News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Trouble with verification email

Started by Plexa, 26, December, 2016, 10:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plexa

Hey guys. A friend of mine (Ark) is trying to register here and is unable to get the verification email. He's checked his spam folder and sent the email twice. Any advice?

Atrius (He/Him)

[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Plexa

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

That sounds sweet... Are y'all planning to do this for each individual new member with the problem, or has it been resolved?

-Awkward silence from the audience.-

Everybody get on the ark! It's here to save us from the coming flood!
Well... after we keep inventory of their visit. (AKA: Intro topic.) Then again, I'm gonna be shocked if it starts talking....

Jokes aside. How are y'all doing?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Caledor

Latest registered user WhiteMageMonk is also having issues with his verification e-mail as you can see here (look for my comment) https://www.reddit.com/r/GoldenSun/comments/5lmrb2/im_working_on_2_golden_sun_lost_age_mods/

charon the ferryman

I wonder why the verification emails keep failing, is it something to do with SMF? I don't understand why it would suddenly break though.

Rolina

GSAR is having the same problems, so it may be the email host they're using.  What are they using?  @hotmail?  @msn?

Rolina

Hey, this is starting to become a bigger issue.  I'm getting people saying that they use Gmail and weren't sent a verification email, which leads me to believe one of two things:

One:  Services are straight up deleting the emails because we have the word Hacking in our url and name.  This returns us to the issue of the name - I very much believe we should change it to GSMC, or Golden Sun Modding Community to address this possible issue.

Two:  Verification emails aren't being sent in the first place.  This is a much bigger issue if that's the case - it'd likely mean we'd have to turn off Email Verification all together.

Caledor

Quote from: Rolina on 14, January, 2017, 01:14:13 PM
One:  Services are straight up deleting the emails because we have the word Hacking in our url and name.

This would also explain why I haven't been receiving reply notification mails for a while

I don't know...

"Golden Sun Hacking Community" ... I can mail that phrase to my gmail account... and I do get mail... so I'm not sure if it is #1 or #2...
Anyone mind actually doing further testing?

e.g. Maybe they block the site sending mail, but not the words?  Assuming that is even a thing?

To verify that it isn't GSHC... you could test emailing to other servers...??? (But even then, how do we know whether they're blocking the emails... or whether it is a simple incompatibility?/etc.)

Either way... I don't want this to be a "reason" for a name change if one were to happen...
As for GSMC... it would be taken by Golden Sun MineCraft if there ever came such a thing.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Ark

gmail is what I signed up with and subsequently didn't get the verification email. Even attempting to resend it a couple times didn't help.

As for the name change: why not just shorten the name to the acronym: instead of sending mail from Golden Sun Hacking Community send it from GSHC. Wouldn't that work better since you get to keep the name as well as attempt to troubleshoot the problem?

Atrius (He/Him)

I found the problem and fixed it, verification and other emails should send successfully now.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Kain

I didn't announce it here but I disabled the email requirement for the time until a fix could be found.  Glad to see Atrius still wears the cape.  (I don't know if he re-enabled it but I'll check.)
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

Great! Thanks Atrius! (What exactly was the problem? If you don't mind me asking?)
Thank you both for giving it some attention.

Quick question, though? Is it really more useful as a requirement? Or is it more useful not having it as a requirement? (Even in the situation where there isn't an error.)

Once upon a time, maybe I thought it made sense... But I've grown to believe there's little point for it to be required... So kinda thinking if it should be discussed.
My vision is that if you give an email, you should confirm it to receive other emails... but it should not affect anything else such as one's ability to post.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden