 Djinn for each element?  If I had any coding capability, I'd try and write a program to sift through each permutation.  I looked into doing it manually initially.  If I ignore the 18 Djinn per element cap, given 9 possible Djinn combinations per character that result in valid classes, and 8 characters, thats 43 046 721 combinations.  Paring down from those possibilities to only those that meet the 18 Djinn limit was my initial plan, but 43 million combinations is so far beyond what is possible to do by hand. 

Anyone here able to write a program that can produce all the valid class combinations?  If I had that data set, I'd love to work with it to see what kind of class comps would be the most fun/powerful. 

Again, excellent mod. 

Caledor

Welcome Chaeron, and thanks!

About drops: it's something that pops up from time to time: in most cases the issue is due to human error or can be solved by killing with a different Djinn of that element (aka you're off by 1).

Classes.txt has been fixed and reuploaded: the error was in Holy Knight and General being swapped through the whole file. And yes, i wrote a(n extremely dumb) program that prints that txt.

It simply cycles through all the 43m setups and discards those where it didn't use exactly 18 djinn of each element (also i count monoelemental as requiring 9 djinn instead of 8) or it tried to use item classes more than thrice.

Being this simple, it's easy for me to tweak it into forcing certain characters into specific classes in case i am looking for setups that include those.

leon_95

Heya, have played through the mod a couple years ago and started anew now.

I love a lot of the changes, especially to the classes, however I don't really like how it feels like the game basically makes you grind levels, since I always disliked grinding due to it not really adding enjoyment while needlessly padding game time. I also dislike how lethal random encounters can be early on, having been sent back to the last town a couple times already due to a random caught by surprise outright murdering a party member, and the lethality only adds up when they get a second turn. Admittedly, this is a lot less of a problem when you finally have 4 party members. The Saturos fight frustrated me a lot since it took me three attempts to beat him and watching the cutscene every time was a little bit tilting.

Other than the few frustrating parts, I love the new strategies that come from the new class system, even though the new status psynergies feel terrible in my opinion.
Mostly active in the Speedrunning discord, and have taken a long long break from this community here.

Dark Mits

Hey Leon, I believe that the hard part that you encounter is on your way from Bilibin to Imil, and especially the bears, right? If yes, then there is a non-grindy way to tackle this, but it does require a lot of travelling:
- Go to Kollima first as 3-man party. Clear the dungeon up to the boss while gathering all treasure and djinn. Do not fight Tret.
- Now go to Imil. When encountering the bears, defend with Ivan. You should have reached level 10 or 11 by now.
- Pick up Mia, clear Mercury Lighthouse and defeat Saturos.
- Go back and defeat Tret, and now proceed as normally with the game.
Semantically you could argue that I am hiding the grind in the part where I say to clear Kolima and then backtrack, but in a sense I am avoiding the concept of grinding as repeatedly fighting enemies to gain levels.

As you have probably guessed, the mod kind of assumes that the player is aware of the locations of all (or at least most) treasures and djinn. In order to make it easier for me, I gave Ivan a durable class and prioritized defensive equipment on him until mid-late game, even if at the expense of offense on everyone. Besides, battles taking 1 turn longer is better than resetting after every 2-3 battles  :VenusDjinni:

-=EDIT=-
I just realized that my reply comes too late. But the idea of clearing everything and not leaving treasure behind is really helping in the long run. The other "bottlenecks" I encountered were the Hydro Statue in Altin and the lizard boss in Lamakan desert.
Of course, you should aim to get to Crossbone Isle before Tolbi and clear up to the 3rd basement. The boss of the 4th basement is hard to defeat so early in the game.

DevAnj

What triple element classes can I unlock specifically in the first Golden Sun game? From what little I experimented with, I could get Shinobi/Samurai/White Knight(I think, was definitely a Defender esque class though) on Isaac and Garet, and Wild Mage/Divine Mage/White Mage on Ivan and Mia. I'm also not sure if any of them are good compared to dual element classes or even some mono element ones. For instance, I don't see how Wild Mage is useful when Isaac and Garet get generally better weapons and better attack stats to go with said weapons. Shinobi is alright, mostly because of Shuriken and powerful aoes, but Samurai was surprisingly underwhelming and White Knight wasn't really much better than Defender. I suppose you can't really make two effective Defenders in this game though given the small pool of Djinn compared to the Lost Age.

Caledor

Quote from: DevAnj on 25, October, 2021, 11:39:35 PM
What triple element classes can I unlock specifically in the first Golden Sun game? From what little I experimented with, I could get Shinobi/Samurai/White Knight(I think, was definitely a Defender esque class though) on Isaac and Garet, and Wild Mage/Divine Mage/White Mage on Ivan and Mia. I'm also not sure if any of them are good compared to dual element classes or even some mono element ones. For instance, I don't see how Wild Mage is useful when Isaac and Garet get generally better weapons and better attack stats to go with said weapons. Shinobi is alright, mostly because of Shuriken and powerful aoes, but Samurai was surprisingly underwhelming and White Knight wasn't really much better than Defender. I suppose you can't really make two effective Defenders in this game though given the small pool of Djinn compared to the Lost Age.

Basically the same as TLA for the original party but you're locked to earlier tiers, just like every other class line. Wild mage is for mages though, not Isaac and Garet.

Dark Mits

"Always keep frequent backups" is something we learn... and I didn't do. Due to my own stupidity, I managed to lose my savefiles. So I go back from square 1... but the downloads do not seem to work. Both:

http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=86
http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=87

give me an "404 - Attachment not found" error.

-=EDIT=-
It seems like no download is working at all, not just for Reloaded mod. Looks like moderators needs to fix it.

Caledor

Added replacement links for the mod in the opening post, right after the FAQs.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Dark Mits

Thank you, Caledor!

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year everyone!