News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Sand glitching

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 18, August, 2017, 09:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

This instance is not abusable as far as I'm aware... but I want to document it anyway.... in case anything similar could be researched elsewhere.

Result:

(Going to call these by layer 1-3, rather than 0-2 for right now.)

Tilemap EVENTS for layer 3: (Sand and impassible tiles) (As it is initially... as in... before the statue is moved... because if the statue is moved, at least one tile is changed. The one south of where the statue started.)

How it works:

As a PC, you usually start on layer 1. When you use Sand, a function in the Map Code may be called. (Listed in map's events list) that could switch you to layer 3.... Sand only works on tiles that are "Sand tiles" on layer 3, so if you leave the Sand tiles, you'll revert to layer 1.
In the picture, we are trying to go to the tile that is at ground level, and is not an impassable tile, but once we leave the sand tiles, we immediately go back to layer 1/exit Sand mode... Making it so the tile you would be on now would be an impassable tile. Event id 0xFF.... Which is especially unfortunate since not all collision relies on event id 0xFF... There are lots of places that just use the height table.

When you are in the center of an 0xFF tile, you can't really move in any direction... Unless you are close enough to the edge... (In which case you walk where you came from.) So this isn't exactly a game-breaking bug.

--
If it is what it looks like... going through warps on any layer... will result in being on layer 1 in the next room... Hmmm... No surprise if the npc data gets unloaded/reloaded between rooms?... But it is still an unfortunate to see this possibility of a glitch also go away.... when I think of out-of-bounds stuff... Because had it been possible, you could have also had a chance to go out-of-bounds in the next room, I'm thinking.... (Would have also been limited to Sand rooms that switch layers, in that case... or anything that might do the same.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Plexa

Sounds like being able to wedge yourself into the wall? We do something like this currently where we wedge ourselves into the wall by forcing sand to end, and then we are in range of the move statue and can cast move on it. Saves doing about half of Ankhol Ruins.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/27756417
^This?

Yeah, that's pretty clever!
I'm going to guess I know why.... You're technically still on the non-solid tile when you get out of sand. (Normally, you can't get that close to the edge of it.)
My "discovery" was more or less about tilemap errors... but yours mostly looks like a functionality error... :) Both of which fit this topic.

I feel like the ability to go to higher ground in that example at the end... would be a combination of the tiles used after the statue moves, and the fact the tile has two heights. (Diagonal tile.)

There's another place you can go into the wall b/c of tilemap error/s... but it isn't useful either.

--
I am not sure if objects being moved around from Retreat Glitching can be moved (with psynergy) where they need to be to get around in any case.... but I doubt it'd be useful anyway.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Plexa