News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Concept for editing Icons (faces, weapons, magic, etc)

Started by Attila, 09, June, 2017, 04:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Attila

Okay, so the fact that the weapon icons have been ripped, I believe that people know the offsets for the icons. What I believe we (the GS Hacking community) could do, rather than waiting for somebody to code an icon editor into TLA, or a new tool in general, is use these offsets/palettes to make our own icons and insert them using the infamous "GBA Graphics Editor" coded by Nintenlord. For those who don't know (Though, I'm pretty sure Nintenlord was like THE legend back in the day, and his tools are more famous than he is in most hacking communities) GBAGE is a universal tool for editing graphics and palettes in Gameboy Advance ROMs. Given this, it would work for Golden Sun, given the correct offset and palette data. All that we need to know is this data.

On a side note, it's 5 AM, I've been up since 12 PM yesterday, and I'm probably half asleep typing this post, so I really do apologize if this makes no sense whatsoever.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Okay, that could work...

But first, did you consider that they may be compressed? (Well, most of GS's graphics are compressed, but there are a few graphics that aren't.)

@Character Portraits:  This might be one of the things that aren't compressed, but I forget??? So I will need to check. (These are in the Master File Table, if I recall... the entry where Atrius's editor is bugged, so you can't actually see them. - But apparently you aren't using the latest version of Atrius's Editor, so what am I saying...)

@Item/Psynergy/Status icons: Already have a compressor for that, and there's also a tutorial topic by Caledor.

[spoiler]But anyway, as a gist, one does not need to know the compression to rip the sprites out via emulator... as you have the print screen button on the keyboard. (And also various tools like VBA's memory viewer to view RAM (post-decompression)) .... Compression may still need to be known if reading the ROM through an editor, though.

In a situation where something is compressed, there are these solutions, though:
-Copy what GS Toolkit did, and insert all of them uncompressed... along with a code modification to skip the decompression. (If you were to store all compressed content (graphics, map stuff, etc.) in the game as uncompressed, there might not be enough room, though.)
-Create a simple compressor (Depending on which format is used depends on whether I have already coded that or not.) I do have a Compression Formats topic somewhere (Not sure if that's all of them?), and that shows Golden Sun has a bunch of compression formats for various data. (Unlike most games I've seen which may have just 1 or 2. - Fortunately and unfortunately for us, those specific compression formats do not carry over to Dark Dawn. But ofcourse that's because it is a DS game using compression formats that DS games are known for using.)[/spoiler]
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

It makes sense to me! What sucks about a lot of Golden Sun's graphic data is that the majority of it is compressed to some degree, as Fox said, but there are definitely some things that your suggestion would work for; NPC/field object shadows and the red text box crystal seen in battles are a couple of the things I can think of!

In general, I think the hacking documentation has pointers to some of this data but I'm not sure whether the game's palette formats would be compatible with GBAGE either. :/

Also, yeah the editor you've taken a screenshot of is really far behind! Would you like us to give you a link to the latest version?
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

^ Oh yes, don't forget the fonts! (Both of them.)

The hacking documentation is also pretty long, so I'm not sure if they'll get lost looking through it. A good hint, though, is to use the Find feature?

*Looks at this*
QuoteAlso, yeah the editor you've taken a screenshot of is really far behind! Would you like us to give you a link to the latest version?
*Looks at screen shot*
*Looks back at this*
Quoterather than waiting for somebody to code an icon editor into TLA, or a new tool in general
*Looks back at screenshot*

Hm? So why are we using a downgraded version again?

And no worries about the link, I can point the way... Magical love fairy time!
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Rolina

Shouldn't you be linking to the updated version of it you put out thought?

Salanewt

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

I'd say the main problem with that... is that there's no bueatiful topic saying... hey, here's a product that I'm actually encouraging you to edit... please do, and yadda yadda yadda... Although, the license stuff may still be there.
It's too bad that I was the only one to work on it... between Atrius's last version and that one, though. Anyone who wants to take over can do so freely, though... As I'm not in active development with that version.

And because I think that licensing is kinda overrated, I left it off my C# version(s). - It would still be about the same, though. ... freeware and open-source , I'd like to think of it as owned by the Community instead of an individual, but well... I'm the only one who seems to be coding it, oh well. - Well, there may have been one time in the distant past someone may have looked into it, but anyway. Not sure if that counts.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Attila

Quote from: Lord Squirtle on 09, June, 2017, 09:50:41 PM
Also, yeah the editor you've taken a screenshot of is really far behind! Would you like us to give you a link to the latest version?
Honestly, that wasn't my screenshot, I just googled the editor's name. I was on my other computer, which has basically nothing on it to kinda give you guys an image to go along with my horrible half-asleep explanation.
All that said, I will find the documentation if I'm able to, and sift through it tonight

Salanewt

Haha, well I should apologize for assuming! Fox has a few links to the hacking documentation if you feel like checking that out sometime. :P

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden