News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Help finding some memory addresses

Started by Plexa, 08, July, 2017, 05:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plexa

The other day I found this oob stuff in jupiter lighthouse: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/157338573

I've been trying to track down the flag/addresses that indicate this kind of skip could be used elsewhere. My rudimentary brute-force RAM search has turned up nothing lol

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

The other day (When studying stuff on your last topic), I saw code putting data in the flags as bytes... I thought that was odd, but thought nothing of it...

Now, after thinking about your thing for a bit, it just occurred to me.... that that was the way it transferred the coordinates to the next room.

The flags are at 0x380 (8 bits for X position), and 0x388 (8 bits for Y position)
0x020000B0 = Address of where those flags are if you choose to edit from memory instead of flag menu.

And those are in area based flags, so leaving Jupiter Lighthouse altogether will reset them back to 0.

Map 286 (Mars Lighthouse) has it at 020000A8! (0x340) - Possible to use for a skip?? I don't know. -

286:11 =  Number does NOT get set to 0 after landing. ; Only works with door 11. (So unless you can manipulate the number (Like maybe keep it at 00 00), and get this door some other way, may not be manipulative?) And since the number doesn't reset to 0, Retreat glitch not useful??

Jupiter Lighthouse isn't based on door and simple requires the values to be non-zero. They are 0'd after landing.

Ofcourse, Mars Lighthouse example isn't about cracked ground, but rather falling through the darkness....
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Plexa

Mars lighthouse is falling down after the Sol Blade puzzle. Ironically, that information isn't cleared when you fall down! If you get an encounter after falling down (but not leaving the room) then you get warped back to where you fell down lol

Update: Disappointingly it doesn't appear that this behavior is useful anywhere else. I only found Mars Lighthouse and Anemos Inner Sanctum to have this behavior. Mars lighthouse fails because retreat glitching and falling down sends you to the 0,0 door near Madra while in Anemos you can successfully store information to 0x020000B0 but no room will trigger loading that information.