Golden Sun Hacking Community
January 16, 2018, 09:50:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Self introduction, new project in mind(Halp please)  (Read 2968 times)
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 06:17:59 AM »

0x08000000 is the address of the ROM section. (Where it is held in memory of the GBA.)
My hex editor of choice: In the distant past it was windhex.... but now days I go for something like hxd. (Not saying it is the greatest thing, but it gets the job done...)
Alternately, you can use VisualBoyAdvance's Tools>Memory viewer.... do some editing, see your changes. But they are only temporary.... Unless ofcourse you go to 0x08000000 and use the save button to save the contents/rename as .gba. (8 MB/0x800000 for GS1, 16 MB/0x1000000 bytes for GS2) -- http://imgur.com/2UhQOxu = A little fun concept tutorial I made a long time ago... unrelated to stat cap, but should get the point across.

Most of the documentation has a lot of code documented (But there's still a long way to go.) .... so it is no surprise someone first coming to it wouldn't understand it. - Learning Thumb (and maybe Arm... but not as much.) is pretty much mandatory for any serious hacking. But you can often do a lot with data tables as it is, though....
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 06:33:16 AM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Remember kids! Before you go on that interview, remember to wash your hands in teawater! *Coughs on hand* (Excuse me, I just coughed up a little teawater, so they're still clean!) You wouldn't want that hiring manager to be unimpressed.

May the force be with you!
Shoo! Why does it smell in here?
Maybe that's the wrong kind of force. *smirk*
View Profile

Novice Member

Coins: 1

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 07:11:46 AM »

Er...accidentally posted on another thread :( my bad.
I have been doing some research...so you are saying that the FA value on the byte that modifies power/res is by any chance 250? that was my deduction...I know very little of hex editing, but I assume FB would mean 251...FC 252 and so on...please correct me if I am wrong :)

Edit: :O
I have almost finished the tweaks, revamps and additions on the items on the FIRST game, I have yet modify the stats on the enemies. Overall the items in the GS1 game are going to be recieving a significant buff.
The goal of this is to make the items in the GS1 game balance out with the items in the second one, some of them are very good options to have in the reunion, but they are quickly(in some cases, instantly) overtaken by the strength of some other items already achieved by the Reunion.

Given this information, I would like to share with you the ideas I have on the characters of the 1st game.
I want Isaac to be the heavy damage dealer(Preety easy since we all know him for this.)

I want Garet to be the tough dude, he already is, but I want to make him have more presence on this aspect. The original idea on him was to make him get some extra HP and defence, and also add some counterstrike rating to some items that I would have made exclusive for him; the more you attack him, the more he can counter attack, but after seeing that this function doesn't really have any effect at all, I can already see myself submerged deeper(a lot deeper) into the editing department if I want this tweak to be a thing.

I want Ivan to be a swift and Jupiter elemental damage dealer that can either ditch heavy damage to one target or support even further than he did on the original games. This is more or less what he already does, but I Still feel like he is a lot less efficient at doing this job in comparison to Isaac and perhaps but not too much, Garet. This one is gonna be the trickiest one along with Jenna and Piers, but more on that later. I intend to make one of the following: either compress some new icons and create exclusive weapons for him or switch EVERY Jupiter aligned LIGHT BLADE to be only equip-able on him. This would make a pre-point of view of Ivan wielding a K-sword in the first game and a Phateon's blade on the second game. But there's a catch, I intend to give Ivan a second turn, provided by these exclusive weapons.
This requires a lot of thought process though, because if I don't do the right balancing, he is gonna overshadow other adepts with that extra turn. This being said, I intend to make Sheba fully a mage, and the most damaging one to be precise. But this point is gonna be harder later on, because Ivan, in mh y opinion is the party member that most fits this. This being said, I need to find out how to make Piers and Jenna stand out in whatever it is I come up with :). Please, let me know your opinion on this proposal.

And finally Mia: Nothing really much to see here, she's still the best healer in the first game. She is gonna need more attention on the second game though, but for now, increasing the cost on the AOE heals stand out. probably gonna increase her damaging capabilities.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 07:45:49 AM by Manu » Logged
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

Coins: 32

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.
Emblems: Have a nice day.

