News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Editor crashes when trying to edit monster stats

Started by System_shock, 31, July, 2017, 01:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

System_shock

Hey all!

I'm using Version 0.4 and the editor keeps freezing whenever I'm trying to edit a monster's individual stats (not group!). I've tried deleting and re-installing the editor already to no avail (along with running it as an admin, changing compatibility settings, etc.)

Also, error messages like these keep popping up whenever I try to edit my party member's stats

ERROR in
action number 4
of End Step Event
for object obj_eParty:

Error in code at line 6:
   level=f_level.value
                 ^
at position 16: Unknown variable value

It seems as if some variables in the program aren't being declared or initialized correctly, but I don't know how to fix it. I'm running on Windows 10. And yes, I have GSdatahandler.dll, language.ini, and scripting.ini in my root folder with the actual editor itself.

Thanks guys!

Salanewt

Huh! Silly question but have you tried restarting your computer?
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

System_shock

Yeah, I've restarted my computer a few times already. The editor used to work fine a few months ago (still using Windows 10 at that time) but IDK why it refuses to work for me now.

My ROM file isn't corrupted because I can load it up just fine on VBA (Golden Sun and TLA both work perfectly fine).

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

The most confusing errors are the ones that we don't know how to reproduce. And this seems like it might be one of them...

Umm.... Do older versions of the editor work? (0.2, 0.3, etc?)

P.S. = While I strongly doubt it, it'd be really funny if an anti-virus could cause similar errors. :P

http://gamedesign.wikidot.com/gamemaker:unknown-variable = Hmm... interesting. But probably does not have the answer? ....
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

System_shock

I've tried using the older versions too; one of the versions (don't remember which one b/c I deleted it already) immediately CTD when I load up a Golden Sun rom. The other older versions have the same exact problems I'm experiencing with Version 0.4.

Oddly enough, the April fools hex editor works just fine although I have no idea how to use it lol. I didn't even think about the anti-virus thing though (Thanks for pointing that out!), I'll go check it out and post an update later on today.

If it wasn't the anti-virus (What anti-virus do you have, anyway?), another option you could look into is to see if you can install the game maker program (That the editor was made in) if you haven't, maybe it has some other things that get installed that make things work... But I've no idea? (It's doubtful, but it's always worth looking into every possibility.) -- (Not sure if it's like... something requiring an older version of something(?) where a newer version doesn't work?)

Also... I forgot to mention the newest version of Atrius's Editor was in the News & Announcements forum. 0.5 ... and is open-sourced. - (It is not the latest modified version since people like me may have modified it some in the past, but it is the latest official version by Atrius. ; For a while now, I do not have any current plans to work on Atrius's version since I wanted to work on my own version using C# for right now. :P  Not big on Game Maker, but it is good for micro-games and stuff, if anyone ever wants to make them.  Basically the length of games you may find on addictinggames, armorgames, etc.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

System_shock

Now I'm really confused - I allowed the app through windows firewall, and now I'm getting this error message upon startup (and the program hangs so I have to kill it via task manager)

for object obj_stresstest:

Error defining an external function.

I removed it from the app list, but it's still giving me this error. I'm going to delete V0.4 from my computer and take a look at V0.5. to see if it'll work for me. I'll look into downloading game maker and see if that'll fix anything or not.

EDIT - just installed version 0.5. the "error defining an external function" message doesn't pop up anymore, but i'm essentially back to square one since i'm still having trouble editing the enemy data.

Now that's an error I recognize!

Which turns out to also be one I'm not sure how to replicate.

I think it usually has to do with not being able to access gsdatahandler.dll or whatever. (Can't say.) -  And I think this might be an error where sometimes a restart helps. (Unless I'm mistaken, and even then it is not a guarantee(?).)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

System_shock

Wednesday has been a really hectic day for me (not in a good way!), so I haven't had time to try out the game maker thing.

Funny enough, I didn't even bother trying to run the editor on another computer. I'll do both later on today and re-update.

System_shock

Well what do you know - I installed the editor on my laptop yesterday (also runs on Windows 10) and, lo and behold, it works fine!

I'm still not sure what the bug is, but I'm glad I'm able to get the thing up and running now.

That's nice to hear! It brings you one step closer to the solution.

Might I ask if it works when you log in through a different user?

Just in case anything in say...
C:\Users\Tea\AppData\ (aka: Windows key + R (Run) :  %appdata%)
and similar...
could have any effect.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden