Golden Sun Hacking Community
August 24, 2017, 10:26:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Translation issues  (Read 351 times)

New User

Coins: 0

« on: May 18, 2017, 11:10:01 AM »

Hello everyone!

I'm doing a translation of GS1 into catalan and it's almost done. I've been using Golden Sun Translation Toolkit since it's easy to apply and understand.

I'm having some issues that i would like to solve but I don't know how to do it the right way.
I've seen that the game (usa version) doesn't read special characters like à, è, é, ç while in combat, it just ignores them. I've tried using another rom, but the gstoolkit doesn't work with them.
For now the only way I found to make it work was changing the font. I've seen that the symbols (%&$<>) can be readed in combat, so I just changed them with tile molester. The problem now is that the words that are used inside and outside combat (items) have those symbols in their name when they are used outside combat. That makes me think that the game uses 2 fonts, but I couldn't fint the second to modify it.
The other way to solve it is allowing the game to read those special characters in combat, but I have no idea how to do it.

I'm also having problems with the codes that add "a", "an", "that", is there a way to change the words they put?
View Profile
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 01:55:43 PM »

Hello there.

Sounds cool. Unfortunately, I've never heard of Catalan (If I have, I don't recall it...)....
Using the GS Toolkit is fine. Even after you're finished, using the text compression is still an option, so long as it supports char trees regeneration. (Atrius's Editor doesn't support that, and therefore I do not recommend his text editor for any real text editing...) - I could probably hook it up to my algorithm, make a few minor tweaks, and be good to go... However, that probably would make more sense if there were actual space issues...

Yep! There are at least two fonts! One is italics, the other is not. Both are uncompressed. Although, the italic one is a bit weird, since it's like 14x14, and oddly aligned, I think...

Memory viewer addresses. (Remove 08 prefix for hex editor equivalent.)
0x08032224 = Italic text (Weirdly formatted... As each char starts with  two bytes for the width of the character... and then its pixel data to form a 14x14 tile...) ... I feel like I should link this for some reason: http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=2582.msg43180#msg43180
0x08320FB0 = Non-italic text

@a, an, that : You mean "a", "an", "some", "the", right? Which is uncompressed at 0x08033E28.

while in combat, it just ignores them.
I can probably look into that a bit later if needed... Maybe patch the code up a bit.... Probably will look into it soon anyway. :D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 02:25:27 PM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...
*Cross my fingers and hope we have Big Brother All-Stars next year... with Paulie & Cody Califorie(sp?)... and Vanessa & Tiffany Rousso.... Would be fun? :P Especially if one of the boys got evicted early since there's usually some all-guy alliance in there, right?
View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 12:14:10 PM »

You should not use the USA version, but the Italian one.
It supports lots of special characters. I used it in my Portuguse translation.
The "normal" toolkit cannot extract the text, but can reinsert it to the rom just fine. So, if you manage (as I did) to put the text in the exact ordem from the italian rom, it will work.
I don´t know why, but the italian rom is better to translate, because it supports more lines in the dialogues.

Or... you could ask Caledor for his already compatible with the italian rom toolkit .

The good news is that the Lost Age USA version supports a lot of special characters.
View Profile

New User

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 01:29:09 PM »

I've managed to "solve" that issue with the special characters in combat. Modifying both fonts seems to be enough for me, even if it's not the best way to make it work.
Anyway I'll to try to put the text inside an italian rom and see what happens, I hope I won't need to replay the game again.
View Profile

I need saves to test encounters in GS Reloaded!

Great Member

Coins: 13

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 01:32:32 PM »

Anyway I'll to try to put the text inside an italian rom and see what happens, I hope I won't need to replay the game again.
Saves are compatible if that's what you're worried about. The only thing that is not carried over when you share saves between the ITA and USA versions is the position: you'll go back to the last sanctum visited.
View Profile
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 04:56:29 PM »

The only thing that is not carried over when you share saves between the ITA and USA versions is the position: you'll go back to the last sanctum visited.
Probably because the Build Date that is saved is different.
The Build Date is a string of numbers in the ROM, but it is converted to a 16 bit, and stored in two places. (Also, the debug mode (if enabled) does "Or" 0x8000 to it, I believe.)
In GS1, the addresses are:
0x02000240 = Must Save before you can see it.
0x020004F8 = There from the beginning...

So it is just GS1 (U) with the special characters inaccessible? Interesting...

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...
*Cross my fingers and hope we have Big Brother All-Stars next year... with Paulie & Cody Califorie(sp?)... and Vanessa & Tiffany Rousso.... Would be fun? :P Especially if one of the boys got evicted early since there's usually some all-guy alliance in there, right?
View Profile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
August 20, 2017, 08:59:37 PM
Fox: Same... depending on whether they've used tricks instead or not.
August 20, 2017, 08:02:49 PM
Salanewt: I could see it counting.
August 20, 2017, 11:24:44 AM
Fox: Not sure if Zelda (LttP/Minish Cap) count or not...
August 20, 2017, 11:23:00 AM
Fox: Appararently, I can't think of many GBA games that do the psuedo-3D thing. (That being 2D maps with 3D-like collision...) Golden Sun and Superstar Saga come to mind, though... but I'll need to think about others, since it is quite possible i've simply forgotten....
August 19, 2017, 03:45:19 PM
Fox: Hmm... Thought: What if Isaac and co. weren't on Jupiter Lighthouse when Felix and co. were... I wonder if the story could have had a huge expansion, in this case.
August 18, 2017, 12:18:56 PM
Fox: Welcome back!
August 18, 2017, 09:12:43 AM
Luna_blade: back from vacation
August 17, 2017, 02:29:26 AM
Fox: That moment when you realize that there is a lot of chatting going on on Discord, that there is no point in trying to keep up. :P  Hm....
August 16, 2017, 04:50:22 AM
Fox: (Then again, just because posting is disabled, doesn't necessarily mean the buttons would be removed as well.)
August 16, 2017, 04:48:55 AM
Fox: (I mean, buttons I would expect to be similar to that.... rather than those specifically since I recall posting there to be disabled.)
August 16, 2017, 04:33:02 AM
Fox: Yeah... I like to think of it as a page loaded with ads. And it's not just the forum home page either... check the sub-forums/topics themselves. == New Topic/Reply/etc. buttons were affected.
August 15, 2017, 07:04:30 PM
Salanewt: Lol, nice. :P
August 15, 2017, 06:33:02 PM
Foxhttp://z9.invisionfree.com/Golden_Sun_Hacking/index.php? == Hahaha! GSHC Classic looks funny now that Photobucket killed the images. :P Anyway, how is everyone doing today?
August 14, 2017, 07:12:02 PM
Salanewt: So yeah, I'm typing up a non-academic essay on why GS2 was rushed; expect that sometime soon!
August 07, 2017, 05:53:11 AM
Fox: But anyway, such a hack mod is simply an idea, and I do not have any current plans to work on it at this time, so.....
August 07, 2017, 05:51:46 AM
Fox: Okay, cool. I think my idea works best without an ability to swap PCs (OR to just simply make that use it the PC's turn.) Hmmm... And with that, I question if a turn list is even needed with my approach. (Outside of maybe 1 entry, if that shortens the modifications.)
August 07, 2017, 05:13:26 AM
Salanewt: To be honest I've been thinking of expanding the battle turn section and also adding code for PCs to have more than two turns in the AI overhaul, but I probably won't allow anyone to have more than four.
August 06, 2017, 12:22:17 AM
Fox: Oh, and if that approach was taken = Would like to also have it so you select the spell to use when it is actually your turn rather than at round start.
August 06, 2017, 12:12:37 AM
Fox: Would take a lot of balancing, but I can see an adept being very slow, and yet very powerful.
August 06, 2017, 12:06:11 AM
Fox: And bosses can have an Agility that is above half of the maximum possible Agility. Mwahaha.

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise