News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Japanese text extraction?

Started by rpearl, 11, February, 2017, 06:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rpearl

Hello! My partner's both playing Golden Sun and learning Japanese; we were trying to extract the text from the Japanese version of the ROM so he can add flashcards with the English<->Japanese translations.

But, I'm having a lot of trouble actually doing this. All the data for it is available in the TLA editor (it successfully displays the text) but I can't find any way to get it *out* of the editor.

So, how do I get those bytes? Even if it's a bunch of binary and I have to match it up to actual unicode characters myself I can do so, but right now I'm having trouble even getting the data. I tried a different decompressor (https://github.com/romhack/GoldenSunCompression ) that worked with the English version but it appears the Japanese compression table and string table is in a different place and I don't know how to find it.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

rpearl

Update: I used the source of the TLA editor and hacked it apart to give me a text extractor, then transcribed the extended ascii in the game font to get unicode.

Still can't find the kanji though.