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 06:15:51 PM »

That first point: Yep, you got it! Hexadecimal is just another numeral system like decimal, but with a base of 16 rather than 10. If it helps, your computer might have a calculator application that can be switched to programmer mode. If it does then you can convert decimal values to hex and vice versa whenever you need to. The same goes for binary, which is useful sometimes although not usually a big deal where the editor is concerned.

Your plans sound pretty cool, not much else to say yet but I might think of something later on.

Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 10

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2017, 03:01:55 AM »

Heh, you and I have the same approach to fixing Garet.  Cover/Counter spells would take him from one of the more useless party members to one of the better ones.  Not sure if it's doable, but if it is I imagine understanding how the Reflux djinn works would be vital to implementing it.

View Profile WWW

Novice Member

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2017, 03:52:47 AM »

Exactly, thats why I said I see myself deep into studying how it works :( I'm scared...but totally up to the challenge :P and we don't have a reflux in GS one so it's gonna be even harder. But making Garet's durability have a use offensively is gonna make him one of a kind for sure :)
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2017, 08:19:38 PM »

I would try giving you a fix for the heightened priority effect so you could give him a few abilities with it if it were GS2, but I don't think GS1 has anything like that to fix and adding it could take a lot of work. I'll be interested to see how you make use of his durability!

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW

Novice Member

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2017, 04:11:17 AM »

Currently looking for the section on GS 1 to get the resistance and power caps(I haven't had much time to study golden sun programming because of university, it's gone ballistic) party mechanics start in #08077000 for GS1, and 080ADA86  for GS 2. So now I have to trial and error until I find the value that reflects the cap? atleast the first clue is that it will be C8 (?) or 8C? since its reversed? it's what I understood from what Fox said D:

Well crap. I found the value. But it wasn't after I realized I had to equip and de-equip a modifier that surpassed the 200 mark to check. Kill me please. Re-starting.

00077AAC: surpassed the cap after switching it to FF, Wierd stuff happening though. Is this probably a return and not the actual amount of power or resist someone has?
The resulting damage does change...but the problem is that whenever you surpass the 200 mark, it automatically jumps to 255(my head hurts)
The whole 00077AA0 line actually has 2 more values of C8. My head hurts even further :(

Er....I woke up a little less tired today...The value seems to be #00077AC8 :D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 02:46:37 PM by Manu » Logged
View Profile
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 03:33:30 PM »

party mechanics start in #08077000 for GS1, and 080ADA86  for GS 2.
Probably a typo, but GS2 Party Mechaincs is 080AD000....
But yes, you do have the right idea.

is that it will be C8 (?) or 8C? since its reversed?
If the cap is 200, it will be 0xC8....

Endian isn't about reversing the characters in the bytes themselves, but reversing the bytes for 16-bits and 32-bits.
For example, swapping 4 bytes into a 32-bit:
Big endian = 01 23 45 67 = 01234567 (Probably for Macs, etc.?)
Little endian = 01 23 45 67 = 67452301 (For Windows, GBA, DS, etc?)

I reckon if all you have is 8-bits to edit, endian likely doesn't matter?
But anyway, a little secret, but where you are editing is thumb code.... in case looking in VBA's Tools>Disassemble helps. (You may not understand it, but one step at a time should get you there like it does for me.)

Should be in this function: 08077428 = calcStats(pc) //Updates all stats?
Anytime the stats need updating (e.g. Equipping stuff/swapping djinn/etc.) This function may be called.... (Sometimes it may be called in other cases like to get the Increase by amounts/etc.... but that's another story.)
My GS1 Documentation isn't specific about what's in the function, but I imagine the cap is near the end.. . *scrolls down*...
There are a few "0xC8"... probably caps for different things.... things may look like:

@ 08077A9A:

if value < 0
{
    value = 0
}
if value > 200
{
    value = 200
}

...and again with a different value after....

@ 08077AAC = r12 = 0xC8... and this number is set to some things when value > 0xC8 ...

Conclusion: You may have to edit a few of these C8's to match. You are definitely in the right place, though.

--
Oh, and ...

I not sure if something about pastebin is messing with my browser or what... but can take some time to load.
https://pastebin.com/RmB0HRXp = My attempt at recoding Party Mechanics (GS2) in C++ that one time to be used with gbadevkit... However, at some point I found out about armips, so not so sure I'll continue this project or not. (Probably not if armips proves to be more than successful/etc.)
https://pastebin.com/WKDwPKtm - The extraction I was working on for armips. (Can't remember if this was the latest extraction or not. But is a WIP either way.)

« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 07:02:47 PM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Remember kids! Before you go on that interview, remember to wash your hands in teawater! *Coughs on hand* (Excuse me, I just coughed up a little teawater, so they're still clean!) You wouldn't want that hiring manager to be unimpressed.

May the force be with you!
Shoo! Why does it smell in here?
Maybe that's the wrong kind of force. *smirk*
View Profile

I need saves to test encounters in GS Reloaded!

Great Member

Coins: 13

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2017, 06:58:00 PM »

The resulting damage does change...but the problem is that whenever you surpass the 200 mark, it automatically jumps to 255(my head hurts)

I might know why this happens. intuitively, the cap is implemented like this:

- check if elemental value is higher than 200
- if yes, set it to 200.

If the only "200" you change is the second one, the result is what happened to you.

edit: fox said the same thing but was faster lol
View Profile

Novice Member

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2017, 07:42:24 PM »

I did the change HxD, worked fine for power, i haven't had a chance to keep tinkering but I'll get there. Now I gotta think of how to assembe a countering mechanic for Garet or come up with a new idea, which scares me and excites me equally.

On a side note, I'd like to either implement Caledors' patch or intellect patch. Which one do you think will fit better? Taking in consideration that many items will have elemental power additions. Suggestions?
By the way thanks for the replies. Apreciate

it.
View Profile

I need saves to test encounters in GS Reloaded!

Great Member

Coins: 13

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2017, 08:09:07 PM »

On a side note, I'd like to either implement Caledors' patch or intellect patch. Which one do you think will fit better? Taking in consideration that many items will have elemental power additions. Suggestions?
By the way thanks for the replies. Apreciate it.

Rolina explained the ups and downs of both perfectly some posts ago. For reference:

Quote from: Rolina
There's also the spell damage problem, where Caledor and I like using Max PP as a source to reflect elemental power, while Leaf and Squirtle came up with an Intelligence stat approach.  Both approaches are completely valid, but leads to very different feeling games and different possibilities - Caldor's patch makes high PP characters powerful spellcasters while leaving Luck intact, while Squirtle's approach opens up the option for high PP characters who aren't big spellcasters, though at the cost of luck (magic knights are a more viable possibility here).

With Squirtle's you have a separate stat, which is the best for freedom but it costs you the Luck stat.
Mine doesn't have side effects but the "intellect" stat is tied to Max PP, making PP serve both as fuel and power.

Also don't know if you've noticed yet but i also implemented some sort of a "Magic Resistance" stat, which is tied to the character's Class.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 08:11:24 PM by Caledor » Logged
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2017, 02:08:26 AM »

It really depends, as Rolina and Caledor have said.

The Intellect stat does come with ways to manipulate your "luck" despite not having an actual stat for it anymore. An item attribute allows you to give items an ailment resistance value (which is basically an item-dependent luck stat), and elemental levels also get added together into a pseudo luck stat as far as certain formulas are concerned so you could use that to your advantage when designing enemies. You also get a new damage formula to work with, allowing for Intellect-based multiplier spells. However, that means you need to use a hex editor and maybe another patch or two if you want to maximize its usefulness. I also only made one for GS2, and have no plans to make a patch for GS1 at this time.

Apparently I need to fix a couple minor bugs though, and when I get around to that then I also want to update enemy AI so enemies know how to use buffs and debuffs properly. It is still worth trying this one out if you decide to focus on GS2 and are fine with doing more hex editing, and when I finish my planned AI overhaul then I will likely make a version for this stat as well.

The Max PP one is more user friendly I would say, but your options for class/build differentiation are also limited somewhat (you can't really have a strong fighter with a good PP pool because then they can become a spellsword or even a mage instead). The same goes for enemies, meaning that it gets harder to design something like an endurance battle focused around spells if the caster's PP pool is supposed to be higher. Unless you just give them really weak spells that is. This does come with the added benefit of making classes like the Apprentice series more useful with minimal adjustment needed. Unlike the Intellect patch, there is a patch for GS2 and GS1 so you can actually use this if you want to hack both games.

I haven't actually tried this one so I can't give you any tips if you decide to use it, but it seems to get the job done if you want something easy that functions well and can be used in both games.

Maybe both? No lie, I would love to see how the two patches work with each other.

View Profile WWW

Novice Member

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2017, 04:33:20 AM »

Thanks for the explanation, it was preety straight forward.
The proposal for Ivan still remains having an extra turn. I am thinking either give it to him via Jupiter based weapons or via a ring.
To keep the matter iconic, I was thinking it to be a ring found on the Kalay secret passage or dropped by the Toadonpa, since Ivan starts falling behind about in that point in terms of damage. But it's gonna be really hard in terms of balancing, because if Ivan gets an extra turn, he might be able to crush enemies with his psynergy. I might reduce his PP pool and make his class more bent towards dealing damage with his basic attack, but still have a fairly good alternative when it comes to casting spells, but I want that full magic-style to be set on Sheba. Think of it as the hard hitting mage that bursts through his mana but is not instantly useless when he runs out of it(?)

Many ideas on this future patch have the goal of separating Isaac from Felix and Sheba from Ivan, because they were way too much alike.
Originally the idea was to give Sheba another class tree, then I saw the class separation patch.
But I dont wanna get ahead of myself, I am on the mere beggining on TBS, I dont wanna think TLA just yet; However I must delve into TLA and try to figure our how Reflux works.
Items are gonna play a key part in this patch, such as the ''Hammet's Heirloom'' which is the extra turn ring idea I have for Ivan right now. In the meantime...Does anyone know how reflux work? lol, or where is it?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 04:36:18 AM by Manu » Logged
View Profile
leaf
Potions class is starting
Venus Clan

Death Eater+Grass Snake = Snake Eater? SNAAAAAAAKE

Veteran Member

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2017, 04:35:04 AM »

Maybe both? No lie, I would love to see how the two patches work with each other.
If they're even compatible together, you'd have to gut spell power across the board to keep it balanced. Having two sources of damage for spells but only one for physical attacks means that spells are going to scale quadratically while physical attacks only scale linearly.

Spoiler for quotes:
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2017, 05:35:11 AM »

Honestly, the way I personally want to do it just isn't possible in a GS hack - it's why I don't work on hacks of my own, but want to make a game separately.

I like the addition of two stats:  Casting and Warding.  These are used as Attack and Defense, but for pure spell attacks.
I want to have psynergy be affected by what weapons you have equipped.  
I want to change summons to be actual summons.  There would be a 'character slot' behind each character, and when they summon that slot is occupied by that summon for four turns.  Only one instance of a summon can be on the battle field at one time (multiple people cannot cast summons like Megaera at the same time).  Attempting to summon something already on the battlefield would result in the call not being answered, and the character be left with their turn wasted (not even defending).  If they drop to 0 HP when their summon is still on the field, the summon vanishes.  Humantype foes can summon as well, and some monster types.
I want to change how djinn work - to make a step in between the djinn and how many you can use.  This opens up the ability to swap out djinn as you need, while also helping to pace the game well.  Ideally, there'd be 4x the number of djinn, but you can only equip the same amount.
I'd like to have several more types of spells - Cover/Counter spells, Enchant spells, Shield spells, and reflect spells.
I've a variety of ailments I'd like to add, and several I'd like to make more powerful and useful.  Ideally, using ailments and debuffs should be just as viable as doing damage, and in some cases far more so.
I've got a lot of changes I'd like to do to enemies and their behaviors.  A lot of inspiration I have comes from D&D 4e, so I'd likely base enemy behaviors on the enemy types there.

@Quadratic Spells:  Leaf makes a good point here.  That's not likely going to be a good idea, unless you want to invert the relationship of physical and spell damage that exists now.  Ideally, they should be equal to one another overall, with some cases preferring physical damage and some preferring spell damage.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 05:37:01 AM by Rolina » Logged

View Profile WWW
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Yesterday at 07:26:16 PM
Fox: (path) 1 text=(address) char=(address) free=(address) ; << Well, closer to this... but yeah... even if I do choose to have defaults in the code, I could still use this method for overrides.
Yesterday at 07:24:28 PM
Fox: So like (path) 0 text=(address) char=(address) len=(number) ; (path) 1 free=(address) ; Or something. But that's just a quick example.
Yesterday at 06:59:14 PM
Fox: Hopefully. I was wanting to make it so you could put in the addresses/etc. as one of the arguments in the path. Hm?
Yesterday at 03:37:07 PM
KyleRunner: Nice! I hope you'll add compatibility with others games (GS1, Mario Golf and Tennis) soon.
January 14, 2018, 11:40:09 PM
Fox: Okay. Posted (in Downloads section) an initial cutdown version for now, for my text compressor. Basically to separate the code from my Editor for anyone who wants to mess with it. It only supports GS2, because I still didn't add the addresses/etc. for the other games.
January 14, 2018, 05:01:00 PM
Fox: Okay! Going to need to think how I want it to work. Initial thoughts is maybe have a number of arguments in the filepath thing. And have a number of shortcuts (files) to be used as examples. Assuming there are no problems.
January 14, 2018, 10:38:24 AM
KyleRunner: Well... I'm used to editing text ina a text editor, so... yes! Thanks in advance!
January 13, 2018, 11:38:43 PM
Fox: (Text editor = Text Document like notepad.)
January 13, 2018, 11:38:21 PM
Fox: Would you prefer during the text editing in a text editor? (Like what gstoolkit lets you do?) I could probably make a separate tool or something to compress it.
January 13, 2018, 10:10:02 PM
KyleRunner: Ok. Once I finish my Lost Age translation, I'll try a Mario Golf one. Thanks. (But I'll need help).
January 13, 2018, 10:03:17 PM
Fox: If you want to make it "permanent" (part of a hack), then you'd edit code in the ROM that writes to this location of the IDs you'd want to change. (You can find these locations by using a breakpoint debugger like SDL-H or no$gba.)
January 13, 2018, 10:00:11 PM
Fox: Reload/switch = Recommended to be done through Debug mode/warp menu, ofcourse... since doors seem to appear as if they were disabled? ; 03001238:01 and B+Start to get to warp menu.
January 13, 2018, 09:55:39 PM
Fox: @Kyle Runner = It might be, but you'd have to use the correct addresses for Mario Golf, rather than for GS2 as I have it right now. ; @raijinken = Yes. 02000454 = ID of leader. (Change this and reload/switch room you are in, enjoy.)
January 13, 2018, 02:23:29 PM
raijinken: Hey guys, is it possible to somehow change the lead character on the map? Was wondering. I remember there was a cheat to use Jenna, but what if I wanted Isaac, or Piers?
January 13, 2018, 02:10:03 PM
KyleRunner: Hey, Fox *
January 13, 2018, 02:09:37 PM
KyleRunner: Hey, is your text editor compatible with Mario Golf (GBA)?
January 11, 2018, 08:33:13 PM
Fox: But if it isn't an oversight, I still can't imagine it being that useful.
January 11, 2018, 08:28:24 PM
Fox: part, ofcourse.
January 11, 2018, 08:28:15 PM
Fox: 0200274C = Hmm... Stuff happens here when you use Cyclone around bushes. (These cause tile replacements, and setting event 0 to those tiles.) - And I guess this kept here so it can be scanned after battle. (To re-update the map.) So here is my fun thought (assuming if it is even possible, or even convenient if so.) ... Are there any events from other maps that could be disabled do to using Cyclone on bushes + Retreat glitch? I'll need to do some testing to make sure this isn't an oversight on my
January 09, 2018, 08:09:26 PM
Fox: And the chance for a Djinni battle is 50%.

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise