News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Complete Class Separation for Jenna and Piers

Started by Baransu, 05, June, 2017, 10:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baransu

I know that we have a class separation patch that can be used to split Team 1 and Team 2 but what I'm looking for is a patch that completely separates Jenna/Piers' classes from Felix/Sheba's lines so I can properly put them in line with their other warrior/mage characters because as it is now they still share the symbiotic and tri classes even with the current patch.

Salanewt

I think you might be able to do it if you change how class types are assigned to them, but I haven't really tried experimenting with this before aside from trying to switch the characters who are assigned their base classes (unsuccessfully too, because of the editor).

I think Fox might know a good way of doing that since he looked into class stuff pretty recently!
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

It depends on which method he'd like to do.

-You could do a direct PC check and class type check.
-Or you could change the values in the Class Type table.

Class Type Table is explained here: http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=475.msg11653#msg11653
Same table at 0x080C6604 in memory viewer.

QuoteIt goes like this:  Primary Secondary

1 -  :VenusStar: :VenusStar:
2 -  :MarsStar: :MarsStar:
3 -  :VenusStar: :MercuryStar: , :MarsStar: :MercuryStar:
4 -  :VenusStar: :MarsStar: , :MarsStar: :VenusStar:
5 -  :VenusStar: :JupiterStar: , :MarsStar: :JupiterStar:
6 -  :MercuryStar: :MercuryStar:
7 -  :JupiterStar: :JupiterStar:
8 -  :JupiterStar: :VenusStar: , :MercuryStar: :VenusStar:
9 -  :JupiterStar: :MarsStar: , :MercuryStar: :MarsStar:
10 -  :JupiterStar: :MercuryStar: , :MercuryStar: :JupiterStar:
11 - (And below = Item Classes, etc.)[/font]

This list should make it easier to tell that Venus and Mars share similar classes just like Jupiter and Mercury.
I think at some point, it actually occurred to me that each PC can only access a class type when their element is either Primary or Secondary, so keep that in mind. (As long as you don't edit their elemental levels or give a lot more amount of djinn than is currently possible, that is....)

So for example, in an unmodified game, Ivan and Mia will never get class type 4, ever... while Ivan could get class type 5 or Mia to class type 3 near end game. (I think?)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Caledor

I kinda did what you want for my own mod so i'll sum it up here.

1) I tweaked the values in the table so that A/B had the same number of B/A (like 4 is both for venus mars and mars venus). This allowed me to use only numbers from 0-9.

2) then i worked on the class function: originally the class function is identical to the one GS1 uses with 2 exception. If it finds Jenna (character id 5) AND class code 2 (mono mars) then set the class code to 13. Same story for Piers (id 7 and class code 6 then swap to cc 14).

What i did: after calculating class code, add 20, multiply char id by 10 and add it to class code. This allows for FULL separation since in my tweaked table class codes go from 0 to 9 only. Isaac has classes in the 20-29 range, garet 30-39 etc. (the +20 is cause i lazily avoided messing with item classes, which are forced at 15, 16 and 17)

The downsides are: i have to make all classes for each character (even duplicates) AND there is not enough space.

So i set up exceptions like the ones originally used for jenna and piers: if you find Felix and he is NOT in his base class, then change his character id to Isaac's. Basically felix's char id will be used only for his unique base class and he'll be seen as isaac in all other cases. Same for Sheba, which falls back to ivan for all of her classes instead of the base one.

Baransu

So if I do the PC and Class Type check, then I'd make the game do comparisons where if say Jenna meets the requirement for say Class Type 3 then it would load 23 instead where as if I did Caledor's method then I'd have to make duplicates of a lot of classes?

Which method would be easier to implement given the current tools? Because right now a very bothersome problem is the lack of a copy paste function in the current editor.

Baransu

Okay so well, I'm trying to make some exceptions for these classes (and a few others but those aren't stated in yet). I have a basic idea of what i'm supposed to do in that i know which parts to alter to suit the class type id and pc idea but i don't quite understand what i'm supposed to copy or move in the data.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

So I guess you wanted the class type chart to have full PC separation. (Well, good enough to be able to link them together.)

The image attached should do that( Each row for each PC, but otherwise in the same order as the old CT Chart), but I haven't put in the proper values for your specific layout yet.
The
-Isaac
-Felix
-Garet
-Mercury
-Brute
-Jupiter

-^Same for Ivan/Mia/Sheba

-Jenna

-Piers

-The Lost Age introduced separating Jenna's base class from Garet / Piers from Mia... However, Dark Dawn does much more, by separating all PC base classes and for two other class types. In case that should affect any decisions.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Baransu

Thanks a lot, I've managed to get the new class chart system to work. What I did in the end was that using the chart that you made, I assigned Felix's new class to 15, Jenna uses 16 to 19, Sheba uses 1B and Piers uses 1A and 1C-1E. This makes it easier for me to track since its basically just the old values shifted up by 20.