News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Best Map Editor?

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 19, August, 2017, 09:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Reeeally not sure where to put this.

But I want some map editor examples.... so that I can figure out gsmagic, I guess.
Basically something that gives a goal to strive for...

Map Editors I know about (But it's been awhile/so should probably check them again?): (Probably not that good?)

DoubleHelix (Metroid)
Lunar Magic (SMW) (That's why Pg Up/Pg Down changes map)
Hyrule Magic
Lazy Shell (SMRPG)
EliteMap (Pokemon, but Pokemon isn't complex like GS, is it?)
EggVine/whatever (Yoshi's Island)

Hm....Most of those games just use flat maps.... :/
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

I remember using a couple different Pokemon map editors and Toad's Tool for SM64 when I first started hacking, but it's been a while.

Don't forget about Yoshi Magic either! Even though I feel like you might want to update how it works somewhat.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Alright.

I'm thinking Pokemon is too simple of an example...?
Toad's Tool... maybe... but it is a bit different than the type of example I was looking for.
And Yoshi Magic... is kind of a messed up example... and since I developed it, I kind of /want/ to say it doesn't count. :P (It still counts, though.)

All of those still fit in this topic, but don't really fit well for what my intentions were. = Looking for a map editor that can help me come up with ideas to improve gsmagic. Er....

http://www.romhacking.net/?page=utilities&category=12&platform=&game=&author=&os=&level=&perpage=20&title=&desc=&utilsearch=Go

One example:
http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/screenshots/875screenshot1.png
Look what's in the title bar... I could consider doing something similar, or I could do something else. ... (Just a quick simple example. Though, it's not that helpful. Well, it may be helpful to know that it is a thing, though.)

Skimming through most of the editors, though... it looks like amateurs designed them. So it can be hard to find the masterpieces...

SceneNavi (?) (OoT/MM Editor) could be an example of a "Masterpiece"...
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Lord Wolfram

In Fire Emblem hacking they use Tiled to make maps and then insert those maps in the pointer addresses to replace an existing map.
Well if similar methods can be applied to Golden sun then we can work something out.

Tiled?

A great majority of GBA games work by using map tiles. GBA's built-in BG Modes even work via 8x8 tiled... ; But in my experence, I feel like it is common to see 4 of those tiles together to make 16x16 tiles.... and then there are games like Banjo Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge (or whatever), that do even more tiles... which I think makes 32x32 tiles...

(Also, let's not forget some of the 3D games.... but those are rare for the GBA. (There were at least a couple, though.))

--
GS does the Tilemap (16x16 tiles) , linking to a tile table (8x8 tiles)... ... I had assumed all the tiles go in the order used in the map... but I still need to verify that after seeing what looked like an unused tile. (Not sure if referenced in the tilemap or not... given how it works and how lazy I am.)

I feel like it might be something like this in some situations... (pattern. but ofcourse the map data header contains info on where each layer is, so...)
xxxyyy--
xxxyyy--
02018000 (example)
zzz-----
zzz-----

x=layer 1
y=layer 2
z=layer 3
-= out of layer tiles... ; The last two per row usually omitted? ; And sometimes there are times a map can be wide enough layer 2 has to go after.

Even worse = Tiles may look different based on layer because layers can have different char bases assigned to them.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

dawnbomb

i found the shining force map editors easy to use. just gotta look for outside info about layers and some such, but yeah..

if possible that ones format i think is honestly the best

Okay cool.

Layers? Eh? Is there a possibility it works very similar to Golden Sun? - /(like, not just 3 layers for graphics, but also for events, height, etc... and each npc picks which layer to use.)

@that ones: For which?
SF1 = https://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/viewtopic.php?t=15145
Would that be a good example? I haven't even looked at it, yet, though.. (So don't even know if it has a map editor. :P)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden