News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Test 0-7 Maps

Started by Salanewt, 04, August, 2017, 02:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salanewt

Okay, so this is basically just a quick post about those rooms. I've been going through the map editor in gsmagic and looking at the heightmap data of various rooms and figured out what most of these test rooms are based on:

Test Rooms; Heightmap:
0 - Taopo Swamp Cave (steam vents above Venus djinni)
1 - Madra/Garoh/Prox Cave Interior
2 - Contigo
3 - Kandorean Temple (pillar cave, with fallen monk)
4 - Kibombo Mountains (area with dog)
5 - ??? (one tall platform and two event tiles)
6 - Anemos Inner Sanctum (rooms with Charon)
7 - Daila Exterior (Flooded)

These heightmaps/layouts aren't identical to the ones that are encountered during normal gameplay though, especially that first one.

[spoiler=Test 0 = Taopo Swamp]
Visual Map of Taopo Swamp:

Heightmap:
Taopo Swamp:

Test 0:

Event Placement:
Taopo Swamp:

Test 0:

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Test 5 = ???]

This image is a mockup of Test 5's heightmap placement with its two event tiles layered over it. The event tile on the right also has a layer tile that puts the player on layer 1, but I'm not sure why this is here.

The event tiles have IDs 1 and 5; while there is nothing for them in the room's code as far as I can tell, there is code for event IDs 8, 9, A, and B which are undefined in the map tile placement.

The functions for them are in this window:

Each one seems to clear a flag and do something with djinn but I'm not entirely sure what.
[/spoiler]

Aside from being smaller, the rest of the maps appear to have the same heightmap and event placement as the ones they are based off of. That being said, we are not 100% certain if they really are smaller or if there is more to them that current editors are unable to read.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Good work!

I thought about this earlier, but it's possible the Heightmap may continue off the edge rather than just abruptly ending, but I was too lazy to absolutely make sure.... so....
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

Not sure how I missed your reply before; thanks!

It's definitely possible; neither gsmagic or the original editor seem to recognize anything beyond these boundaries, though maybe one day we'll know for sure!

Also, I updated the first post with more images and info. As far as I can tell only Test 0 is based on an earlier (probably) version of an existing map while Test 5 is likely its own thing; the rest of these maps seem to have 1:1 event and heightmap placement for layer 1 but on every layer.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?