Golden Sun Hacking Community
April 20, 2018, 12:40:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello  (Read 4272 times)

Novice Member

Coins: 1

« on: April 06, 2017, 01:14:15 PM »

Hello guys, I'm Baransu.

I've been following this site for quite sometime ever since the release of the editor but never really got around to joining it until now.

There's quite a few patches on this site that i'm interested in playing around with such as the Intellect patch as I like the idea of having a dedicated offense stat for mages since they never really scaled properly to endgame and the PP patch doesn't scale them as evenly as I'd hope. Not too keen about the hex editing part but it shouldn't be too hard once I get the hang of it.

I'm definitely looking forward to be a part of this community.
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

Coins: 32

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.
Emblems: Have a nice day.

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 08:29:56 PM »

Hey there, welcome!

It's pretty nice to know that you are interested in the Intellect patch! I would just keep in mind that I think I forgot to update the enemy AI to accommodate it so enemy behaviour when using the related buffs/debuff and Break effects may be a little off, but other than that it still works pretty well for its purpose.

It'll be great to have you here I'm sure, and don't hesitate to ask for help if you need it!

Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW

Novice Member

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 05:59:42 AM »

I've been using your Intellect patch and its working out fairly well so far in terms of expected damage. However whenever I use the buffs, the game displays wrong values compared to amount that the character is supposed to be receiving. The debuffs on the other hand seem to work out alright although they wear off a little too quickly for my liking.

One other question, is there any particular order in which I should apply these patches? For example would using the Intellect patch cause any other patch to break/not work properly?

* gs2hack_01.png (139.25 KB, 480x480 - viewed 90 times.)
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 01:42:12 AM »

Huh, that's weird. I may have forgotten to correct an error in there somewhere; I'll check later.

As for the debuff effects, how quickly do they wear off compared to the Attack debuffs? If I recall correctly they are supposed to have the same likelihood of wearing off at 30%, so if they tend to wear off sooner than Attack then I may have made a calculation error there as well.

Particular order: Not that I can think of. I know for my patches I usually try to describe a proper order if there is one on the download pages but there is always the possibility that they won't function 100% properly with patches that other people make. I also try to make mine compatible with each other, barring the odd exception. Which patches are you applying?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 02:15:50 AM by Lord Squirtle » Logged

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW

Novice Member

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 01:44:32 PM »

They're supposed wear off at a rate of 30%? Strange because they tend to wear off within 1-2 turns of application.

As for the patches that I plan on using, I'm considering:
5% Stat Increments
Reflux Unlimited
Simple Success Rates
Enemy Specific Immunities
Animation Overhaul
Advanced Reviving
Wave Animation
Intellect Patch

If possible, I'd like to come up with a way to nerf the HP% damage that summons, and a way to completely separate Jenna and Piers' classes from Felix/Sheba since they'd crossover at high djinn levels.
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 10

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 06:03:24 PM »

We've kinda already done that last one.  Most common approach is to drop the damage form 3% per djinn to 2% per djinn.  Some even lock stronger summons behind later turns, though some of us (myself included) think that goes a bit too far.

View Profile WWW

Novice Member

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 06:20:49 PM »

I'm assuming that there's a patch that makes nerfing summons a thing then?

On a side note, it seems as if setting the intellect equivalents to be 20% higher than their physical counterparts is ideal in terms of letting mages deal comparable damage to physical characters. I'd definitely need to do a heavy overhaul in terms of equipment progression and availability since I didn't really like how physical characters could use every weapon type except for Staves/Ankhs in TLA along with the fact that the stuff from Lemuria were overall better than anything you could buy for a very long time. I'm also looking at revamping spells a bit (particular pp costs and power) since there's a lot of redundant/underused spells.
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 08:13:02 PM »

There is the Simple Summons patch, which replaces the function the game uses now with a byte table where you change the added damage values.

For class separation, you'll either need to use the editor setting or code around it to avoid the editor overwriting your changes. Not really sure how the editor handles that, and it's one of the more annoying features but little can be done unless a fix is made for it.

As for the turn/duration bit, would you mind testing something for me? #08FB8A00 has an instruction to use the value xA5, would you mind changing that to xA4 and then checking to see if anything changes? This part of the code calculates the RAM address of the buff/debuff values and I think I may have accidentally entered the wrong value here.

I'll check the text thing later!

Balance setting: That's good to know. I noticed originally when testing that psynergy either started out the same or weaker, but gradually grew stronger as you progress through the game. Still not quite as strong as warriors in most cases but an improvement all the same.

View Profile WWW
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 08:41:41 PM »

^ Yes, Simple Summons if you want to go down to 2% (With some hex editing of that table...) - Prior to the patch/as it was in original code... I'm guessing it was an optimized switch statement... those can look pretty cluttered in compiled format. (Small switch statements may leave out a pointer table, while larger switch statements include them?)

Atrius's Class Separation Patch only divides the two parties.... so yes, you'll need to code something in... The patch Atrius's inserts is very simply, though... (Probably only like ~4 or so instructions, but I forget.)
Which amounts to... if PC is in second party (PC id >= 4), then add 20 to class type.... and then compares that number with the class types in all the classes to figure out which class you'll be getting. ...
To separate them for each character, it could be as simple as pc id * 20 ... But I not sure if anyone is interested in have a ka-billion different classes with the amount of time and effort it could take to make??

@A5 to A4 ... No, I think that's already correct... you're suppose to get the PC # so you can set the arg for this function:
080AFFAC = get_elemental_levels(pc,pcDjinnRamAddr,sp) pc can be 0-7 for PCs, or 8+ for enemies.; Return 0.
Which in the Intellect patch, should return the total of all elemental levels. (No longer is 0.)
Now days, I'm kind of curious if calling that function was a good idea or not....?  .... Hm.... I figured it doesn't matter much.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 09:02:58 PM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Remember kids! Before you go on that interview, remember to wash your hands in teawater! *Coughs on hand* (Excuse me, I just coughed up a little teawater, so they're still clean!) You wouldn't want that hiring manager to be unimpressed.

May the force be with you!
Shoo! Why does it smell in here?
Maybe that's the wrong kind of force. *smirk*
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 09:13:03 PM »

Oh yeah, oops! It's been a while; I'll check that again later.

View Profile WWW

Novice Member

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 01:29:35 AM »

I'm only really interested in completely separating Jenna and Piers from their counterparts since Felix and Sheba only really warrant having a different base class compared to Isaac/Garet although the problem of having to copy paste the stats over still exists. Maybe I can look at one of the hacks on this site and see some possible solutions for it.
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 04:39:10 PM »

Makes sense!

One more question for you; what are the Luck stats of the characters recovering from the Intellect debuffs?

View Profile WWW

Novice Member

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 11:11:59 PM »

Luck is based off total element level right? Then its 9 on Sheba/Jenna/Piers and 8 on Felix, while their vanilla luck stat turned agility is 7/4/6/3 on Sheba/Jenna/Piers/Felix respectively.
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 03:37:02 AM »

Sounds good. No equipment bonuses either I assume?

I'm going to be kinda busy over the next couple days or so, but I'll try to squeeze a fix or at least a little research into my schedule soon. You can check around #08124828 if you're familiar with thumb/assembly at all, since the code that checks the Intellect buffs should be around here. If not then that will be the first thing I look into (I have VBA open and everything)!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 03:40:45 AM by Lord Squirtle » Logged

View Profile WWW

Novice Member

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 04:51:20 AM »

Take your time, no real rush on my end for you get this fixed right away when most of the stats and stuff for the hack need to be planned out, not to mention that patches need to be applied to the rom.

The only equipment bonuses were +10 HP and +50 Wind Resist on Felix and +15 Wind Power on Sheba. I had set the Intellect buff to Wind but I don't think that has anything to do with it right?

I'm currently trying to figure out how to balance out equipment now that Intellect's an actual stat and Agility got revised to be a single digit stat like Luck was. Not quite sure if a weapon type that buffs agility would be a wise idea in this system unless the light blade characters had lower agility modifiers overall barring Ivan.
View Profile
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Yesterday at 11:29:46 PM
Atrius: @Fox, I tried, but for some reason Mario Golf won't boot, and Mario Tennis crashes when you patch out the text compression, and I'm not sure why...  The normal text loading functions in them are basically the same as the ones in the Golden Sun games.
April 16, 2018, 07:44:36 AM
Drake baku: So it took about halve a hour of letting my lap stay off for it to suddenly work again
April 16, 2018, 07:31:28 AM
Drake baku: All of a sudden fox his editor gets errors. When trying to start it, thing worked fine yesterday...
April 14, 2018, 01:04:37 PM
Fox: @Mario Golf/text editing = Nope... And it may be awhile yet. I think I looked into it before... (at least for GS1)... but usually is the case when I come across a particular problem, that it can delay a solution for an extremely long time.
April 12, 2018, 04:27:14 PM
KyleRunner: Gee... never used discord...
April 12, 2018, 06:03:23 AM
Drake baku: I take it back, found it
April 12, 2018, 06:02:01 AM
Drake baku: But there is no discord link to be found
April 12, 2018, 06:01:44 AM
Drake baku: Everyone is on discord
April 11, 2018, 09:44:06 PM
KyleRunner: Fox, what about that tool for editing text in Mario Golf? Didi you finish it? If not, can you make a version of gstoolkit compatible with it?
April 11, 2018, 07:41:25 AM
Drake baku: Mauw
March 30, 2018, 07:26:11 PM
Salanewt: Hi!
March 29, 2018, 07:37:45 PM
ThanatosTheDark: YYEEEOOOOOO
March 12, 2018, 02:21:06 AM
Fox: say*
March 12, 2018, 02:20:53 AM
Fox: I saw we need an event this April Fools/Easter... because two holidays are in one, why would we not want to miss having something special? (Unfortunately, there's no one here to make an event be successful.)
March 12, 2018, 02:18:17 AM
Fox: And since that's the case...  I have thought of another fun experiment idea. - What if we had an auction on who should run this site, and waited for 10 people to bid and also for a bare minimum of 24 hours. Who would bid the highest, and how much would that bid be? - The idea is more for lulz (Maybe for April Fools?), and a theory to get an idea of how much the site might be worth as well.
March 11, 2018, 03:02:31 AM
Fox: Creepy, isn't it?
March 10, 2018, 02:19:04 AM
Fox: It's frog legs now.. It's something that's dead, but somehow still manages to wiggle.
March 09, 2018, 04:12:17 AM
JamietheFlameUser: I think this place is still dead.
March 02, 2018, 09:43:18 AM
Pkmn-Master: Lol I haven't been here in like 6 years. How is everyone?
February 26, 2018, 06:15:34 AM
Salanewt: Heads up: I finally finished the Wisp animation hack, and it has been posted in the downloads section.

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise