News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Minor graphical issues and improvements

Started by Caledor, 25, April, 2017, 05:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caledor

Hello guys

This is about the minor graphic issue i told earlier today in the chatbox.

As you can see in the first image there are text spillover issues in the character stat box (class line) cause the box isn't symmetrical around the arrow: the first class always fits but the arrow takes a character's space from the second one.

What i want to do: increase the width of the character's box by one character, and while i'm at it, reorganize the other box as well to make the whole thing look even better.

Also, by comparing the "1" and "3" pics you can notice that the djinn icon is not aligned to the box at its right like the psynergy menu one is (as well as the others from ALL other menus).

From a superficial first look I managed to tweak the djinn box (pic 2) but i couldn't find the values for the other box nor the ones for the djinn icon.

The function i studied starts at 0804868C (= Djinn menu), the values i edited to tweak the djinn box are at 080486F4, reduced the first 2 movs by 1 byte and increased the next 2 by one. The pics show my work on the italian version but the addresses here are about the ENG one.

So... does anybody want to investigate this thing with me? :P

Salanewt

Well, for the djinn icon it looks like they moved it over a bit to fit the "[R]: Psynergy Gained" text line in the other window for the English translation, but with your planned changes it could probably be lined up with the other window and not be an issue now.

I can take a quick look soon, there's a pretty good chance that one or both of those things are handled in their own functions. 
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Caledor

Quick update: I found the other box coords, width and height. They're at 08046518.

I also want to rearrange better the stats so i found the current stats (before the up or down arrow) x pos, starting at 08046654.

Now all that's left to find is the djinn menu icon position, the up down arrow x coord and the stat after the djinn change (after the arrow) x pos. Will look later today.

Edit: found the arrow coord and the new stat x pos too! All that's left is the djinn menu icon position!
Image attached. it's starting to look good!

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

@Djinn icon

02035E1C = Battle menu RAM
02035E20 = Should be where the icon's coords are... (etc.)

0804C19C = Y (8-bit)

0804C7BC = X (9-bit)

Well, the final values, anyway. (They are set to 0,0, and then x to 0x80(? Based on SDL-H) or 0x60 (Based on what I quickly looked at in Disassembler.)... or whatever (Only through brief viewing... so didn't figure out what was going on.) ... etc. before being assigned their final value, it seems....)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Caledor

Thanks Fox!

I'll edit this post later to show the final result.

Edit: Pics attached! I can't quite decide between v1 and v2 so tell me which one you guys like more.

Looking good! Good job...

@V1/V2: That may be a hard pick..... but I vote V2.

--
You are welcome!
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

I remember having a similar discussion with some of the others a few years ago about the character naming/pre-text crawl screens. I'm more inclined to vote for V1 but with the box height reduced so it's even with the stat window, because it looks weird having that tiny bit of open space being surrounded by boxes. The downside is the icon placement.

Now I'm wondering how it would look if you could fit six djinn entries per window instead of five.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Caledor

Quote from: Lord Squirtle on 26, April, 2017, 10:51:27 AM
I'm more inclined to vote for V1 but with the box height reduced so it's even with the stat window

So basically v2's box moved up by one. I briefly considered that but then i thought it'd be the only menu that doesn't start at the bottom of the screen.

QuoteNow I'm wondering how it would look if you could fit six djinn entries per window instead of five.
We have to reduce the space between lines for that to happen, and i honestly have no clue. And I already think i kinda lucked out by finding almost everything so easily with this one lol :P

Salanewt

Lol, makes sense. I'm actually really curious about the line spacing myself, so I'm taking a quick look right now because I'm stumped on the Intellect buff text bugs and want to take a break from that. Nothing yet but I somehow managed to let characters use djinn that they don't have!

If you can make six spaces, I'd be interested in knowing if seven slots can be done simply because that's how many each PC has in GS1. So yes, if it is doable, I see a possible patch in your near future?

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Salanewt

Well, this is what I have so far:

Torch for reference.

I still need to figure out exactly where line spacing happens of course. Based on what I have done so far 7 should be doable at the very least, although I can't say for sure if it will look good or not.

Edit: Actually, I might even be able to fit 10 in here...

Caledor

I was thinking... since I'm already at it I might as well fix the item box as well.

The in battle box for the item menu is smaller than the one shown in the field menu and places a constraint on name length for items.

I've already found all the values i need but one: the coords, width and height for the box that contains the item you're trying to use. See image attached for reference.

Do you guys know where those values are?

The panel call at 0804CA98?
createPanel(x=9,y=17,width=16,height=3,flags=0x6)

(P.S. Found it quickly by using SDL-H, and setting a breakpoint on the 08039260 function...)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Caledor

Thanks again Fox!

PS. You know... I really don't like using SDL-H... I don't have the saves there and i always feel like it takes me forever to find something. Still, you gave me a very nice tip that i immediately used to find the psynergy menu version of the box i asked you.

I realized that i can do the same in standard VBA since i've been using a trick to replicate a breakpoint for as long as i can remember. Don't know why it didn't occur to me before :P

If I recall, I think .sav files work fine.... but there can be incompatibilities with savestates....(If saving from normal VBA and loading through SDL-H.)

You could also try using no$gba debugger as another alternative. (Which is probably easier to use.) In scenarios where it doesn't work, it can be worth making sure you have the bios files. There's a wonderful paradise where those are at. *hint*hint* if you ever need them.

Trick? Let me guessing? Something with having an unconditional branch point to itself? I don't do that myself, but sounds like a neat idea!
Sometimes just looking in the stack for pointers is enough....

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Caledor

Quote from: Fox on 27, April, 2017, 02:38:17 PM
Trick? Let me guessing? Something with having an unconditional branch point to itself?

Yep lol. Write DEFE in the memory viewer and you have a breakpoint. The rest is probably the same as you did, one look at the link registry and i found the panel call.

I always used this trick when i needed to test the functions i changed.

Okay. Cool. And yeah, I check what is in r14/lr.

Problem though.... Even when you do use that method.... you don't always see the results you want. (Sometimes you do, and then you don't..... it's like the register values can still change... )

It seems to be correct when on mode 0x1F, but I sometimes see mode 0x1B ... (I assume each of the major modes have their own pc/program counter address... (As well as other registers / kinda been knowing something like that-ish, but wasn't really sure how that all worked out.... outside of what I saw as the boot code stuff.)... and that's why.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Caledor

Quote from: Fox on 27, April, 2017, 04:33:48 PM
Okay. Cool. And yeah, I check what is in r14/lr.

Problem though.... Even when you do use that method.... you don't always see the results you want. (Sometimes you do, and then you don't..... it's like the register values can still change... )

Don't know much about modes but i know that when i break that way and go to the disassembler, sometimes the instructions are in the 03xxxxxx range and sometimes in the 00/08xxxxxx range (might actually be this lol) If by pressing next i see the 03 range i click the emulator and try again. if i'm in the 00/08 range i hit next till i return to the breakpoint: this way i'm positive that the registries contains the values i'm looking for.

BTW, everything's done for English TLA: Djinn menu, Item menu and selected item panels are larger; moreover, all selected command/item/psy/summon panels are now centered (as much as possible). I'll release a separate patch for this soon.

Just looked again... Oh wait... mode 0x1F does the 03 section too... probably Interrupts (whatever that is?), but I will have to check to make sure.
(I think Mode 0x1B was in the BIOS section? - But then, that is just from quick testing, so....)

And awesome! Sounds like a plan.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Caledor